Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 45 (gen 5 obviously) trigger gone to complete shit at 1,500 rounds

Would be an expensive option but Glock Triggers offers a trigger kit that’s 100% stock parts with no modifications but all the parts are polished to a mirror finish, even the striker spring. I’ve had one before. Definitely makes things smoother.

Quote Originally Posted by pew_pew View Post
    Would be an expensive option but Glock Triggers offers a trigger kit that’s 100% stock parts with no modifications but all the parts are polished to a mirror finish, even the striker spring. I’ve had one before. Definitely makes things smoother.
    Dremel buffer wheel, toothpaste
    #RESIST

I get nervous about polishing Glock internals. This is what my Gen 4 G17 trigger bar looked like somewhere around the 10k round mark. I lightly buffed it with a felt wheel on a Dremel and after seeing this worried that I somehow ruined the hardness of the metal:

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    I get nervous about polishing Glock internals. This is what my Gen 4 G17 trigger bar looked like somewhere around the 10k round mark. I lightly buffed it with a felt wheel on a Dremel and after seeing this worried that I somehow ruined the hardness of the metal:

You can only ruin the hardness if the part is case hardened. If it's through hardened (and tempered) then hardness is uniform throughout its cross section and you can't hurt it by removing materials.

Not all firearm parts are case hardened.

Some people declare the CZ P-07 and P-09 unfit to carry because of a problem no one seems to be able to reproduce under anything but extreme contortions of trigger manipulation, or not at all (me included), but Glocks are good to go even though this thread shows they have their significant issues too.

And who can forget the Gen 4 RSA shitshow?
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 05-22-2019 at 09:04 AM.

AH556

what does your firing pin safety plunger look like?

mangled up like that?
    Last edited by SW CQB 45; 05-22-2019 at 09:01 AM.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    You can only ruin the hardness if the part is case hardened. If it's through hardened (and tempered) then hardness is uniform throughout its cross section and you can't hurt it by removing materials.

Not all firearm parts are case hardened.
    According to the Glocksmith, T.R. Graham, if you've cut through the electroless nickel finish on Glock internals then you've ruined the part. I do not believe they are through hardened for this fact he mentioned this regarding trigger polishing. At least that was the case as of when the video he made "Making Glock's Rock' was produced (it is an older video).

Some people declare the CZ P-07 and P-09 unfit to carry because of a problem no one seems to be able to reproduce (me included) but Glocks are good to go even though this thread shows they have their significant issues too.

And who can forget the Gen 4 RSA shitshow?
    Or the fact that despite receiving your 'upgraded RSA' as I did with my Gen 3/4 17 pistols... I still was handsomely rewarded with a barely ejecting pistol that threw brass in my face constantly. SO, I gave them another chance to fix it by sending it in on their dime after finally getting the right person on the phone to have shipping covered by Glock both ways only to have my pistols returned exhibiting the same condition with a tech note 'Tested, within spec' and nothing more on the issue.

I gave up and moved on, have yet to return to drinking the Kool-aid... though must admit it is tempting given all the support for Glock's in so many ways. Sadly, I am still of the opinion that Glock's are designed to be produced VERY cheaply and everything else about them is a mere afterthought. That being said, I do appreciate that I can in fact shoot them pretty well without much effort.. as is often true for many people. But, these days there are more and more pistols out there that the same can be said of with often less problems mechanically.
    Last edited by Thy.Will.Be.Done; 05-22-2019 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    AH556

what does your firing pin safety plunger look like?

mangled up like that?
    I don't have that gun anymore, but it looked like this (some flaking, but not nearly as jagged as the trigger bar):

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    According to the Glocksmith, T.R. Graham, if you've cut through the electroless nickel finish on Glock internals then you've ruined the part. I do not believe they are through hardened for this fact he mentioned this regarding trigger polishing. At least that was the case as of when the video he made "Making Glock's Rock' was produced (it is an older video).
    Electroless nickel is a corrosion protection finish. It has nothing to do with the metal's hardness.

Electroless nickel is a corrosion protection finish. It has nothing to do with the metal's hardness.
    True, but that still does not prove they are in fact through hardened. Do you have any data to show they are through hardened?

User Tag List