Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Colt WC 9mm LW Commander

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    And holy cats this slide is super easy to detail strip!
    Is that a good thing or bad?

Have you done any accuracy testing yet? I can't seem to shoot mine as well as my stock Gen5 G19. I'm wondering if it's a parts problem or if all WC Commander's shoot rather large groups.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    Is that a good thing or bad?
    Good thing. I like that sort of thing.

Have you done any accuracy testing yet? I can't seem to shoot mine as well as my stock Gen5 G19. I'm wondering if it's a parts problem or if all WC Commander's shoot rather large groups.
    Not yet, but it did seem easier for me to hit what I want during the match.
    Last edited by Joe in PNG; 06-04-2019 at 07:18 PM.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    In my experience, Colt's 45s are generally more accurate shooters than their 9mm guns. But that doesn't mean the 9mm guns won't shoot. It might be more due to what you are used to, or that you just shoot Glocks better. Glocks tend to shoot well for a lot of people.

Based on their specs, the Wiley Clapp models shouldn't shoot differently than other Colt Series 70 production line pistols. The only Colts that tend to have better than average accuracy are the Special Combat Government and the newer Custom Competition, both of which have hand fitted barrels. The Custom Shop M45 might also be in that category.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    In my experience, Colt's 45s are generally more accurate shooters than their 9mm guns. But that doesn't mean the 9mm guns won't shoot. It might be more due to what you are used to, or that you just shoot Glocks better. Glocks tend to shoot well for a lot of people.

Based on their specs, the Wiley Clapp models shouldn't shoot differently than other Colt Series 70 production line pistols. The only Colts that tend to have better than average accuracy are the Special Combat Government and the newer Custom Competition, both of which have hand fitted barrels. The Custom Shop M45 might also be in that category.
    Seems to be mine as well. I've got a Colt Rail gun and at 7 yards/7 paces I can shoot a group that's probably 1.5" or 2" across (all shots touching one another). With the Clapp, it's pretty much "all shots in the index card" group. I need to shoot the 45 and the 9 again and see.
    Last edited by Jay585; 06-05-2019 at 10:30 AM.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

115 more round of 147 down range today.

Good- This is a serious "passion of the gun" gun. I'm really loving it. I suck, but I can shoot bad, newbie type 'shotgun patterns' at 25 yards now.
    I've also gone 255 rounds with no FTF's.

Bad- I'm still getting BTF. I did a single round/no mag test, and had a few times where the brass just dropped out the bottom. Any ideas of what to look at?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

My first gen 80s series Colt Competition developed rampant FTEs and BTF within the first 200 rounds. Colt seems to almost consider lack of extractor tension with their 9mms a feature, almost like you see so many dull knives these days so you can sharpen it just the way you want it.

The good news is Colt addressed it quickly and it’s run perfectly since.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    115 more round of 147 down range today.

Good- This is a serious "passion of the gun" gun. I'm really loving it. I suck, but I can shoot bad, newbie type 'shotgun patterns' at 25 yards now.
    I've also gone 255 rounds with no FTF's.

Bad- I'm still getting BTF. I did a single round/no mag test, and had a few times where the brass just dropped out the bottom. Any ideas of what to look at?
    Yes. Easiest first.

Colt somewhat over-springs their 9mm pistols. If you haven't already, try a 12 or 13# recoil spring in your Commander and see if that helps. It might or might not. For a Government model 9mm 11# is probably better.

Next easiest is to check the extractor tension. That also plays a part in proper ejection.

Finally, the geometry of the ejector can play a big part in ejection. Colt fits their 9mm guns with the long ejector, which is fine. But it sometimes needs some adjustment or even to be replaced. The ejectors Colt uses have a nose that is square -- the vertical front edge has no angle to it. This can either cause BTF problems or make them worse. An angled ejector nose often helps with this, as does a slight bevel on the inside edge of that same surface. The problem is a square nose strikes the spent case very early. An angled nose allows the case to travel to the rear just slightly more before being contacted by the ejector. The bevel on the inside of the ejector nose helps send the case at a good sideways angle.

If you keep having trouble and are willing to make a permanent change to the ejector, try an angle like the following:

Name:  ejector.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  4.9 KB

And also slightly bevel the inside edge of that angle to help the case eject right-ward when viewed from the rear of the pistol.

Obviously, you would be doing this at your own risk without guarantee that it will correct the problem. But it certainly might. I would start at the recoil spring though. The recoil spring and extractor tension are the prime suspects.
    Last edited by Robinson; 06-08-2019 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Yes. Easiest first.

Colt somewhat over-springs their 9mm pistols. If you haven't already, try a 12 or 13# recoil spring in your Commander and see if that helps. It might or might not. For a Government model 9mm 11# is probably better.

Next easiest is to check the extractor tension. That also plays a part in proper ejection.

Finally, the geometry of the ejector can play a big part in ejection. Colt fits their 9mm guns with the long ejector, which is fine. But it sometimes needs some adjustment or even to be replaced. The ejectors Colt uses have a nose that is square -- the vertical front edge has no angle to it. This can either cause BTF problems or make them worse. An angled ejector nose often helps with this, as does a slight bevel on the inside edge of that same surface. The problem is a square nose strikes the spent case very early. An angled nose allows the case to travel to the rear just slightly more before being contacted by the ejector. The bevel on the inside of the ejector nose helps send the case at a good sideways angle.

If you keep having trouble and are willing to make a permanent change to the ejector, try an angle like the following:

Name:  ejector.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  4.9 KB

And also slightly bevel the inside edge of that angle to help the case eject right-ward when viewed from the rear of the pistol.

Obviously, you would be doing this at your own risk without guarantee that it will correct the problem. But it certainly might. I would start at the recoil spring though. The recoil spring and extractor tension are the prime suspects.
    Thank you! I've got the extractor to where it will hold an empty case, but will also try the spring & ejector before my next range trip.
    One of the reasons I got a 1911 is I like to fiddle with things, so I'll give it a go.

Who do we like for recoil springs?

Site Supporter
    In my 45s I like Colt's dual spring setup.

In my 9mm guns I like Wilson Combat chrome silicon springs.

But... they're just springs. I could just as easily buy all my recoil springs from Colt or Wolff and they would be fine. I do think the Colt dual springs are overkill for the 9mm.

User Tag List