Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Streamlight To Introduce New Switching Option TLR-7 & 8 Lights

@SoCalDep,

Can you describe the training that is given to your officers that have a 0% activation rate "when under stress" using a toggle switch light?

ETA:

Derp, sorry, missed that last sentence in your post saying that you'd update later. My bad, not intending to hassle you.
    Last edited by TGS; 05-29-2019 at 11:55 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

So, my agency doesn’t do anything I’d consider significant when it comes to low light training in the academy. We practice all the common handheld techniques, do a couple activations with the WML then that’s about it....

But I don’t do what I do based off the LCD training that academies are built around. So in addition to that training, I’ve sought out low light training, and practice low light techniques on my own.

In the incidents I can recall at the moment involving high-stress draws in low light, I have instinctively activated my X300 when needed. Add to that, one of my partners who was on one of those incidents, also activated his WML. He only trains when the department makes him, he doesn’t dry fire, doesn’t even change the batteries in his light, but he did turn his light on. Which coincidently, each other’s lights prevented a crossfire from happening in that incident...

Point being, in my experience working nights, I 100% prefer a toggle activation like the X300 or TLR-1 over a pressure switch.

I’ll post pictures of my grip later, but I don’t have a significant shift in how I hold my gun.

Normal grip vs light activation.... it’s really not “two different grips” even when using the TLR-7. I haven’t found a significant difference in splits between light activation vs normal shooting. If I’m trying to push my splits down to sub .20 then I’ll have a slight advantage when not activating a light, but realistically speaking, I’ll take .05 second slower splits to have the reliability and control of toggle switches.

On my department, WMLs weren’t authorized until 2007. When that happened, we had to watch a 10 minute video and fill out a scantron. Pressure switches were approved and there were no significant issues (I’m guessing because most who had the lights were motivated and it was a small percentage of the department). Low light training in the academy continued to involve hand held flashlights only.

When the department began to issue recruits WML-equipped handguns, there were slight modifications to discuss light activation via the toggle switch but low light training was still primarily dedicated to hand-held light techniques.

In 2012, we were successful in changing our training program to better address training needs and make better use of the limited time allotted for low light training. We began teaching methods for activating the toggle switching system that improved performance, reduced the number of hand-held techniques taught to the Harries and Neck/Eye-index, and placed a significantly increased emphasis on manipulation training (reloads, malfunction clearance, etc.) and basic tactics with WML and hand-held light such as which technique to use depending on cover and how to employ momentary vs. constant-on.

Within a couple years we were able to convince our recruit training to allow recruits to purchase pressure switches in the academy and we began training all recruits on the use of both toggle-switching and use of the pressure switch. Around this same time, the department initiated an agency-wide conversion to a striker-fired handgun with a Surefire X300U. Deputies were encouraged to purchase pressure switches. We began to hear a larger and larger number of success stories involving the use of the WML and particularly the pressure switch. We also began getting a lot of reports of negligent discharges. This began a series of issues that had to be addressed, one of which was a very public report largely blaming the pressure switch for the increase in NDs.

This led to our study/experiment which clearly showed what we knew from training thousands of law enforcement officers a year. The pressure switch is easier for most people to use when trained appropriately. In addition, we discovered the report contained misleading statistics. The criteria for inclusion in the report statistics was limited to make the pressure switch appear to be a bigger contributing factor than it was, and ignored the fact that an aggressive training program let to a significant and consistent decrease in pressure-switch related NDs that continues to this day. The participants in the study had almost all received training with the toggle switch. Most had not had in-depth pressure switch training.

At my department, 17 deputies are responsible for training over 10,000 armed personnel from our own department in addition to recruits and officers from several local departments. We see a lot and we see the results of infrequent training and lack of practice. There is a low-light (WML – centered) block of training during the conversion class, and that block was increased to include “dynamic” scenario training when the class was increased from one to two days.

This block of training includes the reactive draw with automatic activation of the WML to an immediate threat. The activation should not require a different grip and students are instructed NOT to think of light activation as “pressing a button” but simply gripping the gun like they would normally shoot. Emphasis remains on keeping the trigger finger indexed on the frame until the decision to shoot has been made. We address the need to avoid flicker while holding and shooting the pistol and that the light can be a good way to judge the consistency of the grip. We discuss and conduct courses of fire that require draws without activating the WML and teach the technique to de-activate the light by relaxing the shooting grip. We teach manipulations including emergency (empty gun) reloads and tactical reloads, and when the light may need to remain on vs. be turned off. Finally, we stress that some people cannot effectively utilize a pressure switch (I’ve seen big guys whose finger crease sat right on the switch and they couldn’t reliably activate it. Same with some with some small hands). If the techniques for using the light aren’t working for the individual, particularly the idea of automatic activation and not thinking of activation via a “button” to press, then the pressure switch may not be for them.

