Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Cougar Thread!

Get a pack of Dogs from this dude ..he has legit working lines.

http://www.californiacatchers.com/
    https://www.instagram.com/calicatchers/

An adult cougar was spotted close to our home yesterday. I saw the warning sign in my run this morning. It’s an urban wooded area 10 min of Portland city center.

No one appears concerned. I saw lots of people out with their little kids and dogs.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter
    DON'T FEED THE COUGARS.

Unless they are redheads. And pliable... And stacked....

pat

I’m thinking about this post to NextDoor:

Lost cat? Is this your kitty? No collar. Seems hungry. Not friendly.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    About Boulder, I was in Denver a few years ago and went shooting with Dave Kopel and Gary Mauser. Kopel lives in Boulder then. He told us that the cats were coming down into the suburbs pushing into their territory and walking down the streets. Shot his Springfield TRP, nice gun and a Beretta 21 (jammer).

Also went to Wolfgang Puck's restaurant and had duck pizza (well) and hot molten chocolate cake - if that is relevant- which it isn't.

In Texas, we had coyotes strolling our neighborhood. Now, in Erie County, we have the same. Little dogs beware.
    In my 2nd year of med school we had a kiddo in the PICU who was almost killed by a big cat. Mom found him outside with the kid's head totally in the cat's mouth; mom put on her Superwoman cape and pried her kid from the animal's jaws. Kiddo ended up being just fine, discharged from PICU a day or two after admission. Cat was shot by animal control IIRC.

Next time you end up in Boulder, check out the Med for lunch. Great mediterranean food for a very reasonable price, particularly the lunch menu.

Is this a cougar print?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Is this a cougar print?

@Lost River to the yellow courtesy phone in the lobby please

I’m going with sí guey. Based on the wide spacing of the toes combined with a distinct lack of any claw marks. Did you by chance see anymore tracks ahead of of behind that one?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Is this a cougar print?

It’s been a long time since being immersed in animal tracking and primitive skills but generally cat prints register as a circle while dog tracks are oval. Cats tend to have toes of similar size while dogs have the inner two toes larger (coyotes the outer toes are larger). I also remember a triple lobe in the back of the print but I might be making that up.

Claws for cats only register when they are about to kill shit, retractable. If it was dog and the soft substrate, claws would register.

From a picture on a forum with no context, I would say yes.

I can send some more resources your way after we put the boys to bed, also Portland has a pretty killer tracking/primitive skills community.

Yeah that sure looks like one.

The back ones will often cover the fronts, at least in the snow. I don't have as much experience in seeing them in the soft mud though.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    @Lost River to the yellow courtesy phone in the lobby please

I’m going with sí guey. Based on the wide spacing of the toes combined with a distinct lack of any claw marks. Did you by chance see anymore tracks ahead of of behind that one?
    Very heavily used trail, so there were too many other tracks, including dog.

User Tag List