Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Cougar Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Shot View Post
    Not sure that cougar exhibited any aggressive or predatory behavior in the preceding vid. Glad both parties walked away.
    Me either, although I also don't think it was unreasonable for the guy to shoot at it, and if he'd actually managed to hit it, I wouldn't have had any problems. If I'd been the F&W officer that responded and found it was a female, I would have gone looking for cubs of this year in the immediate area though.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    I’m 100% with you.
    And if I’m paying a fine for shooting a critter that justifiably needed to be shot, I’ll be hanging that citation under that critter’s mounted head. I’m not looking to go hunting when I’m not hunting, but I’m not above having a trophy for winning an event.
    Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    I get the strong sense the guy absolutely did not want to shoot or hurt the cat and was wishing really hard for it to go away.

I have no experience with those things. If one approached me in that way my best guess is the old cave man brain would be demanding instant mag dump, hopefully with well placed controlled shots. I see nothing there but deliberate predatory behavior from a life threatening apex predator as I would interpret it. That critter is not looking to come be petted or rub against your leg.

Fish and game? I suspect this is very different from state to state. In AL the agency (or any elected prosecutor) would probably have the good sense not to dare bring it to court and have to face either judge, jury, or the press publicity for prosecuting a believable allegation of self defense against a predator but I understand that is not the sentiment or public attitude in other places.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I remember in my hunters Ed class back in the 90’s being warned by the warden about not shooting mt lions.

Best I can remember the warden said something along the lines of there are no cougars in Alabama, but if you see one don’t shoot it because if you do you are going loose your gun and your truck and have to pay a huge fine because they’re a protected species.
    Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    I get all the above, I really do.

My answer would still be “Who do I make the check out to?”
    Regarding paying fines and such for shooting a lion, I've never heard of anybody getting jacked up if it was at all reasonable. I think it's just like any other decision you make to pull the trigger, the reasonableness will depend on the totality of the circumstances and your ability to articulate ability, opportunity, and jeopardy.

If you're out with a .300 Win Mag and smoke a cougar from 150 yards away, don't have a tag, and want to try to justify it under defense of life, you might have a problem. If it's within a reasonable handgun range and headed toward you, I think you've got a pretty strong case.

None of the stories I've heard about somebody's brother's best friend's girlfriend's uncle getting cited for shooting a cougar or bear that was chewing on their leg have ever held a bit of water when I checked them out.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

The behavior I'm seeing in this most recent video I'm seeing is pretty similar to the encounter described in this article.

I fully support people's right to defend themselves against big animals, but I think if we're spending time outdoors we have a responsibility to educate ourselves about the animals we're sharing space with, and have a level of understanding beyond "I'll just shoot them."

I buy a cougar tag every year, because if I did have dump a cat on my property it makes dealing with the situation much more clear cut. But there's always another cougar that will expand into the territory vacuum I just created, so it's not my #1 strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    IBest I can remember the warden said something along the lines of there are no cougars in Alabama, but if you see one don’t shoot it because if you do you are going loose your gun and your truck and have to pay a huge fine because they’re a protected species.
    The AL DNR people live in absolute terror of a dead cougar, not for the critter, but because it will establish that they are indeed here, and then they will have to develop a "protection plan" once that fact is established. They can keep dismissing eye witness stories (most of which are probably not true), game camera, tracks, etc. but a carcass would put an end to it.

I think a few do come and go here but are very rare. Just like black bears in North AL.

The AL DNR people live in absolute terror of a dead cougar, not for the critter, but because it will establish that they are indeed here, and then they will have to develop a "protection plan" once that fact is established. They can keep dismissing eye witness stories (most of which are probably not true), game camera, tracks, etc. but a carcass would put an end to it.

I think a few do come and go here but are very rare. Just like black bears in North AL.

That's a really common response from F&W folks all through the country. I live in a part of SW Washington where there officially aren't any wolves, and any eye witness reports are dismissed as "must have been a German Shepherd Dog." I don't think there is a resident population here, but I think young wolves on walkabout pass through here semi-regularly. I found sign on a decommissioned forest road not far from here and I'm sure the tracks would have been dismissed as "a really big dog" and any DNA evidence from the giant pile of scat would have been "inconclusive." If I'd found a dead wolf they would have tried to pass if off as an escaped pet or hybrid.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    My comment was meant more tongue and cheek...

As far as the goober with the phone who can’t shoot...I root for the cat. Everyone wants their Andy Warhol 15 minutes. Another issue is that we’re raising kids (who turn into adults) that have no clue they’re being stalked...in the woods or the streets.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Michigan and WI are the same.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    My comment was meant more tongue and cheek...

As far as the goober with the phone who can’t shoot...I root for the cat. Everyone wants their Andy Warhol 15 minutes. Another issue is that we’re raising kids (who turn into adults) that have no clue they’re being stalked...in the woods or the streets.
    My snark wasn't necessarily aimed at anybody here. I run into some real a-holes in the woods, and don't even get me started on hunting related forums and such.

I almost joined one forum with the user name "You'reTheReasonWeCan'tHaveNiceThings" but thought my time would be better spent elsewhere.

Lol

All good here.

Walking backwards, phone filming in one hand, pistol in the other. What a great way to end up on your ass with both the phone & pistol in the air.

User Tag List