Page 17 of 33 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Cougar Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Hieronymous View Post
    Not sure. Here's a link to a news story which has the video. Happened in Utah, apparently.

https://www.ketv.com/article/viral-v...utes/34351276#
    Another link: https://www.npr.org/2020/10/13/92315...ke-dying-today

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Those are all excellent questions. We've never run across cougar kittens, but we've run into bear cubs before. They are cute as the dickens and there's a strong impulse to watch/video, etc, but we've taken it as a clue to un-ass the area quickly.
    "Thou shalt not mess with the young of things that can eat you" is a good rule to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Do you think that cat’s behavior was consistent with defense of a cub or a predatory “stalk”? Seemed a long trek for defense.
    I agree with @Lester Polfus. I think it was maternal defense--at least in the first 30 seconds. After that, I think she was trying to decide if she could take him without risking injury. One thing I learned from a wildlife guy is that most predators are usually very hungry--like what it would be like for us to have not eaten for a day or two. I think she thought the dude looked like a tasty meal for her and her cub(s). My guess is this was 6 minutes of testing her prey for weakness. If he had turned and ran after one of her charges, she would have attacked. As soon as he showed he had fight, she was done with the hunt and went back to her cub(s).

From what I know about cougars, showing that you are a threat is essential. It's hard to know what the right answer is, but if I had been in that situation I would: 1) put my fucking phone away, 2) stand tall, with arms in the air, and yell, 3) back away slowly from the cub area for a short distance 4) get rocks and go on the offensive, 5) keep two big rocks in my hands after the cat ran and stay frosty, because they can return and kill you.

Oh, yeah... and not go in the backcountry alone and unarmed.

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    I think if it were predatory, he wouldn't have seen it coming
    Maybe. In the post I described at the beginning of this thread, my wife and I did see them coming, and I was able to draw my gun, get a good sight picture, and prep the trigger. Cougars are stealthy predators, but humans have excellent vision when paying attention, and are taller than a lot of other animals. They were hiding very effectively in tall color-matching grass, but we still saw them.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Or better yet, just go hiking somewhere other than cougar habitat.
    In that case there would be no hiking in my locale.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    For some of us, everywhere there is to hike is cougar/bear country. The danger is real, but relatively minor, and being prepared is easy. Odds/stakes is an easy counter to make, but not really the zinger it might be. It’s not like we’re talking about camping without an elephant-proof fence in Botswana.

Our fellow humans are a more regular, and regularly more dangerous, problem, even in areas where cougars are a real presence. Being prepared for a human threat with a legit sidearm gives you a potent-enough defense tool to deal with a cougar.
    Thank you for your much better answer. Concur 100%.

Site Supporter
    I have zero experience with such an encounter, but to your point I'd have at least as much faith in the "boom" changing its mind than any hits I might get with my normal 9mm carry piece before it was on me. It would be far more comforting to be packing a 12-gauge loaded with Brenneke slugs where one decent hit would do.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    For some of us, everywhere there is to hike is cougar/bear country. The danger is real, but relatively minor, and being prepared is easy. Odds/stakes is an easy counter to make, but not really the zinger it might be. It’s not like we’re talking about camping without an elephant-proof fence in Botswana.

Our fellow humans are a more regular, and regularly more dangerous, problem, even in areas where cougars are a real presence. Being prepared for a human threat with a legit sidearm gives you a potent-enough defense tool to deal with a cougar.
    A full grown cougar runs about 140-150 lbs. It's not a grizzly. Something effective on humans is effective on cougars and Feral humans are always the primary threat.

I have zero experience with such an encounter, but to your point I'd have at least as much faith in the "boom" changing its mind than any hits I might get with my normal 9mm carry piece before it was on me. It would be far more comforting to be packing a 12-gauge loaded with Brenneke slugs where one decent hit would do.

My yard is cougar habitat.

Service pistol cartridges are fine for cougars. The trick is detecting the threat and getting hits.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I agree with @Lester Polfus. I think it was maternal defense--at least in the first 30 seconds. After that, I think she was trying to decide if she could take him without risking injury. One thing I learned from a wildlife guy is that most predators are usually very hungry--like what it would be like for us to have not eaten for a day or two. I think she thought the dude looked like a tasty meal for her and her cub(s). My guess is this was 6 minutes of testing her prey for weakness. If he had turned and ran after one of her charges, she would have attacked. As soon as he showed he had fight, she was done with the hunt and went back to her cub(s).

From what I know about cougars, showing that you are a threat is essential. It's hard to know what the right answer is, but if I had been in that situation I would: 1) put my fucking phone away, 2) stand tall, with arms in the air, and yell, 3) back away slowly from the cub area for a short distance 4) get rocks and go on the offensive, 5) keep two big rocks in my hands after the cat ran and stay frosty, because they can return and kill you.

Oh, yeah... and not go in the backcountry alone and unarmed.

Maybe. In the post I described at the beginning of this thread, my wife and I did see them coming, and I was able to draw my gun, get a good sight picture, and prep the trigger. Cougars are stealthy predators, but humans have excellent vision when paying attention, and are taller than a lot of other animals. They were hiding very effectively in tall color-matching grass, but we still saw them.
    Did I hear the guy in the video say something to the effect of "where's my gun" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Service pistol cartridges are fine for cougars. The trick is detecting the threat and getting hits.
    Good to know.

But sticking with the 12 gauge theme, maybe something like this?

User Tag List