Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Cougar Thread!

Casey Anderson knows his way around wildlife. I agree with his take on the cat's behavior.

I think we can take it as a given that most of us won't agree with his bear spray vs gun attitude. That issue is a Rorschach blot in that someone's attitude about it reveals more about their underlying biases than than anything else. I can usually equally piss people off on both sides.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

https://www.2news.com/news/mountain-...9b879cad0.html

"NDOW says a mountain lion was euthanized after it attacked a 14-year-old girl walking her dog in South Reno last Thursday.

The Nevada Dept. of Wildlife says the incident happened on Terry Way in the Virginia Foothills.

"We don’t know details as far as why it attacked, how, if it went after the dog first, or how she fought it off. Both, the girl, and the dog are safe, but the girl did have minor punctures on her leg," NDOW says in a statement to 2 News.

NDOW clarifies that those minor puncture wounds appear to be scratch marks, not bites.

NDOW says its game wardens "immediately responded" when they received around 10 a.m. and notified USDA’s APHIS Wildlife Services to track down the lion. NDOW says Wildlife Services euthanized it since it was a public safety issue.

"Since then, we have received some additional reports of mountain lion sightings in the Virginia Foothills."

The dog is a Great Pyrenees. Hopefully we'll get some more details on the age and condition of the cat.

Cougar Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Guy View Post

"We don’t know details as far as why it attacked
    Hmm. Motives of alpha predators are murky. Maybe it was hungry and thought a teen girl and her dog looked tasty? Nah, must be another explanation.

I get that officials want to keep people from panicking, but does anyone actually believe that human isn’t on the menu?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Hmm. Motives of alpha predators are murky. Maybe it was hungry and thought a teen girl and her dog looked tasty? Nah, must be another explanation.

I get that officials want to keep people from panicking, but does anyone actually believe that human isn’t on the menu?
    I think a lot of people, even some biologists actually do. Since folks decided that we shouldn’t kill off all the apex predators, hasn’t the official line in American education been that sharks, bears, cougars and other large predators don’t “choose” to predate people for some time now?

I’m not trying to turn this thread into a debate on predator eradication, it’s just a trend I noticed a long time ago. From personal experience I didn’t realize how bad non-fatal snake bites could be until my early twenties and a night of google because as a kid I was really into learning about nature and stuff and all those folks all said “don’t worry about it, most snake bites in North America are non fatal.”
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 11-18-2022 at 10:43 PM.

NDOW is usually pretty good about releasing details such as age and condition after events like this so hopefully they'll come through.

https://www.kolotv.com/2022/11/17/te...on-south-reno/

"RENO, Nev. (KOLO) - Update at 3:49 p.m. on Nov. 18: The Nevada Department of Wildlife is releasing new details about a mountain lion’s attack on a 14-year-old girl in south Reno.

They say the girl was walking a short distance from her home when she noticed a small mountain lion stalking her. NDOW officials say she took the necessary steps to deter the lion, including facing it, throwing rocks, and yelling.

She was knocked to the ground, potentially because her dog was spooked, before the lion pounced on her. The lion immediately released her and ran away.

“This is extremely strange behavior from a mountain lion. Usually these are very elusive animals, and it’s rare to see a mountain lion, let alone be approached by one,” said Nevada Department of Wildlife Public Information Officer Ashley Sanchez. “We suspect the mountain lion, which was emaciated, either attacked out of desperation for food, or this was practice hunting behavior for the animal based on its small size and the fact that it immediately ran away.”

Since the Nov. 10 incident, NDOW has received calls of mountain lion activity in the Virginia Foothills that is currently being investigated by wardens..."

Site Supporter
    Cougar eats yappy dog:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...ngeles/672285/

We don’t know what P-22 was thinking, of course, during that time. Did he have tunnel vision and just see the dog and not the person? Or did he notice the person? We just won’t know. He definitely noticed the person when the struggle happened. The dog walker was walking two small dogs that were behind him. P-22 grabbed the smaller dog. From what I understand, the dog walker felt the tug on the leash and turned around. And it happened so quick, just a few seconds pulling back and forth. P-22 grabbed the dog and ran away.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Do you have P-22’s phone number? I have 2 yappers across the street that might taste good.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ollywood-hills
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Do you have P-22’s phone number? I have 2 yappers across the street that might taste good.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ollywood-hills
    Cougars are not any different than most predators. They will find something to eat even in your back yard. Where I live we don't have any cougars because it's an island. The last one killed here was 1957. We have plenty in the Cascade range about 40 miles east. They kill livestock and people. That's more or less how they roll. There have been attempts here to make hunting cougars illegal but fish and game biologists that understand cougars maintain that they need to be controlled. Still legal to hunt them here.
    Last edited by Borderland; 11-29-2022 at 09:49 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Cougars are not any different than most predators. They will find something to eat even in your back yard. Where I live we don't have any cougars because it's an island. The last one killed here was 1957. We have plenty in the Cascade range about 40 miles east. They kill livestock and people. That's more or less how they roll. There have been attempts here to make hunting cougars illegal but fish and game biologists that understand cougars maintain that they need to be controlled. Still legal to hunt them here.
    When I used to get drawn for an archery hunt for elk I could buy deer, turkey, and Mountain Lions tags. IIRC the lion tag was a buck.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

User Tag List