Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Cougar Thread!

Sorry. I will accept whatever penalty is imposed.

Name:  2AC34D83-D9DA-4C5D-BE95-DE5D14CD0D42.jpeg
Views: 715
Size:  62.5 KB

Oregon deputy kills cougar threatening family after mom forced to leave sleeping infant inside car

https://apple.news/A-eJk2UNET-qRDnASA5IirA
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I read about that one - holy cow! I'm glad that deputy was able to help out.

Cougar Thread!

Video captures five mountain lions hanging out together in California

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...g-out-together
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 01-17-2020 at 04:36 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

We think of them as solitary but I think there is a bunch of circumstances where they are know to hang out together, I would not see multiple cougars as uncommon.

Site Supporter

When I was at 7th Infantry Division (LIGHT) at FT ORD, we were on a field exercise on the West Coast (probably FT Hunter-Liggett) and we had multiple Cougars probing the perimeter of my TOW Platoon at night. We only had a few NVGs (early 80s) and kept an eye on them. No one was inured through the course of the night - Cougar or Soldier - but for once I had no issue with Soldiers falling asleep on "duty" during the night training exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanye Wyoming View Post
    Sorry. I will accept whatever penalty is imposed.

Name:  2AC34D83-D9DA-4C5D-BE95-DE5D14CD0D42.jpeg
Views: 715
Size:  62.5 KB
    That middle school has an award called "Bringing the Wood".. I shit you not..

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    My mom has seen daylight photos of a cougar on the west side of the island where I grew up, which means they now range over the whole place. Maybe one corner that's an undeveloped park separated from the rest by a couple miles of suburbs would be unlikely, but it's reasonable to assume you could be tracked anywhere else.

When I was a kid, kids could go out in the woods in small groups or even alone and had nothing to worry about. Biggest predators were coyotes, and the only things that needed to worry about them were house cats out at night.

Times change.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    That middle school has an award called "Bringing the Wood".. I shit you not..
    Someone once asked me where the our beautiful young trainee was and I said that she was downstairs helping the surveyors unload their wood. I had no intention of making a joke but a few women in the office thought it was pretty damn funny.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

A few observations:
    It was a perfect sub-second draw—like a Jedi moment with no conscious thought. I’m very glad to have put in the practice time to make a handgun appear quickly when something looked like it needed shooting.

The shoot/no shoot decision happened naturally, and I feel good about not shooting the cougars while they were retreating. I recall preparing to fire but aborting when they didn’t do anything except run away.

I had a good sight picture on the closest one, and even though they were really fast, I was pretty confident of getting hits on Cub2 and the Lioness.

The situation seemed easier than a USPSA activator/target/swinger combo. There seemed like there was plenty of time, which after the fact was very surprising to me.

I didn’t experience tunnel vision. I was able to keep track of two of the cougars but lost sight of the third as it ran into brush toward 11:00.

I read all 9 pages and then came back to the original post. Liked and identified with the reaction you had to the threat. No cougar interactions but this fall we were walking our dog. Came up to a house while we were on the side walk, two large dogs barking at us and our dog and jumping on the fence. Then they ran behind the house, thought that the owner called them inside. They met us on the other side of the house. This side had a gate and with the both of them pounding on the fence the fence gate popped open. They did a quick glance at each other like they couldn't believe the gate opened then they both looked at my wife, my dog and I and charged.

Interesting what actually happens even if you train. The wife absolutely froze in her foot steps, raised both hands and screamed a blood curdling squeal. I cleared my cover garment, put my hand on my gun and reacted to the threat. Then both dogs slowed down and their body language (tails both wagging like crazy) showed no threat and the gun never came out.

Still something that is hard to tell what you will do in reality when the need arises. Didn't want to shoot a man's two dogs in his front yard, but we were on the sidewalk and had no intentions of being a chew toy either.

Have to find a way to get my wife out of the panic / freezing / screaming mode and into action. It was nice to see that I was ready, willing and able to react in a timely way without setting up a meeting to make a joint decision. There was threat recognition and action.

Thanks for sharing your story. The discussion on the cougar sighting is cool, but really like the discussion on threat recognition and what really happens.
    Last edited by Clay1; 01-19-2020 at 11:47 AM.

User Tag List