Thread: Mono vision

Mono vision

Hello, new to forum. My eyesight ain't what it used to be and I'm having trouble focusing on my sights. I wear bifocals. I'm going in for an eye exam next and am considering mono vision lenses. Have any of you tried this ? What are your recommendations? Thanks

Yes, I would not shoot iron sights in IDPA and USPSA without it.
    Will your optometrist let you bring in a pistol? Cap gun? Ruler with a map pin?

I know people who see monovision all the time via contacts, LASIK, or implants. Don't know if I would want to go that far.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Tried it for a couple of years and it did not work as well for me as the current generation of multi-focal contacts, which may be another option. Monovision actually had the effect of moving my dominant eye for a while. A fellow shooter was the first to discover this when he asked my why I was tilting my head so badly when I shot, I was not even aware it had happened.

Everybody's situation is different.

Multi focal's put me back in the shooting game at a time when I was seriously struggling to see my sights. It took a few months to get used to them but they improved every aspect of daily life. Not perfect, but much better in my case.

I went to the optometrist today, brought my ruler with a sight taped to it She said “Good prop, saved us a lot of guess work” . Thanks for the suggestion.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Use caution with monovision. It can cause issues with depth perception. The .feds don’t allow it for flying for just that reason. Years back, there was a land short incident at LGA that was directly related to it. I’m not an optometrist however so...

I only use my mono vision glasses while shooting matches. I have regular glasses for normal wear. I also have very big sights on my carry pistols.

Site Supporter
    I only have mono-vision, never had anything else.

But if the question is ways to manage middle aged eyes (presbyopia) there is another solution.

I have tried a lot of options, my current favorite does require some work with your optometrist/ophthalmologist.

Have them correct your eyes for good distance vision. You probably can't focus on the front sight well. Then ask them to back off by 0.5 diopters. Everything will be a little bit blurry to start. Focus on where your front sight is (replica or real thing) and see of you can bring it mostly into focus. Then check your distance vision and see if you can mostly see everything. If not, you can modify the 0.5 diopters.

Essentially, you are providing a narrower range with which your eye has to accommodate, which is still within your capability. The first moment I put the glasses on, I get a moment of blurry everything. Then my eye adjusts and I can see everything but close up reasonably well. Closer than the front sight, not gonna happen.

This works well for me with a pistol. Rifle and shotgun, I use my full prescription.

Site Supporter
    I use monovision contacts - short range in right eye focused at pistol front sight distance and left eye for "long range". Been doing this for 10+ years

I was nearsighted my whole life. When I developed cataracts my right eye was first, and I had it corrected for distance. A few years went by until my left eye was ready, and I had become used to it and asked for an implant that gave me near vision.

I still use glasses to set at a desk and deal with the monitors, and I for damn sure use glasses to drive at night.

I tried it with contacts for about four hours, when I pulled over and let my wife drive home from dinner. If I had proper lopsided glasses I probably would have stuck with it.

I say with glasses at least to drive it is awsome.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I went with a red dot sight. Works for me.
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

User Tag List