Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Match today, first Production division win

  1. #11
    WHITE CLAW AFFICIONADO LittleLebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    VA
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Never. I know that many of the people wearing those things paid for them. What's the point, LOL? A golf polo made of wicking fabrics does the same thing and looks normal.


    As an aside, I went to two IDPA matches in the last month and wore a tweed sportcoat as cover garment LOL. Temps were in the 50s and train like you fight, you know?
    Bonus points for saying "the more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war"

    Also...


  2. #12
    Member cor_man257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Florida
    Congrats! At some point I'll win my division at a local match, but it's probably going to take some time.

    Do you think you shot better than previously? We're you just more consistent? In a good mood? Or would you say that your performance was about on average, but without the heat that made your standing better? Anything specific to note that felt different during this match?

    Out of curiosity, what class are you? I'm C class, trying to work my way up.

    -Cory

  3. #13
    Member Alpha Sierra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Western Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    Congrats! At some point I'll win my division at a local match, but it's probably going to take some time.

    Do you think you shot better than previously? We're you just more consistent? In a good mood? Or would you say that your performance was about on average, but without the heat that made your standing better? Anything specific to note that felt different during this match?

    Out of curiosity, what class are you? I'm C class, trying to work my way up.

    -Cory
    Good questions. I'm in C class. Got that in 2015 when I started and since I did nothing between then and now, I'm still there.

    For sure not having any Production heavy hitters definitely helped. As for what I did differently/better, I'm still thinking about it but I'll throw out my initial thoughts.

    I think my stage planning ability is getting better. By that I mean, evaluating a couple of realistic options and picking one that is easier to execute even if it isn't the slickest plan. Right along with that is the self confidence to run that plan without regard to how others did the stage.

    Movement through the stage was definitely better than previous matches. Lately I've been putting more focus on shooting on the move and on position entry and exit (with emphasis on entering a position and being ready to shoot sooner). I did more shooting on the move in this match than in any other previous and I think that was a big help.

    I think my balance of speed and accuracy was right on for the level of competition I was facing yesterday. I had the fastest raw time in only one stage out of six, but I wasn't too far off and my accuracy (raw points) was quite a bit better than those who were in contention with me. Result, a better hit factor even though I was a little slower. No mikes, one NS, and 3 Deltas for the whole match was pretty good.

    I did switch from shooting a CZ 75 to a P-09. My particular P-09 is mechanically more accurate than my 75. Its thinner grip makes indexing out of the holster easier and the shorter reach to the magazine release makes it easier to reacquire a correct grip after a reload because my right hand has to shift hardly at all to reach it.

    Next weekend's match should have more Production shooters. I'll just keep on doing my thing.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 05-20-2019 at 08:20 AM.

  4. #14
    Site Supporter miller_man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Nashville
    Congrats, a win is a win!

    So Iím not the only one shooting the polymer hammer fired CZís in pistol games
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

    Humbly improving with CZ's.

  5. #15
    Site Supporter Zincwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Central Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Never. I know that many of the people wearing those things paid for them. What's the point, LOL? A golf polo made of wicking fabrics does the same thing and looks normal.


    As an aside, I went to two IDPA matches in the last month and wore a tweed sportcoat as cover garment LOL. Temps were in the 50s and train like you fight, you know?
    It was 90 yesterday and steamy.

  6. #16
    Member Alpha Sierra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Western Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    It was 90 yesterday and steamy.
    We're not quite there yet. By mid July we will be though.

  7. #17
    Member Alpha Sierra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Western Ohio
    One other bit of learning over the last three months: the 25 yd B-8 group shooting fetish that's so prevalent here is next to useless as a training tool for practical pistol competition.

    I've tried it and I get more mileage out of seeing how quickly I can get a set number of shots into either the lower or upper A zone at the same distance.

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    One other bit of learning over the last three months: the 25 yd B-8 group shooting fetish that's so prevalent here is next to useless as a training tool for practical pistol competition.

    I've tried it and I get more mileage out of seeing how quickly I can get a set number of shots into either the lower or upper A zone at the same distance.
    Nearly every timmie/PF drill is a stand upright and shoot proposition, where USPSA is game of shooting and moving, best if shooting while moving, and the stationary shooting is often while leaning or in a contorted position.

    As an aside, here are my thoughts on the winning part of USPSA. To sustain a long term interest in USPSA, you have to love the process, and be motivated by continuing to grow as a shooter. Face it, we all suck compared to JJ, and there will always be someone faster and better, if you shoot matches above the club level. Division wins at the club match level are nearly participation awards, and if you need that motivation, you better get good at picking your fellow competitors, because that is probably the biggest predictor of how well you will do. I have seen a bunch of shooters primarily motivated by winning, who quickly burn out when they arenít winning.

    If you can love the process, matches are an amazing way to benchmark your performance and motivate your training. There are a lot of days, though, when you are making a long drive home after having gotten your ass beat by a 13 year old girl or an old fat guy!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

  9. #19
    WHITE CLAW AFFICIONADO LittleLebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    VA
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Nearly every timmie/PF drill is a stand upright and shoot proposition, where USPSA is game of shooting and moving, best if shooting while moving, and the stationary shooting is often while leaning or in a contorted position.

    As an aside, here are my thoughts on the winning part of USPSA. To sustain a long term interest in USPSA, you have to love the process, and be motivated by continuing to grow as a shooter. Face it, we all suck compared to JJ, and there will always be someone faster and better, if you shoot matches above the club level. Division wins at the club match level are nearly participation awards, and if you need that motivation, you better get good at picking your fellow competitors, because that is probably the biggest predictor of how well you will do. I have seen a bunch of shooters primarily motivated by winning, who quickly burn out when they arenít winning.

    If you can love the process, matches are an amazing way to benchmark your performance and motivate your training. There are a lot of days, though, when you are making a long drive home after having gotten your ass beat by a 13 year old girl or an old fat guy!
    Changing my title ASAP.

  10. #20
    Member Alpha Sierra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Western Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Nearly every timmie/PF drill is a stand upright and shoot proposition, where USPSA is game of shooting and moving, best if shooting while moving, and the stationary shooting is often while leaning or in a contorted position.

    As an aside, here are my thoughts on the winning part of USPSA. To sustain a long term interest in USPSA, you have to love the process, and be motivated by continuing to grow as a shooter. Face it, we all suck compared to JJ, and there will always be someone faster and better, if you shoot matches above the club level. Division wins at the club match level are nearly participation awards, and if you need that motivation, you better get good at picking your fellow competitors, because that is probably the biggest predictor of how well you will do. I have seen a bunch of shooters primarily motivated by winning, who quickly burn out when they arenít winning.

    If you can love the process, matches are an amazing way to benchmark your performance and motivate your training. There are a lot of days, though, when you are making a long drive home after having gotten your ass beat by a 13 year old girl or an old fat guy!
    This isn't my first rodeo at competition, so I'm well aware of the tough row to hoe that's in front of me. The last sentence in my original post encapsulates my understanding of that pretty well.

    I'm too old to be a contender at any major level, plus I have other things that I place a higher priority on. I do this for my own enjoyment, and a significant part of the enjoyment is to see the results of my work off the match show up on match day. I have my own stats that I track that help me measure beyond division placement.

    While division wins at the local level may be participation trophies, I'll celebrate the small victories with joy, a beer, and a cigar.

    For reference, I competed in NRA/CMP service rifle for close to nine years, reaching Master in two seasons; and reached A class in NSCA sporting clays in three seasons. In both of those I've had my share of class/category wins as well as the literal 13 year old that whipped my ass.

    I can deal with it.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 05-20-2019 at 06:25 PM.

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •