Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Cougar Thread!

Eye opening

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Highly recommend this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Cougar-Conund...0797127&sr=8-1

All the people who think cougars should be wiped out think Mark Elbroch is a cougar-loving pansy. All the SPCA, PETA and anti-hunting types think Elbroch is a traitor to animal rights.

That means its a balanced, well-informed take on the issue. I have much respect for Mark.

Highly recommend.
    I've been looking for more science on cougars and how they interact with wildlife and people. Thanks for this.
    https://news.mongabay.com/2020/08/th...-mark-elbroch/

[QUOTE=idahojess;1116771]From the article: "Some neighbors say they don’t want the mountain lion trapped, taken away, or euthanized. instead, they hope that this mountain lion stays away from the kids and pets in the neighborhood."/QUOTE]

These are the same people who think if would just be nice to the criminals they would not rob/rape/murder you.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Mountain Lion Charges

Did we see this one yet???? (I just saw it posted by a friend today) 6 minutes of walking backwards while Mountain Lion stalks him, testing him. Awesome video to show those who can only see animals through a "Disney" lense. These are amazing creatures, but they will F****ING eat you if they have the motive, means and opportunity

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...32045400373794

Quote Originally Posted by Hieronymous View Post
    Did we see this one yet???? (I just saw it posted by a friend today) 6 minutes of walking backwards while Mountain Lion stalks him, testing him. Awesome video to show those who can only see animals through a "Disney" lense. These are amazing creatures, but they will F****ING eat you if they have the motive, means and opportunity

Incredible. Best quote: "Dude, where's my gun?"
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    For many of us here, somewhere on the belt. I would have given the cat one in the dirt right next to him just out of respect, then game-on if it didn't take off.

Observation: there seemed to be a plentiful supply of rocks. Not sure I would have had the wherewithal to make use or take the chance bending over to get them, but caveman projectiles better than nothing.

A friend sent me this pic, don't know the guys in it, guess it was hit on the road about 20 mins from my place near where I bike sometimes. Wouldn't want to meet him on a dark trail, that's for damn sure.
    Name:  37169~2.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  34.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Do you think that cat’s behavior was consistent with defense of a cub or a predatory “stalk”? Seemed a long trek for defense.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Do you think that cat’s behavior was consistent with defense of a cub or a predatory “stalk”? Seemed a long trek for defense.
    I think if it were predatory, he wouldn't have seen it coming

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Interesting the guy said he was running. @GJM has mentioned that he believed running in AK made him look like prey, as well as negatively impacting his situational awareness.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Hieronymous View Post

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    For many of us here, somewhere on the belt. I would have given the cat one in the dirt right next to him just out of respect, then game-on if it didn't take off.

Observation: there seemed to be a plentiful supply of rocks. Not sure I would have had the wherewithal to make use or take the chance bending over to get them, but caveman projectiles better than nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    I think if it were predatory, he wouldn't have seen it coming
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Interesting the guy said he was running. @GJM has mentioned that he believed running in AK made him look like prey, as well as negatively impacting his situational awareness.

This doesn't look like predatory behavior to me. Part of the context is that the cat had four cubs with her, so I think this started out as "get the fuck away from my cubs you weird alien being."

Animals can get stuck in some weird behavioral loops sometimes, and I think maybe this cat's prey drive, kinda, sorta kicked in but not completely.

There is some good data that bending over can trigger an attack instinct from big cats. That's a piece of conventional wisdom from tiger and lion trainers that has been applied to mountain lions. I think bending over to pick up a rock, it would have been a mistake.

I likely would have put a round in the dirt near the cat, and be prepared for that to trigger a charge at me, which would have resulted in a cylinder dump in the cat's face. Our family protocol is for nobody to run, but to back away and be prepared for me to dump a round in the dirt if there is time, and then for me to go cyclic into the cat if it doesn't work.

I would love to run on some of the trails and forest roads within a short distance of my house, but I routinely have cats on the ridge 100 yards from my front door, so I'm super leery of doing that. I mountain bike a little but choose to do it in places where the undergrowth is not super close to the road.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List