Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 LastLast

Thread: SIG P365 XL - SIGs answer to the G48

I'm *this close* to going for an optic ready Shield since I've already got a Shield 1.0 and holster but the extra capacity of the 365 and the thumb safety (which doesn't seem to be an option on the OR Shield) have me holding off.

The one time I rented a 365 the grip just felt too small to my hands that have no issue with the Shield so I really need to hit the indoor range again and rent one of these again to be sure one way or the other.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I'm *this close* to going for an optic ready Shield since I've already got a Shield 1.0 and holster but the extra capacity of the 365 and the thumb safety (which doesn't seem to be an option on the OR Shield) have me holding off.

The one time I rented a 365 the grip just felt too small to my hands that have no issue with the Shield so I really need to hit the indoor range again and rent one of these again to be sure one way or the other.
    I agree, which is why I skipped the P365. My wife however, loves it because it fits her diminutive hands perfectly. If you want the grip, and the 12 rounds, of the XL, buy a P365 and a P365XL grip module (maybe $39? I can't recall) plus a 12 round mag (mags are almost $45, wince ).

The FCU pops out of the frame after pushing out the one pin at the rear (I use my Glock armorer's tool heh ). So putting the P365 FCU (which "is" the gun) into the XL frame takes maybe 30 seconds, It really is that easy.

Some have commented the TS of the P365 is not particularly well laid out; Chris Baker mentions it in his video on luckygunner.com I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I agree, which is why I skipped the P365. My wife however, loves it because it fits her diminutive hands perfectly. If you want the grip, and the 12 rounds, of the XL, buy a P365 and a P365XL grip module (maybe $39? I can't recall) plus a 12 round mag (mags are almost $45, wince ).

Some have commented the TS of the P365 is not particularly well laid out; Chris Baker mentions it in his video on luckygunner.com I believe.
    Sorry, I wasn稚 clear. The XL is what I rented and what I値l try again. I have a suspicion I wasn稚 adapting my grip to the smaller than expected size.

EDIT: HA! I found the post where I talked about renting the XL: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post915511

The TS of the Shield isn稚 anything to write home about either. If it were like the bigger M&Ps or a 1911 it would be a lot more user friendly.
    Last edited by awp_101; 08-21-2020 at 09:49 PM.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter

I知 in the same boat - I prefer my shield 2.0 vs my P365xl. I can shoot the shield better and with less effort. I知 thinking I値l sell my P365xl and continue in with my shield until Smith makes a shield m3.0 to compete with the 365

Let me put it this way - I've been running a Gen1 Shield for years as my primary CCW. I put some Apex trigger internals in and had aftermarket night sights installed (see my small claim to fame, pardon the grammar errors). I've put thousands of rounds through this Gen1 Shield and I've learned to shoot it well. I've since moved to AmeriGlo I-Dots on my other M&Ps and absolutely love them.

I had been considering getting a Shield 2.0 to go along with it, since I'm so invested in Shield mags and holsters, but decided to wait when the 365 (and later 365XL) were announced. When the XL was announced to have optic support I was intrigued, as it has really taken off in the past few years.

The 365XL feels better in my hand - curves might look good on a handgun, but your fingers are not curved so I appreciate that the SIG seems to fit my hand better. Without an optic installed, the SIG nite sights were quite nice and certainly usable. The trigger in my Shield is slightly better, but it also has Apex internals and 2,000+ rounds to smooth it out - my 365XL has just over 500 now.

The 365XL is definitely longer and taller, but it feels narrower - my SIG will fit in a holster for the Shield (but not click in obviously), but the Shield will not fit in the 365XL holster. I just took quick measurements with a digital caliper, and they both measure 1" wide at the slide.. could be variations in holster molding, though they are both from the same company.

I believe I posted this picture before, maybe in the Holosun 507k thread -

Name:  365xl-vs-shield-10rnd.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  52.0 KB

Once I get a few hundred more issue-free rounds (and I have yet to test defensive loads) the SIG will likely become my new CCW. I have yet to try replacing the XL grip with the regular, as magazine prices are insane ($40/ea, and I have to get 10 rounders). Putting a regular slide on the XL grip would be interesting but I'd lose the red dot, and in practice around the house and at the range the Holosun does NOT hurt my concealability (for me). My only issue is training to use the dot as that is very new to me.
    Last edited by MikeyCNY; 08-22-2020 at 12:02 PM.

Again, picture from my training log: below shows the jm custom kydex R/C holster mounted on the BSPS D/OH attachment.

Name:  IMG_7489.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  27.2 KB

I did some Dry Practice of untimed and timed draws, felt pretty well. Obviously it's an adjustment in size down from my G19. I felt very very rusty, it's been months and months since I shot a match. I just have the five mags (2 with the gun, 3 bought from Osage while they had stock). First competition use of this rig should be Friday evening, with a local 4-stage, assuming we aren't rained out. I have it snugged in but no lock-tite yet, I want to use it in a match and then lock it down.

Ran another 12 rounds through my 365XL today zeroing a new Holosun 507K. Gun shoots very softly with 147gr HST, and I was easily able to keep three rounds in a 3x5 card at 25 yards. Pretty impressed with VERY limited shooting so far...

Quote Originally Posted by Brianjkeene View Post
    I知 in the same boat - I prefer my shield 2.0 vs my P365xl. I can shoot the shield better and with less effort. I知 thinking I値l sell my P365xl and continue in with my shield until Smith makes a shield m3.0 to compete with the 365
    When will the P365XL hit the Classifieds?

Figured I'd add a few updates. I am starting to see some issues on mags where the tube is cracking at the top near the follower and on the back of the feed lips. This is a picture of a 12 round mag that has I don't know how many thousands of rounds through it. An entire piece shattered off on the right side and the left is developing cracks in the same area. The 15 rounder is maybe 2 months old and only been used once or twice. Out of the 15 or so mags I have these are the only ones to display this issue yet but something to be aware of. The pictured 12 rounder began having feeding issues, particularly with 147 grain AE (flat nose).

Attachment 59303

Attachment 59304

I am a little over 2500 rounds into the 507k now with no issues to report thus far. No battery changes needed yet. I started with the circle dot reticle and changed to just the dot once I felt comfortable acquiring the dot. The circle dot reticle has been great for learning, especially for my wife who shoots very little. She finds it very easy to pick up. I've included pictures of the co-witness which I find to be usable. The POI/POA is the same as it was with the stock rear sight plate installed, drive the dot sight picture. I also included pictures of how little overhang the optic body has over the slide. I'm pretty impressed by this little dot so far. My only comparisons are an RMR, Romeo Zero, and Romeo 1 Pro.

Attachment 59305

Attachment 59306

Attachment 59307

Attachment 59308

@tlong17, all US mags on the 12 round ones with issues? Were any damaged when dropped or was it during usage? If they broke during usage did it cause a malfunction when it happened? I am also curious if there were malfunctions you would consider warning of the early failure, (issues with 147gr?). Thank you for any more info you can provide.

User Tag List