Page 21 of 33 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Cougar Thread!

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Site Supporter
    When your plan for dealing with a mountain lion is to call 911, you’re a bit behind the curve. That’s kinda like dry land fishing, but for lions not fish, and your kids and pets are the bait
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Hammertime
    Autopsy results from prior possible attack indicate it was an attack, not post mortem feeding:

https://apnews.com/article/wildlife-...51375dce326936

But they don't say if it was a lion.

Site Supporter
    Seems CA is going to continue having more lion issues as the cat population grows. I don't believe they have a lion season any longer do they? No reason for the cats to be fearful of people. Start running, treeing, and shooting a few and they'll be a little more leary of human contact. Of course that would require commonsense management and CA legislates by feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    Seems CA is going to continue having more lion issues as the cat population grows. I don't believe they have a lion season any longer do they? No reason for the cats to be fearful of people. Start running, treeing, and shooting a few and they'll be a little more leary of human contact. Of course that would require commonsense management and CA legislates by feelings.
    They banned hunting cougars with hounds here in WA awhile back. I think they modified that so certain hunters who get state certs now can hunt with hounds. That's really the only way you can control the population. There's a general hunting season for cougars now but you won't be killing any without hounds unless you want to bait them. I hear trail running works really well.
    Last edited by Borderland; 01-27-2021 at 05:02 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    When I started reading your post my first thought was "Outside of a martini or nice chardonnay, how the hell do you hunt cougars without dogs?"

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    When I started reading your post my first thought was "Outside of a martini or nice chardonnay, how the hell do you hunt cougars without dogs?"
    You don't. Lots of people have no clue. Mostly they see wildlife. I see apex predators. Unless a person hunts they wouldn't understand it. I used to hunt grouse in prime cougar habitat with a dog. I always had concerns that either I or my dog would be attacked. I know they were there because I talked to a local Tar Heel who was (illegally) trapping them. Carry on. I don't belong to PETA.
    Last edited by Borderland; 01-27-2021 at 10:06 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    They banned hunting cougars with hounds here in WA awhile back. I think they modified that so certain hunters who get state certs now can hunt with hounds. That's really the only way you can control the population. There's a general hunting season for cougars now but you won't be killing any without hounds unless you want to bait them. I hear trail running works really well.
    Could you check small kids out of orphanages to take them trail running?

Asking for a friend.

Estes Park, Colorado: Guy's dog gets attacked by a cougar in his yard and he had to hit it with a stick to save the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Estes Park, Colorado: Guy's dog gets attacked by a cougar in his yard and he had to hit it with a stick to save the dog.

Damn. Lucky dog-and dude. Survey stake as an impact weapon wouldn’t be my first choice, but I guess it’s better than a sharp stick? Oh, wait.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List