Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Streamlight To Introduce New Switching Option TLR-7 & 8 Lights

I found the biggest challenge with a pistol-mounted WML is exactly what you're alluding to: controlling the light independent of firing the pistol.

Using the trigger finger to activate the light means either (1) the light has to be switched constant-on before firing or (2) the light goes off in momentary mode as the finger transitions to the trigger. I concur that holding the switch in momentary mode while firing presents some challenges, but switching to constant-on could present some liabilities.

On the other hand (no pun intended), using the support hand thumb to operate the switch requires (1) both hands on the pistol and (2) a somewhat different grip than if I was simply firing with two hands. At least for me, this requires incorporating two slightly different grips depending on whether I'm using the WML or not. FWIW, my pistol WMLs have included the SF300 series and the Inforce APL.

Over the last year or so I've spent so much time shooting strong-hand-only it's almost become my default method. As an old Bullseye shooter, it feels natural and leaves my support hand free to operate a handheld completely independent of firing or where the pistol is pointed. I've also become comfortable transitioning among the different hold techniques for the light, so at this point the handheld works quite nicely for me.

All that said, being able to control both the pistol and light with a single hand could offer some advantage in specific scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    All these compact lights have been missing the boat on proper function for actually using/IDing/fighting with a light, and have been playing to a market That is either liability-minded (law enforcement) to the detriment of good practice and the death of innocent people, or retail market based on BS info that doesn’t translate to the real world.
    90% of the products in the firearms and tactical industry are not designed by high level shooters or users.

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    90% of the products in the firearms and tactical industry are not designed by or for high level shooters or users.
    FIFY.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    I don’t know why Streamlight doesn’t come out with a better grip switch. The one they make for the Glock is terrible (too thick, too sensitive) compared to the Surefire DG switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Could someone do the cliff notes summary of both the ideal hardware configuration for 1) EDC, 2) home defense, and 3) duty — and leaving aside ideal, what are the best available choices for the three categories?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I will go into more detail later, but the super super short version is that for home defense or uniformed, patrol law-enforcement use I would recommend a Grip activated pressure switch for intuitive or automatic activation. The switch should allow a relaxed but normal Grip to deactivate the light and the normal shooting grip to activate it. I won’t say no one can run a toggle under sudden stress but I will say that toggle switches are very likely to NOT be used under stress.

For EDC and concealed carry, an automatic activation switch is less necessary and possibly detrimental. If I’ve got a fight “right now“, it’s probably because I’m being attacked and target identification via a weapon light is going to be significantly less likely. If I have to get a gun out but I’m not being attacked right now, I probably don’t want to draw too much attention to myself, so automatic activation of the light would also be contraindicated.

The problem with the current compact WMLs is the switching... this hold for momentary tap for constant sucks. We’re not nearly as likely to be searching with a WML, so momentary is almost completely unnecessary. These lights should have positive mechanical switches that are truly ambidextrous (not a see-saw that works opposite depending on what hand it’s in) and within reasonable reach of the non-dominant thumb.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Could someone do the cliff notes summary of both the ideal hardware configuration for 1) EDC, 2) home defense, and 3) duty — and leaving aside ideal, what are the best available choices for the three categories?
    The SF DG switch is nice, but the rubber heat-shrink wrap tends to get rubbed through by holster wear and whatnot.

This one may be a good option:

https://www.crimsontrace.com/product...istols/01-7100

I seem to recall that early on SF had a trigger guard (TG) switch as well.
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 05-28-2019 at 11:09 AM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    The SF DG switch is nice, but the rubber heat-shrink wrap tends to get rubbed through by holster wear and whatnot.

The output on the Crimson Trace offerings are pretty pitiful by 2019 standards, and it looks at least as grip-alteringly thick and uncomfortable as the mediocre Streamlight grip switch.

The rubber wrap on the Surefire DG switch can indeed get a bit jacked up, but that’s easily fixed using more shrink wrap or a can of rubber dip stuff from Home Depot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post

At least for a 1911, I really like the idea of completely independent switching for the light and laser. With a wider grip it might not work as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Maybe I missed it, but is there a when will this be available in this thread?

User Tag List