We then move on to instruction on the toggle switch system. We begin with activation of the constant-on function as a reaction to an immediate threat. By activating constant-on, the deputy is now free to manipulate and fire the pistol as normal…If their hands are big enough. If not, they have to modify their draw, index the switch to activate it and then acquire their normal shooting grip. By defaulting to constant-on, the manipulation of the WML is simplified and more mental attention can be devoted to the problem. We address manipulation, reloads, and priorities in reloading/fighting or de-activating the light to reduce target-indicators. We focus a lot on the draw and light activation. Some do this well on the square range… Some don’t. Most don’t do it well when they move on to the dynamic scenarios. We run drills and offer suggestions for reliable de-activation of the light and practice doing it.

We discuss the benefits and drawbacks of the momentary function of the light. We talk about searching vs. fighting and how proper use of intermittent activation of the WML can mitigate the tactical disadvantage of a person searching a structure for bad guys. We run drills that involve activation of the momentary function and shooting while momentary is activated. This is generally no-fun with an X300 pattern light and the Streamlight works much better if one prefers the use of a momentary toggle switch. It is also dependent on whether one is right or left handed or whether the light is in the right or left hand. Many have difficulty keeping the light activated while shooting, particularly with the X300. The Streamlight is still tough for many when shooting larger calibers. Many with small hands find the constant-on switch difficult and the momentary switch next to impossible to operate without a seriously compromised grip and conscious thought to find the switch after each shot.

After this basic instruction with the WML as well as basic instruction in hand held light techniques we move on to working cover and basic search techniques and principles. Under, over, right side, left side, and we discuss tactical aspects of proximity, light activation and splashback, where the light should be directed, dealing with walls and either controlling the activation of the light or avoiding painting it across walls/cover at eye level.

Academy instruction follows this basic structure with additional repetition, more detailed explanations, and a greater emphasis on hand-held light techniques than in the conversion course.

The conversion low light block is about an hour in length. The following day there are low light scenarios that include firing from within a radio car and using radio cars for cover, navigating a “hogans alley” type façade with shoot and no shoot targets, and going through a live-fire shoot house addressing paper non-reactive shoot and no shoot targets.

The academy low light instruction is a total of approximately five hours, with additional time (about six hours) of standard line work and combat courses of fire which allow reinforcement of the instruction.

Our qualifications involve at least one low-light course of fire among the four quarterly quals, but that’s qualification and certainly not training.

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I think it's hard to beat a streamlight TLR1 for advanced low light gun fighting because the momentary on is so easily reached and held with a regular firing grip.
    Maybe for you, and maybe even most people, but this is not a universal truth for all.

Quote Originally Posted by BK14 View Post

Point being, in my experience working nights, I 100% prefer a toggle activation like the X300 or TLR-1 over a pressure switch.

I’ll post pictures of my grip later, but I don’t have a significant shift in how I hold my gun.
    I'm not going to copy your photos, but they are very illustrative, and I see how it works for you.

In my case, and I and others with my issues (small hands) may be in the minority, but:
    1) with a thumbs-forward grip, my support thumb and trigger finger fall on the takedown lever when in register.
    2) I shoot with a thumbs-down (Weaver/revolver)grip.

So, with that in mind, please explain how I can operate the toggle switches intuitively? (admittedly a little rhetorical)

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    I think that no answer is 100% right 100% of the time, so I think people can have different preferences and opinions. Some may train for and prefer the toggle switch for specific reasons (NVGs, need for minimal light signature, etc) and when I trained with Mike Pannone that was his preference. He has a very solid experience and skill set and it works for him and his level of training. I think it would also work for someone who would dedicate their training to the methods he teaches.

In contrast, my department has done a semi-formal study involving WMLs and I’ve had the opportunity to observe thousands of law enforcement officers of various levels of experience, motivation, and training, and by a very large margin, WMLs get used under stress when they have a pressure switch. When they have a toggle switch they don’t...like almost not ever. Stats and such from the study... 82%+ activation of a pressure switch under stress... a whopping 0% activation of toggle switches.

