Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sun Safety for Shooters

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    Thank you for the thoughtful post. I haven't always been the best in life at protecting myself from the sun, but I have to say that frequent application of SPF 50 sun screen is one of the most important elements of self care I do while teaching class. I really try to reapply every 1-2 hours. Even apart from cancer prevention, I am radically less drained at the end of each day as a result.
    I think I got cancer from your inaugural class in VA
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by idahojess View Post
    Thanks for all the good advice-- off topic for shooting -- but do you have any recommendations for what works under a bike helmet?
    I'm guessing that is my biggest risk -- the vents on helmets are very effective now, but huge. I'm going to try a skullcap. My guess is that most suncreens are going to result in a sticky eye burning mess.
    A skullcap would be fine as long as it has sun protective fabric. If not, then hold it up to the sun and it you see light through it then it will not help as much as you think. Better than nothing. The Elta MD sport sunscreen is what i recommend to my athletic patients as it is relatively sweat resistant and does not sting your eyes when you are sweating.

This may be overkill but look at this product
    https://www.coolibar.com/men/shop-by...-upf-50-m.html

Thn9, thanks. I went to Pubmed directly before asking, but used the proprietary name for my search. Didnt think of using polypodium. Will look through this.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

News was saying something about discovering sunscreen being absorbed into the bloodstream. Is that an issue?

I do not like to slather questionable chemicals on my skin. I prefer to cover up.

Cooling sleeves on my arms, Cooling towel tucked in my collar, long pants, short sleeve shirt, hat and ear muffs darn near covers all exposed skin. On really hot days I will dunk the towel in the melted ice in my cooler. The arm sleeves I occasionally pour some water on them. I've never come close to getting a burn on my face with a brimmed cap. My hands will get tanned but never burned.

Great post, and thanks. I’ve had 3 surgeries for SCC on my nose. I’m extremely serious about sunscreen now, and have been for many years. Unfortunately much of the damage occurred when I was young and stupid. Cover up and lather up. I definitely recommend not having your nose cut on more than once.

Site Supporter

BTDT

I had a MM removed from my arm in 1996. It scared the sheet out of me. MM can and will kill you. I have bi-annual skin checks, wear sun-protective clothing, limit sun exposure, and religiously use sunscreen. So far, so good. Thanks for reminding PF members about the danger of sun exposure. It's real. Trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I think I got cancer from your inaugural class in VA
    I hope you're joking.

I do think that class was the sun event that convinced me to put the block on over and over.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

FYI Walmart sells the NO-AD spf 50 sunscreen sticks for $6. They have several brands

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mirolynmonbro View Post
    FYI Walmart sells the NO-AD spf 50 sunscreen sticks for $6. They have several brands

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    How is the quality of NO-AD products (specially this one) compared to expensive brand names?

User Tag List