Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Cougar Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I remember reading about that. It's remarkable how cougars don't seem very committed to killing kids--or humans in general--compared to how aggressively they dispatch other large prey. Surely an adult cougar wouldn't have a problem killing a child in seconds if it wanted to. Is it because we typically don't fight back? Anyway, my conclusion: have a tool handy in case you or a family member ends up behind the curve of a cougar attack.
    This is just my theory, but I think most larger predators are just confused by us. We look weird, move weird, smell weird, sound weird. I think it tends to not fall into a neat category they recognize, unless they've had a lot of human experience as an individual or population. And then, they tend to view us as not-interesting (bears encroaching on suburban areas eating garbage), or potentially dangerous (wolves in places where there are armed ranchers).

If you think about it logically, even a big and strong human is not even close to a match to a pack of wolves, adult bear, or cougar. Firearms make it kinda better, but if they really wanted to take you out, most of them are capable of being shockingly quiet and really bringing the violence right quick.

Maybe we just don't taste too good.

I've never met a puma or a wolf pack. I've had experiences with black bears 3 times. I gave a sow with cubs a very wide berth, and she kept an eye on me the entire time. Once, the bear and I were both equally surprised, I was sitting quietly by a lake and had the wind moving away. He startled and crashed through the bushes huffing as I did the same in the opposite direction. Another time, I got a bad feeling about the way one eyed me from a football field or so away; I turned around to take a different trail, and warn other hikers that they probably wanted to do the same.
    Last edited by Joe S; 06-01-2020 at 01:24 PM. Reason: I can spells goodly.

Hammertime
    I remember reading about that. It's remarkable how cougars don't seem very committed to killing kids--or humans in general--compared to how aggressively they dispatch other large prey. Surely an adult cougar wouldn't have a problem killing a child in seconds if it wanted to. Is it because we typically don't fight back? Anyway, my conclusion: have a tool handy in case you or a family member ends up behind the curve of a cougar attack.
    I am reading Man Eaters of Kumaon, and I have to say Tigers have zero problem dispatching humans efficiently. The first Tiger he hunts has a body count over 400 people. It is a great read.

Site Supporter
    You might be on to something with the don’t fight back. Maybe it’s because we’re so soft and squishey and easy to kill but still struggle and scream enough to keep it entertaining. Maybe they want to keep us alive for a bit to play with, like house cats sometimes do with their prey.

Based purely on what I've seen in media outlet reporting, a disproportionate number of human attacks that don't result in death or grave injury seem to be committed by inexperienced juveniles who haven't developed their skills yet. Attacks by experienced adult animals are usually full-on and not readily thwarted without the use of a weapon(s).
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    My mom sent me this.

Does whatever is in the porcelain apple qualify as an attractive nuisance?

-----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Cougar Thread!

Mountain Lion filmed stalking kids in San Francisco suburb

https://youtu.be/p1oLgXJdQu4

https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/...-neighborhood/
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Highly recommend this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Cougar-Conund...0797127&sr=8-1

All the people who think cougars should be wiped out think Mark Elbroch is a cougar-loving pansy. All the SPCA, PETA and anti-hunting types think Elbroch is a traitor to animal rights.

That means its a balanced, well-informed take on the issue. I have much respect for Mark.

Highly recommend.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    From the article: "Some neighbors say they don’t want the mountain lion trapped, taken away, or euthanized. instead, they hope that this mountain lion stays away from the kids and pets in the neighborhood."

Well, okay then.

Do they make Cougar Free Zone signs?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by idahojess View Post
    From the article: "Some neighbors say they don’t want the mountain lion trapped, taken away, or euthanized. instead, they hope that this mountain lion stays away from the kids and pets in the neighborhood."

Well, okay then.

Hope in one hand...
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 09-22-2020 at 10:51 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by idahojess View Post

Well, okay then.

That's so incredibly stupid. It reminds me of a lecture I heard about some area of Bangladesh where there are man-eating tigers. The people there won't take measures to protect themselves because they have a fatalistic Inshallah idea that the tigers can't be stopped.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List