I do agree that milking the grip to activate the light is a bad thing, and I do think that training is necessary. A good pressure switch and technique shouldn’t necessitate a perfect grip, and with training, practice, and experience it should be very intuitive. It is not as reliable as the light and I’ve broken two DG switches so I get it, but it’s way more reliable for uniformed cop use than 0% activation under stress (from a statistical training perspective).

Add to the issues with toggle switching for uniformed cop use... If I offered you a pistol that worked great with a two hand grip but became practically un-useable one-handed you’d all say I’m nuts, but toggle switching is un-useable one- handed save trigger-finger activation which is haha-level impractical under stress and a massive increase in potential for unintentional via negligent discharge.

What’s awesome about all this is that executive level of most departments would rather deal with their people killing an innocent person in the dark, so they can argue “reasonable in light of totality of circumstances and experience and training/Tenn vs Garner” than actually evaluating and emphasizing low light performance, equipment, and training to avoid the death of an innocent.

Further, companies like Safariland have jumped on board with this misguided and short-sighted view. I am still absolutely and thoroughly pissed off over two different conversations at SHOT 2019 with Safariland reps who will remain un-named, one of which involved them screwing up me trying to explain benefits of their own holsters as an option for our deputies. Light companies like Streamlight and Surefire have made massive strides in Compact WMLs, but the market has been driven by ignorance and liability fear... which has only created more liability potential.

But hey... it’s only a matter of shooting the right... or wrong person in the dark.
    I agree with SoCalDep's post, but the bolded part is the crux of the issue. Context is everything. It is easy to sometimes forget that our reality may not be the same reality that someone else has.
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 05-29-2019 at 08:32 PM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter

Streamlight To Introduce New Switching Option TLR-7 & 8 Lights

I recall the “study” referenced by SoCalDep. It did nothing to dissuade me from the benefits of a pressure switch on the grip. It did, however, cause me to disregard any future work from the source of the study.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BillSWPA; 05-29-2019 at 09:18 PM.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Streamlight To Introduce New Switching Option TLR-7 & 8 Lights

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post

So, with that in mind, please explain how I can operate the toggle switches intuitively? (admittedly a little rhetorical)

There’s the question on if you were to shift your support hand slightly forward/shoot high thumbs would it allow activation, but it sounds like it wouldn’t based off your hand size.

I realize my post may have come across too universal, which was not my intention. Merely to state that there are plenty of us well served with toggle switches, and I don’t think I lose anything worthwhile in performance for the benefits I personally see.

I have a guy I work with whose thumbs aren’t long enough to activate the SLS hood, or ALS lever. This officer uses his whole hand to drop the bail on his SLS before drawing. When I first saw it, I almost freaked out, shocked that he didn’t know how to use his own holster, until I realized that the SLS holster technique I thought was universal, may not be universal.

Hopefully how I activate my light may help someone. But there’s a ton of options out there to try out.

On that note, I found this video very helpful when discussing different techniques:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nafSEdXXh2Q
    Last edited by BK14; 05-29-2019 at 10:02 PM.

^^^^^
    Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by BK14 View Post
    I have a guy I work with whose thumbs aren’t long enough to activate the SLS hood, or ALS lever. This officer uses his whole hand to drop the bail on his SLS before drawing. When I first saw it, I almost freaked out, shocked that he didn’t know how to use his own holster, until I realized that the SLS holster technique I thought was universal, may not be universal.
    This is interesting, as I have no problem using, and greatly prefer, the SLS and/or ALS for an exposed OWB holster.
    I was able to use the SSIII well, but not the level III Raptor.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Maybe for you, and maybe even most people, but this is not a universal truth for all.
    Absolutely agreed. One size doesn’t fit all, and I recommend everyone do their own experimentation and training to figure out what you can reliably activate from the draw, from a firing grip, etc.

I got to handle one of the new TLR-7 models this past weekend. Switchology is definitely better than the old one, but I did find the activation switch a little low for my support hand thumb. If it was hinged the opposite way, it would have been just about perfect for me (i.e., applying pressure higher up on the back of the unit would mean less adjustment of my usual grip). Definitely an improvement though.
    Last edited by 43Under; 06-05-2019 at 04:40 PM.

User Tag List