Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Streamlight To Introduce New Switching Option TLR-7 & 8 Lights

I should add I am working the switch sometimes with trigger finger, as in one handed shooting, and sometimes with support thumb. We have some experienced LE locally that insist on activation with support thumb, but that won’t work in single hand mode.
    Any hive mind thoughts from the PF collective?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    I should add I am working the switch sometimes with trigger finger, as in one handed shooting, and sometimes with support thumb. We have some experienced LE locally that insist on activation with support thumb, but that won’t work in single hand mode.
    Any hive mind thoughts from the PF collective?
    Support thumb when ever possible.

I try to avoid using the trigger finger for stuff other than pulling the trigger but sometimes you got to do what you got to do.

Site Supporter
    Had the opportunity to shoot briefly on the dept. indoor range today at lunchtime. I can control lighting, and left the range dark, except for lights at the 25 yard line. Moved down range for the drills. I would describe ambient light as “moonlit” or urban low light. G19 w/ACRO and TLR7A mounted-the high switch.
    I shot the 5 yard roundup, the CCW check and the Wizard drill, activating the light on the presentation. A 91 on the roundup, one shot OT slightly on single handed shooting. The CCW check was clean, ample time most strings(this with light activation each string). Wizard was clean, one OT shot at 10 yards, but that is a weakness with me I sometimes see.
    I had about ten minutes total time dry firing the switch over the weekend. With a little more familiarization, I can see no OT shots. The high switch for me is the one to keep. It’s highly doubtful I could have accomplished the above with the old style switch-too small and hard to activate. I would opine the switch is at least as good as on the two cell Streamlight and Surefires. Perhaps better, in that both sides work the same: down and hold for momentary, down and release for constant on. Holster was a Perun, no issues noted. Since there are holsters like Perun and Tenicor, and a new one rumored for Safariland, no reason not to have one of these mounted.
    What Safariland is rumored?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Support thumb when ever possible.

I try to avoid using the trigger finger for stuff other than pulling the trigger but sometimes you got to do what you got to do.
    Agree. Support thumb activation is a natural extension of my standard freestyle grip. But SHO activation is important. In fact, if I can't activate it using strong hand only, I won't use a WML.

The TLR-1 works great for me SHO, but I cannot reach the standard switch on the TLR-7 with my trigger finger. I am trying to figure out whether the high or low switch has a shorter reach for trigger finger activation. I want it to be the high switch, so it's closer to my index position on the slide. Any help from folks who have tried them would be great.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 12-09-2019 at 04:00 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Agree. Support thumb activation is a natural extension of my standard freestyle grip. But SHO activation is important. In fact, if I can't activate it using strong hand only, I won't use a WML.

The TLR-1 works great for me SHO, but I cannot reach the standard switch on the TLR-7 with my trigger finger. I am trying to figure out whether the high or low switch has a shorter reach for trigger finger activation. I want it to be the high switch, so it's closer to my index position on the slide. Any help from folks who have tried them would be great.
    It looks like they are going to offer a "Flex" model that comes with both switches so you could see which works best for you.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021894695

My high switch version should arrive tomorrow.

@Up1911Fan: my understanding is that Safariland is working on an ALS style holster which will accommodate a pistol, and/or a red dot sight, and/or a weapon mounted light.
    Thanks, @HCM-concur-sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do...
    For my hands, the high switch seems to be the way to go. I don’t have a low switch to compare, but the high one seems to “fit”. I think the lower switch would not be as accessible/controllable.

Site Supporter
    @Up1911Fan: my understanding is that Safariland is working on an ALS style holster which will accommodate a pistol, and/or a red dot sight, and/or a weapon mounted light.
    Thanks, @HCM-concur-sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do...
    For my hands, the high switch seems to be the way to go. I don’t have a low switch to compare, but the high one seems to “fit”. I think the lower switch would not be as accessible/controllable.
    You mean something other than the RDS holsters? I would like an ALS sized for a G19/TLR7. Currently they only seem to have G34 length WML holsters.

Here’s a follow on question:
    How many here have a dry fire regimen which includes wml activation?
    Along with deploying a hand held, this would seem advisable...

@Up1911Fan:
    Copy, will check with holster rep and get back to you.

User Tag List