Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Cougar Thread!

Changing populations

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I think a lot of people, even some biologists actually do. Since folks decided that we shouldn’t kill off all the apex predators, hasn’t the official line in American education been that sharks, bears, cougars and other large predators don’t “choose” to predate people for some time now?

I’m not trying to turn this thread into a debate on predator eradication, it’s just a trend I noticed a long time ago. From personal experience I didn’t realize how bad non-fatal snake bites could be until my early twenties and a night of google because as a kid I was really into learning about nature and stuff and all those folks all said “don’t worry about it, most snake bites in North America are non fatal.”
    I've noticed the trend as well, it's said about great white sharks, wolves, mountain lions, grizzlies etc.

However, just because in the past century such attacks were rare doesn't tell us much about today, when in many places the populations of predators are much higher than they've been in living memory. The underlying population of animals is so much larger now (and people so much closer) that I don't think that the twentieth century North American experience with large predators is indicative of current trends.

Site Supporter
    We have deer all over the place. Last night they were on the lawns of the homes. mommies and young ones. Very cute. In the local paper, a woman said she saw wolves eating a deer. OMG, there is a debate about wolves in NY but on the other side of the state in the Adirondacks. Probably saw coyotes or maybe even a fox or two munching on a road kill. Bears we have though.

Site Supporter
    Looks like these wildlife officials do recognize that big cats can be dangerous, they’re just very careful of how they say it. (probably for a variety of reasons)

https://www.adn.com/nation-world/202...d-leashed-dog/

LOS ANGELES — Los Angeles’ most famous mountain lion, known for roaming across freeways and making a sprawling urban park his home, was captured Monday by wildlife officials who want to examine the big cat after he killed a dog that was being walked in the Hollywood Hills.....

An anonymous report Sunday night indicated that P-22 may have been struck by a vehicle, wildlife officials said. After being examined, authorities will “determine the best next steps for the animal while also prioritizing the safety of surrounding communities,” the joint statement said.

“P-22 is a remarkably old cat in the wild and, after being deemed responsible for killing a leashed pet last month, may be exhibiting signs of distress,” the agencies said in a Dec. 8 statement announcing that the famous cougar would be captured.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    When I used to get drawn for an archery hunt for elk I could buy deer, turkey, and Mountain Lions tags. IIRC the lion tag was a buck.
    Just because I'm not a hunter and don't know these things: is that mountain lion dollar tag for use only with a bow and arrow or with anything. I could see there being minimal demand for hunting a cougar with a bow and arrow.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Looks like these wildlife officials do recognize that big cats can be dangerous, they’re just very careful of how they say it. (probably for a variety of reasons)

https://www.adn.com/nation-world/202...d-leashed-dog/
    Put the old guy in a sanctuary somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    Just because I'm not a hunter and don't know these things: is that mountain lion dollar tag for use only with a bow and arrow or with anything. I could see there being minimal demand for hunting a cougar with a bow and arrow.
    It was bow hunting only IIRC. We had seen mountain lions in our hunt area so having a tag for a buck just in case was nice. Yeah I don’t think there was much demand for those tags.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Put the old guy in a sanctuary somewhere.
    Yeah. Let him play shuffleboard and eat dinner at 3:30 with all the other guests. Lol

Living in LA that long, the poor guy earned his break.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Site Supporter
    Give him a sidewalk star in Hollywood.

Site Supporter
    P-22 has been euthanized. Kind of an interesting story, but only in LA....

https://www.wsj.com/articles/los-ang...hp_featst_pos4

Quote Originally Posted by idahojess View Post
    P-22 has been euthanized. Kind of an interesting story, but only in LA....

https://www.wsj.com/articles/los-ang...hp_featst_pos4
    Cats are overpopulated in CA. I think we outlawed hunting them in 1990. I voted for it. Now, it's become a problem. Time to put them back in management.

User Tag List