Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt Gold Cup NM Series 70 for informal 50 yard Bullseye?

Colt Gold Cup NM Series 70 for informal 50 yard Bullseye?

Really thinking hard about buying a Colt GC NM in .45 auto.....series 70. If anyone has one, can you share how accurate at the 50 yard line this gun is?

This will be for my 50th birthday and used as a range toy only...informal Bullseye shooting.....at the 25 and 50 yard lines. I've read they are accurate...but every time I dig further into the written reviews, rarely do I find someone that runs it at 50 yards. I have read that it will hold less than 2 inches from the factory at 25y and I am really seeking a factory gun in the 1200 +- range. I currently use a Glock 41 for playing around with bullseye shooting.

I want the series 70 and I want factory adjustable sights. And I want it to print tighter than I can shoot it. .45 auto only.

Is there something else I should consider? I have about six months to research this before my department longevity check hits. My wife has told me that this longevity check is mine to spend how I wish as our house is paid for, I have less than 400.00 in credit card debt, and both cars are paid for. She wants to buy me something nice for my 50th and the Gold Cup is checking all my boxes for a fun range toy to retire with in three years.

My longevity check will cover 4/5ths of what the Colt retails for.

This won't be my first 1911....I've had Colts and Springfields back in the day.

So to recap, full sized 1911, adjustable sights, .45, for relaxing with B6 and B8 targets into my golden years. I like the Colt and it seems to be what I am desiring. Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks in advance.

If it's strictly for bullseye, have you looked at the Dan Wesson Bruin? It's a long slide 1911 chambered in both .45 ACP and 10mm.

I think the Colt is a good choice.

I don't know if you want to spend this kind of money, but based on your requirements, the Les Baer Premier II is pretty much exactly what you're looking for.

Les Baer Premier II https://www.lesbaer.com/Premier5.html

"Ask about our special 1 1/2" guarantee."

Another vote for Baer. Tight accurate guns and you can get adjustable sights.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    ...I am really seeking a factory gun in the 1200 +- range.
    My short attention span caused my to over-look this.

Sorry about the earlier Les Baer recommendation.

Site Supporter
    The Gold Cup National Match is a good choice for bullseye assuming you are okay with the GI-style grip safety and no undercut trigger guard. The Gold Cup Trophy has the same Bomar-style adjustable rear sight and adds a fiber optic front, along with a more modern grip safety, undercut trigger guard, and front strap checkering. It also has a mag well, but is priced a bit above your budget (think around $1500-$1600). There are also two lower priced Gold Cup Trophy models, the Gold Cup Elite and the Gold Cup Lite. These are essentially the Gold Cup Trophy model without the checkered front strap and mag well. The Elite comes with wood stocks, a steel main spring housing, and a black trigger. The Lite comes with G10 grip panels, a plastic main spring housing, and a stainless (silver colored) trigger. These two would both be within your price range.

I have owned all four of the above models in .45ACP and/or 9mm and they've all been good shooters, with the 45s being a bit better overall.

The Special Combat Government would be a more accurate pistol due to the hand-fitted barrel, but would be more in the $1700+ range.
    Last edited by Robinson; 05-17-2019 at 11:23 AM.

Site Supporter
    Anyone have experience with the SA Trophy Match ?

A local deputy has one and it seemed to be a great shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Anyone have experience with the SA Trophy Match ?t

A local deputy has one and it seemed to be a great shooter.
    I have one in stainless, and although I have more expensive 1911s, this is one of my favorites. Though not as accurate as my Les Baer's, it is both lose enough to function very well on long range days with minimal maintenance, yet tight enough for pretty good accuracy. I LOVE the cheese grater checkering. It holds the pistol very well in my hand, even though it make red indentations on my hand. I prefer it over the 30 lpi checking on my Les Baers. I also really like the fact that it's cheap enough (and stainless) that I won't cry if I drop it on the gravel at my range. The stock trigger on mine was very good, though I prefer the roll mine came with. Basically, the SA Trophy Match is an awesome user, rather than a safe queen dedicated bullseye pistol like my Baer Premier II.

Note that the Trophy Match is basically a TRP but with adjustable sights. They go for much less than the TRP.

At the same time I bought a Kimber Gold Match II. It quickly went down the road. Not for the usual Kimber reasons; it was an okay pistol that worked fine. It just wasn't awesome like SA Trophy Match, even though I dropped in a better trigger.

The current National Match is great choice. The fit and finish is superb. The bluing on the last one I saw was flawless and looked closer to something made 50 years ago than something in our modern disposable product era.

If you want to go with a Colt, why not an older Gold Cup like this one: https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n_id=101188208

I had a Gold Cup for a while back in the mid 80's. No idea of the vintage, but I don't remember it being a standout in terms of accuracy. It was probably not as good as the Clark guns that I had when I was shooting bullseye. Speaking of which, I can't remember anyone running a Gold Cup in those days. They all ran something that had been tightened up.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List