Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Streamlight To Introduce New Switching Option TLR-7 & 8 Lights

This is great news! Loved the light size and lumens (for a ccw light I think it's perfect) hated the switchology. Nice job Streamlight! Will be getting one asap to make sure they work with holsters but based off the pics I think they will work just fine with existing holsters. Won't know for sure till I have hands on though.
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

Is the switch momentary only? If not, how is constant-on activated?

Tony, don't forget us Walther PPS and PPQ folks. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Is the switch momentary only? If not, how is constant-on activated?

Tony, don't forget us Walther PPS and PPQ folks. ;-)
    Current design is tap for constant on and hold for momentary. Through some series of clicks and holds you can convert to strobe

Ten-Tap programming to make it momentary only would be awesome. If I need constant-on I'm inclined to use a hand held.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by 10mmfanboy View Post
    It's about time, still rockin a original xc1, just because of the lame switching on the tlr7
    Wow, niiiice...

I had a very detailed and interactive conversation precisely along these lines at NRAAM in 2018 with a gentleman who's name escapes me, but I recall he was upper mgmt and involved with product development in some fashion. I'd like to think I helped...

Red face

Didn't mean to quote above, just a general comment.

The original TLR-7/8 was an ergonomic nightmare for me, but I loved every other aspect. I will definitely pick up one of these new ones.

All these compact lights have been missing the boat on proper function for actually using/IDing/fighting with a light, and have been playing to a market That is either liability-minded (law enforcement) to the detriment of good practice and the death of innocent people, or retail market based on BS info that doesn’t translate to the real world.

I hope this switching system is better but I won’t say too much until I know how it works.

I will submit the following:

For CCW, automatic activation by a pressure switch is less likely needed, and in some cases a potential drawback. The ability to have more control of the light for he more rare/ specialized CCW situations would be a good thing. Most current lights fall short of good manual switching.

For HD and uniformed cop use, automatic activation via pressure swich is the way to go for most with proper training and compact lights fail completely in this regard save a few outliers that use either unreliable switching or pitiful light output.

I say all this because I’d love to come home and have my carry gun work ideally for home defense, but knowing what I know and having seen the reports of family members and innocent people shot in the dark, it doesn’t, and most compact lights don’t change my view.

In my opinion, unless you are left-handed or run a Glock or M&P (where Streamlight TLR1/2 lights with contour switches become contenders), the Surefire X300 series is the best low light WML option, particularly if you can run a pressure seitch with your gun.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Ten-Tap programming to make it momentary only would be awesome...
    I thought the same thing until actually firing a shot while holding down that momentary switch. That hurt!
    Last edited by MistWolf; 05-27-2019 at 10:31 AM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

I’m game... would have preferred a retrofit, but oh well.

User Tag List