Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Analysis: What do these targets say about my shooting?

Post Analysis: What do these targets say about my shooting?

I realize that if I don't think about not flinching, I flinch.
    Not only flinch, sometimes I close my eyes when I press trigger.
    Very bad.
    Here are few targets from today.
    Am I improving?
    Anything that stands out to improve?

5 yards:

7 yards: one went on the edge

10 yards: one was way off due to flinching

My recommendation is to alternate loading the magazine with 1 live round, 1 dummy round, 1 live round, 1 dummy, etc and just focus on the front sight while keeping the gun still through the trigger press.

There's a lot to unpack there. There is a little bit of low/left bias, which, with a right handed shooter, USUALLY indicates issues with trigger control, finger placement on trigger, etc.

There's a LOT of pattern scatter, which USUALLY indicates a lack of front sight focus - and/or lack of consistency in fundamentals. I SUSPECT that like a lot of shooters, you're performance driven, so you MIGHT be looking at the target between shots, then breaking the next shot without having reestablished a good sight picture. You can get away with target focused shooting, but all your other fundamentals have to be rock solid before you do...

My advice, worth precisely what you're paying for it, is this:

1. Find an instructor who can give you some quality one-on-one and focus on the fundamentals - grip, trigger control, sight picture, sight alignment, follow thru/sight tracking, etc.

2. If you can't/won't find an instructor, find a different range. Preferably an outdoor range with good lighting and less distractions from shooters around you. Then load NO MORE THAN 5 rounds per magazine, and shoot 5-shot strings, focusing on trigger control, grip, sights until you're shooting one hole groups at 3 yards on a small target (DOT TORTURE targets work great for this - printable and plenty of dots). Use a clean "dot" for each string of 5 shots, and WATCH YOUR SIGHTS in recoil. If the front sight isn't lifting straight up out of the notch and coming straight back down, you're introducing deflection into your groups through poor trigger control and/or grip. If you want to know how to fix that, see #1 above, 'cuz NO ONE can "train" you in the basics over the internet (sorry).

What Psalms said.

Random thoughts from someone who started shooting five years ago.

Moar Dry Practice

This is a good starter point for Dry Practice. It helped me, a lot. I went from shooting low right (I am a lefty) in 2014 over the course of time that I can group 10 slow fire on a B-8 (scoring, not in the black, but on the paper) at 25 yards.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....light=practice

Even 10 minutes a day of Wall Drill can help a lot.

Grip Harder

I have a Glock, so this might not apply. But I started with a M&P FS9, not unlike your Compact, and shot thousands of rounds through it with the same hinged trigger. I have found the harder I grip, in slow or rapid fire, the more it seems to isolate the trigger press.

See the Front Sight

I've found I really have to watch the front sight. No peeking at the target. In practice sometimes I wear a set of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Elvex-WELRX45.../dp/B00XPSC20A

I don't see well close up, so the + magnification of the lenses allow me to pick up the front sight during the press and I can then see if it is moving.

Establish some Metrics

Pick a target that you can numerically score and track it over time.

I've selected three; a 25 yard B-8 with 10 shots, slow fire. A drill called "The Test", which is 10 shots in 10 seconds at 10 yards on a B-8. Lastly I use Find Your Level, which is a 10 shot drill on a 1" square (1 shot), 2" circle (2), 3" square (3), and 4" circle (4) starting at 3 yards, going out as you get better.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ing-Your-Level

I have a spreadsheet and I do and record these drills every time I go to the range, so I can see how I improve.

Keep at it! I still say you are better than 90% of the people I see at the gun range. Good for you for trying to get better.

p-f is awesome in that regard and even though I basically suck at shooting, people are still very willing to help out.
    Last edited by RJ; 05-18-2019 at 05:42 AM.

Site Supporter
    Agree fully with what has been said so far about getting good one on one instruction and dry fire....

One issue I have been having lately leads me to mention:
    Do you shoot with only one eye or both eyes open? Have you identified your dominant eye? When was the last time you had your eyes checked?

My issues came upon me gradually, are ongoing, and really hurt my shooting.

While some generalities can be gleaned via pictures on the internet, video is better, and nothing beats a knowledgeable instructor watching you while you shoot and then evaluating your target.

pat

@Mystery, your 10yd target is pretty good. Cut yourself some slack. Shooting handguns is not easy. I agree with Psalms on everything. A good instructor can save you time, money, and a lot of frustration.

Safely dry firing at home on a regular basis can be a big help in learning to press the trigger straight back without moving the sights.

Anticipating the recoil and trying to oppose is with your muscles is very common, and you need to work hard to get past that. However, even the best shooters sometimes mis-time their shot and have a "pre-ignition push". So cut yourself some slack about this as well.

Closing your eyes is a huge problem, but also not uncommon. Of all the things you mentioned, this is the most important to get past. Try earmuffs over good earplugs. Use good safety glasses. Try shooting outdoors. You could try shooting a .22. But until you can keep your eyes open during the entire firing process, you will not be able to improve your shooting beyond a basic level.

Try shooting the gun without worrying about your hits. Just watch the whole process of firing. Look for the muzzle flash and the ejected shell. Watch how the muzzle jumps and try to track the "orbit" of the sights. Just let the gun recoil. Then bring it back on target and fire again. This can burn a lot of ammo.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    My recommendation is to alternate loading the magazine with 1 live round, 1 dummy round, 1 live round, 1 dummy, etc and just focus on the front sight while keeping the gun still through the trigger press.
    I've done this and am always surprised how much my front sight moves in recoil on a dummy round.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    You could try shooting a .22.
    In my opinion this could be very helpful. The smaller recoil of a .22 really bridges the gap between dry fire and a larger caliber handgun - I believe the phrase "ballistic dry fire" has been used on this forum to describe practice with a .22. Probably would produce tighter groups as well, which can feel encouraging.

I held a Walther P22 (?) the other week at the Fun Store. I was pretty tempted to pick one up as a training tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I held a Walther P22 (?) the other week at the Fun Store. I was pretty tempted to pick one up as a training tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Sig Mosquito and Walther p22 are very low quality guns. I recommend a Ruger Mark 3 or Mark 4.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List