Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Cougar Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    ... To say the least my brother and I were keyed up for a bit, and took it slow for a while. Shinning our lights around us as we walked, and checking behind us on a regular basis too.
    I bet that was a spooky hike back in the dark.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Hiking out of a hunting area one evening, I heard a lion scream.

I was under some very large, old cottonwoods at the time. Very large, thick limbs over the trail, for over a mile of trail ...

Pretty spooky.

Evidently there are a few cougars that hang around Capitol Reef NP camp ground. The signs are up on the trail heads to watch for them. They have a very large deer herd so cougars stroll in occasionally for a meal. I don't believe anyone has been attacked there recently tho. Large flock of wild turkeys in there also.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter

Spooky and slow, but I think @Duelist has the even scarier experience. There is something less comforting about only hearing the cat vs seeing it.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Just read a good book on this subject, called The Beast in the Garden. It discusses the increase in cougars around Boulder, CO, in the 1990s, largely due to an increased urban deer population and people spreading into previously wild lands and wanting to keep them “natural.” Lots of good info on cougar biology and habits in the book.

Living in central NM now, and we hike as a family: 2yo on my back, wife and 6yo on foot. G19 or G19X stays on my chest in an HPG Runner’s Kit Bag, and 6yo stays in front of me where I can keep eyes on her.

I’ve thought about switching ammo from my 147 HST for those hikes: would hard cast or NATO 124s be better or worse?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Excellent book. The part about a mountain lion and eating a German Shepherd should wake people up.
    #RESIST

Cougar caught on camera outside home in SW Portland area
    https://www.kptv.com/news/cougar-cau...25c08babf.html

..."ODFW said it’s not alarming to see a cougar in that area..."

Hmm. If it were my house, I think I'd be alarmed.

Edit: this wasn't the recent sighting I was looking for. There was another one I can't find that occurred last week.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter
    I used to work around there and take the wife and baby girl to hike in that park. Carried a 442 in those days.

Edit: this wasn't the recent sighting I was looking for. There was another one I can't find that occurred last week.
    It's that time of year. Typically May/June is when all the cougars start jockeying around for new territory and inevitably one winds up in a backyard in the PDX suburbs.

Compounding that this year will be the shutdowns in travel and such. Locally our animal traffic patterns have shifted because through March and April there were fewer folks out in the National and State forests.

Now they are back with a vengeance. It seems like the nice people are staying home, and only the a-holes are coming out. There is lots of fuckery afoot in the National Forest by my house.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

They're fairly common around here also. About 10 years ago my coworker who lives about 10 miles east of me in the foothills talked to wildlife agent about a dead goat he found behind his house. Apparently a cougar had killed a neighbors goat and removed it from the neighbors property. He asked if the agent was sure it was a cougar kill and he said he was 100% sure of it from the carcass.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    About Boulder, I was in Denver a few years ago and went shooting with Dave Kopel and Gary Mauser. Kopel lives in Boulder then. He told us that the cats were coming down into the suburbs pushing into their territory and walking down the streets. Shot his Springfield TRP, nice gun and a Beretta 21 (jammer).

Also went to Wolfgang Puck's restaurant and had duck pizza (well) and hot molten chocolate cake - if that is relevant- which it isn't.

In Texas, we had coyotes strolling our neighborhood. Now, in Erie County, we have the same. Little dogs beware.

User Tag List