Thread: Gunsmithing tools needed for a Beretta PX4 Storm compact, SIG P229 et al.

Gunsmithing tools needed for a Beretta PX4 Storm compact, SIG P229 et al.

I am not much of a gunsmith, but I'm learning by breaking (unfortunately).

My first question is what kind of roll pin punch & hammer should I use on the retaining pin when swapping out my safety/decocking levers on my Beretta PX4 Storm (Beretta part: 682 / DT-10 / PX4 Retaining Pin)?

I ask because in my first attempt I ended up getting the pin half way through both sections of the slide (indicating the lever was aligned) before I then bent and broke it (someone recently stated said they successfully used a 5/64th which is technically thicker). I assume that once I bent it, there was too much friction which is why I had to use more force which broke it (lesson learned). I was using a chrome-vanadium Steel 1/16th roll pin punch if that tells you anything and, unfortunately, a way too large 16 ounce hammer (which probably tells you everything).

When shopping on Brownells, MidwayUSA, and eBay for a gunsmithing hammer, for example, I've seen them ranging from .25 to 16 ounces (albeit the most common seem to be 4 & 8-ounce hammers), so I am trying to prioritize the things I am apt to use first. They also come in a number of varieties (brass vs ballpeen hammers, for example).

In general, I am also curious as to what other gunsmithing-specific tools should I have. The only dedicated gunsmithing devices I have at the moment are as follows:

• a bench vice

• a gun vice (Tipton’s Best Gun Vise)

• a set of inexpensive Skyhawk roll pin punches (which now have a broken 1/16th),

• plenty of metric and English Allen wrenches,

• and a few odds and ends like a Glock front sight removal tool.

In addition to my PX4 Storm, I also have a few other guns I might do some work on (SIG P229, S&W M&P Shield, M&P Bodyguard, Ruger LCP II, a number of Glocks, Ruger Mark IV 22/45, AR-15, Marlin 795, and a Remington V3 shotgun. At some point I hope to get a 1911 as well.

After successfully removing/installing about a dozen sights or so (mostly dealing with Glocks), I finally ruined a relatively expensive pair on another gun not too long ago. Up until now I have usually had the sense to say "When!" after suspecting I shouldn't attempt to apply any more force when things got too difficult (resigning my remaining efforts to a gunsmith to finish the job). So now I am much more eager to get the right tools for the job than I have in the past. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of friends or family that are shooters, so I have to get my advice online. Moreover, I have to prioritize as the can get a bit pricey (especially with sight pushers).
    Last edited by sheepdog; 05-19-2019 at 11:48 AM.
    “There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance – that principle is contempt prior to investigation.” – Herbert Spencer

User Tag List