Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Cougar Thread!

It still freaks me out that an animal that might not even weigh 100 pounds yet can take down an adult elk. Noteworthy for sure. It's also cool how they tend to play surgeon when they carve out and eat the heart and liver first.

A friend of mine and I saw a lion in an Aspen grove on an elk hunt a year ago last fall. It was only 60 yards away, but when it quit moving we lost it completely. I will never forget that soul-piercing glare we got from it as it was leaving.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    It still freaks me out that an animal that might not even weigh 100 pounds yet can take down an adult elk. Noteworthy for sure. It's also cool how they tend to play surgeon when they carve out and eat the heart and liver first.
    I was watching the Cougar at our local zoo. It just didn’t seem like that thing could handle an elk. Or even a deer. But they obviously do. They are just so lithe and the head isn’t super large like a lion or tiger. Anyway, remembered what you said about how tough they are.

Now the bears scared the crap out of me. I think this is about a 400 lb black bear and I would not want to encounter this thing close.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    I was watching the Cougar at our local zoo. It just didn’t seem like that thing could handle an elk. Or even a deer. But they obviously do. They are just so lithe and the head isn’t super large like a lion or tiger. Anyway, remembered what you said about how tough they are.
    **Warning- Graphic**

This is a lion kill from last Sunday morning 500 yards from a friend of mine's house near Fairplay, CO. Note the throat is ripped out and the heart and liver have been removed.

This may have been the work of a lion that CPW is trying to trap because it has been killing livestock in the area.

Name:  IMG_1548.jpg
Views: 1116
Size:  71.0 KB

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Let’s talk about cougars, mountain lions, catamounts, and pumas.
    CF: great write up. Thanks for that.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    **Warning- Graphic**

This is a lion kill from last Sunday morning 500 yards from a friend of mine's house near Fairplay, CO. Note the throat is ripped out and the heart and liver have been removed.

This may have been the work of a lion that CPW is trying to trap because it has been killing livestock in the area.

Name:  IMG_1548.jpg
Views: 1116
Size:  71.0 KB
    I frequently see deer legs and hooves on the trail while out biking. Seems that is all that is left.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Vibes man, vibes.
    Tend to agree. If you'd fled instead of prepping to fight, it may well have been on like Donkey Kong.

Also, when you're an ambush predator, it's hard to ambush something that is aware of your presence. Not impossible, but hard. It was two vs. three'ish and a fight isn't what mama and cubs were looking for, hence they decided that discretion was the better part of valor.

Not unlike attitudes, commands, and furtive movements send vibes to human predators that you are not the droid they're looking for and they should move along.

Because I clearly have too much time on my hands this morning, waiting for my undergrad to show up and analyses to run (ah, the life of a grad student).

Name:  51kbcALJp5L.jpg
Views: 881
Size:  20.2 KB

Site Supporter
    Relevant video

Also, these masks are a thing in India where being drug off by a big cat isn’t an incredibly rare occurance.

Name:  539w.jpg
Views: 996
Size:  31.6 KB
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 05-16-2019 at 11:36 AM.

I live on the very edge of my city. Past our subdivisions, there is quite literally nothing but desert and mountains on out to Lake Pleasant and Wickenburg. Last winter, after a heavy rainstorm that the area was getting pretty regularly, my next door neighbor came over to let my wife know that the night before during the storm, a mountain lion took refuge from the rain on her front porch, which is roughly about 15 yards from my front porch. She was somewhat discombobulated and nervous and making sure we were warned. My wife took it in stride because, while she did not bother to tell the neighbor this, she knows exactly where and how close the firearms are in relation to our porch. The neighbors are not gun people so they are a bit more nervous.

My wife just asked if I was sure the ammo could handle a mountain lion.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

I've been lucky to not have any close encounters with cougars (unless you count my wife, as she is 8 months older than me) in the wild. I've seen them from some distance a handful of times, but never been closer than maybe 100 yards away. They are really only one of two things I have some fear of in the woods/deserts around here, the other being rattle snakes. I generally give both a wide berth. Bears don't bother me near as much.

I've been in that area out near Great Basin NP, and it can be some nice country. The Deep Creek mountains are a hidden gem out there. I have to ask, what brought you the area?

User Tag List