Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sun Safety for Shooters

I wear a neckerchief much of the time when shooting in the sun. Helps keeps brass out of your shirt as well. Nice thing about shooting is that we don't have to worry about ear sunburn as much as other outdoor sports.

I should be dead by now.

Growing up in the tropics (18th parallel) an athlete and outdoorsman and continuing on to this day, I'm likely well above the mean when it comes to soaking UV radiation.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 05-17-2019 at 09:45 PM.

Had a spot chopped off my arm a couple of months ago- benign, praise the Lord, but a personal reminder to remain cautious.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Good reminder.

I live in FL and it's pretty sunny most of the time.

I had resisted getting a neck gaiter because I didn't want to be "that guy" trying to look like a Ex SF Ex Seal Ex Ninja ops dude. So I found a basic khaki / mild OD greenish one that I wear sometimes.

Otherwise a brimmed hat but no sunscreen, usually. I'll try and remember to add that to my range bag.

Thanks for the useful post. This is the kind of stuff I don't typically pay attention to until it's too late.

Just curious, is Heliocare use supported by any trial data?

In my field the O2 radicals scavengers and antioxidants have been studied since I graduated from medical school 30 years ago. No dice.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Art Morris is a well-known bird photographer, with a few years in the sunshine, and, IIRC, has dealt with the epidermal consequences. He advocates wearing fabrics, rather than applying sunscreen/sunblock.

Long before kerchiefs, shemaghs, and such, were cool, I was wearing bandannas to keep the sun off my neck.
    Last edited by Rex G; 05-18-2019 at 05:57 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Great thread. I am a religious sunscreen, hat ans sunglasses wearer and reapply screen throughout the day while on the range. The amount of people I see willing to let themselves burn is shocking.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

I bought that nutrogena sun stick for yesterday's technical handgun with John Johnston. I like it. I could spread it on and it didn't make my hands slippery.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Clinical trials with heliocare- Validity

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Just curious, is Heliocare use supported by any trial data?

In my field the O2 radicals scavengers and antioxidants have been studied since I graduated from medical school 30 years ago. No dice.
    I am glad that you asked about whether any valid scientific studies have been done on heliocare. I am generally a skeptic when it comes to supplements but I have read the papers and the data is convincing. A Google search for Polypodium leucotomos photoprotection yielded 10,600 results. I am enclosing one reference and the first page of the Google search for you so that you can pull the articles yourself and review. I have no financial conflicts with this product but do believe in it.

Name:  heliocare_JAAD.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  65.5 KBName:  Heliocare studies.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  74.5 KB

The photoprotection article by Dr Henry Lim is from the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology ( J Am Acad Dermatol 2017;76:S91-9.). It is one of our most reputable journals in Dermatology.

Happy reading!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Thn9mm View Post

c. Sun protective clothing:
    Thanks for all the good advice-- off topic for shooting -- but do you have any recommendations for what works under a bike helmet?
    I'm guessing that is my biggest risk -- the vents on helmets are very effective now, but huge. I'm going to try a skullcap. My guess is that most suncreens are going to result in a sticky eye burning mess.

User Tag List