Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Out with the Italians and in with the Austrians

Out with the Italians and in with the Austrians

Last week I sold my Berettas and jumped headfirst into Glock again. The reasons for leaving Beretta were basically that I had accomplished what I set out to do:
    -Learn to run a DA/SA gun
    -See if Beretta was somehow magically more accurate than a Glock (not really, for me anyway)
    -Enjoy the "soul" aspect of a non-plastic striker gun and just try something else.

And I found that:
    -They're heavy
    -They're thick
    -They don't shoot that much better (if any); but they are easier to shoot (heavier frame + lighter trigger = easier to shoot)
    -Simplicity has a soul all its own.

So with that out of the way, I picked up a pair of Gen 5 MOS G19's. Further, @karmapolice was kind enough to lend me one of his ACRO's. I really went with the MOS guns to get the non-cutout front straps. The ability to mount optics was secondary. I went with G19's over G45's because of better concealability.

So far they shoot great. I am going to have to get shorter front sights from Ameriglo, which kinda sucks, but oh well, it's only money, right? The .180 fronts are hitting drive-the-dot for me vs my preferred tops of blades sight picture.

Some 25yd groups with the irons gun (I'm holding top of black on the B8):

And then the ACRO gun after a preliminary 7yd zero:

The groups definitely tighten up with the ACRO, but I worked some speed stuff from the holster (draw 2H, Bills) and found myself to be slower and less accurate with the ACRO than what I could pick up the iron-sighted gun and do. I'm sure it's a training thing, but I'm not sure I'm ready to dedicate that much time, money, ammo to learning a new sighting system for close, fast, defensive shooting just to score a little better at 25yds.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

What kind of sights do you have on there now? The Gen5 19’s come with .200 front sights, which seems to be drive the dot for most people. I switched to a .180 front sight, but it moved the POI up too much. I ended up getting a .190 from Ameriglo, and that seems to just right.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    What kind of sights do you have on there now? The Gen5 19’s come with .200 front sights, which seems to be drive the dot for most people. I switched to a .180 front sight, but it moved the POI up too much. I ended up getting a .190 from Ameriglo, and that seems to just right.
    The sights are Ameriglo .180 front .256 rear that I had on my G45 before I put the adjustable Dawsons on.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Traditore! Sei morto per me.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    I'm sure it's a training thing, but I'm not sure I'm ready to dedicate that much time, money, ammo to learning a new sighting system for close, fast, defensive shooting just to score a little better at 25yds.
    While I have just barely started my RDS journey, I am not sure that's an accurate summary of what one ultimately gains with red dot proficiency. Rather, I think it's just an example of the immediate gain you get as a beginner with a RDS.

Ultimately, it seems one can get approximately just as fast as irons up close, while allowing an enhanced sense of precision at all distances, obviating the need for visual focal plane changes and also improving one's trigger pull (due to the enhanced feedback a dot brings regarding the gun's movement during the firing sequence).

I feel obligated as the designated Beretta shill to point out that Beretta makes polymer framed guns that use strikers.

I was made painfully aware by a well known holster maker today that there wasn't enough interest in my berettas to make a holster for it. It sucks cause I really like my berettas but hammer fired is dead apparently, especially if you want a wml on it.

I came to the same conclusion shooting my glocks against my berettas and it ultimately turned out to be a tie for me. I was hoping for a clear winner but I guess I just proved I'll shoot whatever pistol about the same.

The clear winner is definitely glock for carry. Can't compete with weight and thinness.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    I feel obligated as the designated Beretta shill to point out that Beretta makes polymer framed guns that use strikers.
    ...and shoot every bit as good as a Glock or better.

Quote Originally Posted by 10mmfanboy View Post
    I was made painfully aware by a well known holster maker today that there wasn't enough interest in my berettas to make a holster for it. It sucks cause I really like my berettas but hammer fired is dead apparently, especially if you want a wml on it.

I came to the same conclusion shooting my glocks against my berettas and it ultimately turned out to be a tie for me. I was hoping for a clear winner but I guess I just proved I'll shoot whatever pistol about the same.

The clear winner is definitely glock for carry. Can't compete with weight and thinness.
    Dark Star Gear just came out with a holster for 92’s. So at least some are making them.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    The groups definitely tighten up with the ACRO, but I worked some speed stuff from the holster (draw 2H, Bills) and found myself to be slower and less accurate with the ACRO than what I could pick up the iron-sighted gun and do. I'm sure it's a training thing, but I'm not sure I'm ready to dedicate that much time, money, ammo to learning a new sighting system for close, fast, defensive shooting just to score a little better at 25yds.
    Of course, if you are willing to put the effort in to truly learn to shoot a dot, you will be better at so much more than just 25 yard shooting. The dot is the ultimate software investment.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List