Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Cougar Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post

Has anyone ever tried puma meat? (I'm using the latin american name for obvious reasons ) It is very tasty.
    Yes. It is quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    FWIW, they are soft-bodied creatures in the same weight class as humans. However, you may end up with stem-to-stern penetration opportunities. Something that could penetrate full length and break stuff going out would be optimum. For a semi rifle, I'd want to step it up to 6.8 or 7.62x39 if the option to choose ahead of time was available. A 1301 Tactical or Benelli full of #1FC or well-patterned 00 would be next in line. Lots of chances with 9mm would be last, but I'd put it ahead of fewer chances. The choice between them depending on what's practical/acceptable to have with you where you are, doing what you're doing, as always.

I think the hard thing would be putting rounds in the right place fast enough, as cats' speed, quickness and violence of attack makes the fastest humans seem cartoonishly slow. Number of chances and rate of follow-up shots could matter a lot.

Second what Rob said about ambush predators. They are looking for a meal, not a fight. The only mountain lion fatality I have any familiarity with was a guy who separated from his group to relieve himself. Cat attacked while he was "indisposed," crouching down and distracted... Not standing his ground in a ready position.

While 9mm is an option, it is not the main 1st line option for ready access downstairs emergencies

My main concern in a situation like this is not the cougar being on the front porch. The only access to the house from there is through the front door. Realistically, one couldn't even get in through our front window. Unlike the neighbor's, ours is higher, smaller, and somewhat armored. The only thing I care about is that he not get onto our side yard where the dogs may be lounging. If the cougar stays out of there, he can roam wherever. Once he puts a paw into our yard and there exists even the slightest chance he could threaten my dogs, the hail of buckshot will recreate WW1 trench battles.
    Last edited by Cecil Burch; 05-17-2019 at 11:23 AM.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

I've been out of town and am late to this party, but . . .

I have been fortunate enough to call two different mountain lions to a hand held varmint call in my lifetime. The events were separated by 38 years!

The first one occurred the vey first time I had ever used a varmint call in my life, and I called a large tom to within 25 yards of my position, which was actually sitting on the tailgate of a pickup truck in full view, with no camouflage clothing, etc. Pure luck. One shot from a Winchester Model 94 in caliber .30-30.

The second event occurred when I called a female to my well-hidden and fully camouflage covered self. The wind was blowing much more than desirable, but the cat came straight to me from over 100 yards away, and I was able to watch her all the way. She pulled up about 15 yards from me where the hunt ended with one shot from a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in caliber .243.

Yes, I have eaten mountain lion meat. It was barbecued and prepared exactly like chicken, and tasted vey similar to chicken.

I have seen half a dozen mountain lions in the wild, including the two I shot. They are amazing animals.

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    Admire the exit strategy.

The "I'm going to fucking kill you now" part?

I've had a few encounters with cougars (Mountain Lions). Only once did one try to close the distance on me.

Their ability to blend into the surroundings is spooky. The only reason I saw the one that worked it's way closer to me was that big honking tail they have. I solved that problem by jumping into my truck.

The encounter that spooked me the most was when I was mountain biking from one canyon to another. It was June, and I had to carry my bike through snow in certain spots above 8500 ft. At one point, I could look back and down on my trail, and I saw large paw prints mixed in with my footprints, they were not there when I walked through 10 minutes earlier. I started wondering how effective a mountain bike would be as a shield. I never saw the cat that day, but on subsequent rides through that area I saw more tracks.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

In order to stop the "cougar"-ing and making Tom keep parsing out posts, I'll talk about my close encounter with a Mountain Lion:

I was out with a buddy in the foothills of the Huachuca Mountains, hunting small predators using an electronic call and a decoy. We were uphill 50 yards or so, ready to rock with our .22 Mag bolt guns (because reasons - can't remember why we were convinced those were the right answer for that application, but we were primarily out for fox and bobcat that day). After a while, we heard a rustling behind us. Looked uphill, saw nothing. Went back to watching the decoy, heard another rustle. Looked back and there, about 30 yards away on a rock was a Mountain Lion that looked about the size of an elephant.

As luck would have it, he was just checking out what free lunch was available (the call apparently worked pretty well on him/her), and, when we turned to face him, he took off like a lightning bolt.

Lesson learned - NEVER go predator hunting in the mountains in AZ without a centerfire weapon (it was illegal back then to take a Mountain Lion with any rimfire, and I heard of more than one hunter who was prosecuted for it). I know I never left my little adobe ranch house again without at LEAST a full-ish size "fighting" handgun... The other lesson is, when operating in lion country, wear brown pants...

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I was a TOW Platoon Leader out of FT Ord with 7th ID (L) - we went to FT Hunter Liggett in 1985 for one of our many, many training events - 10 old school jeeps (Pre HMMWV) - 2 command jeeps, 4 TOW jeeps, 4 jeeps for extra TOW missiles. 2 per vehicle so about 20 of us 11H's. Not a live round among us - reminds me of how much of my adult life I drug around some form of M16/M4, 1911, or M9 with no ammo. Night training was all the rage with the Lightfighters so we were tactically deployed to stop a simulated enemy armor attack (Warsaw Pact says). Back then, we had maybe 3 sets of night vision devices among us all - I saw through the NODs 5 mountain lights wandering around the perimeter - looked like one adult (mom?) and 4 young ones. They wandered around us for several hours - often getting fairly close. Only night in my career I never had to walk the perimeter keeping soldiers awake.
    And a year later during Exercise Celtic Cross I had one wander into my site, hunker down, and stare at one of my guys who was wrapped up in his poncho liner. While Steve removed the blank adapter from his M16, in the fond hope that either the sound of a blank, or a cleaning rod section propelled by it, would scare a puma away, I called in a SALUTE report...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Name:  mountain-lion-animal-desktop-wallpaper-1920x1080.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  54.2 KB

Someone's gotta point out that they are stunning creatures....
    Last edited by Greg; 05-18-2019 at 08:17 AM.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

On my trip out to Philmont (A large Ranch in Northwestern New Mexico, near the town of Cimmaron in Colfax County) with the Scouts in 2010 (68 miles, 10 days; hiking through the back country up hill and down dale at age 51 yikes) one evening we encountered some noise while the boys were setting up camp.

I never did get a good look at it but from what the other advisors said it was a medium sized animal larger than a housecat but smaller than the pictures of the Cougars you see here.

Would have have been a Bobcat possibly?

It was the only large animal predator I saw on the trip, thankfully. Our Bear protocol was pretty stringent; they briefed us up very well on hanging smellables in Bear Bags at our Camp Sites and we practiced diligent Leave No Trace, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    On my trip out to Philmont (A large Ranch in Northwestern New Mexico, near the town of Cimmaron in Colfax County) with the Scouts in 2010 (68 miles, 10 days; hiking through the back country up hill and down dale at age 51 yikes) one evening we encountered some noise while the boys were setting up camp.

I never did get a good look at it but from what the other advisors said it was a medium sized animal larger than a housecat but smaller than the pictures of the Cougars you see here.

Would have have been a Bobcat possibly?

It was the only large animal predator I saw on the trip, thankfully. Our Bear protocol was pretty stringent; they briefed us up very well on hanging smellables in Bear Bags at our Camp Sites and we practiced diligent Leave No Trace, etc.
    Not sure about that part of NM, but we had PLENTY of bobcats in SE AZ, so I don't doubt there's border crossings going on... Unless it was a cub, you would KNOW if you're looking at a cougar - they're very much larger than your typical pootie-tat...

User Tag List