Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast

Thread: Cougar Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Cougar gets inside in Colorado.

Looks like it was hanging out for about six hours.

I feel like there's a pretty good chance somebody in my family would say "hey! I think that's a cougar track." It most likely would be my nine-year-old.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

2 cougars attacked a group of mountain bikers in Washington State, injuring a 60 year old woman: https://www.king5.com/article/news/l...d-d4b833fb1cd8

Site Supporter
    Here is an interview of the bikers. Good fighting attitude.
    The picture of them standing on the bike with the cougar under it is pretty impressive...

The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    More details: https://www.kolotv.com/2024/03/25/el...n-lion-attack/ No explanation yet as to why deputies "fired their guns to scare it off" instead of shooting the cat outright.

"EL DORADO COUNTY, California (KOLO) - The El Dorado County Sheriff’s Office is giving new details in the case of a mountain lion attack in El Dorado County that killed one person and severely injured another.

They say that on Saturday, around 1:00 p.m., the victims, identified as Taylen and Wyatt, were walking along Skid Road in the area of Kelsey, California in search of deer antler sheds. They did not take any guns with them so as not to attract attention from the California Department of Fish and Wildlife.

Police say that while they were walking along the dirt roadway, they saw a mountain lion walk up to the road from the lower side. The lion saw and approached the pair. Taylen and Wyatt raised their hands into the air to appear larger and yelled at the lion, with Wyatt throwing his backpack at it trying to scare it away.

Rather than run away in fear, the lion instead charged Wyatt. Taylen beat the lion before Wyatt was able to wrestle it to the ground before it bit Taylen in the throat.
    Wyatt, who had suffered lacerations to the face, tried to call 911, but, with limited cell service, ran back toward where the pair had parked their car to get service and call 911.

Wyatt got into his car and drive back to where the attack happened hoping to scare the lion away, but, upon his return, found both Taylen and the lion gone.

He then drove back to the intersection of Darling Ridge and Skid Road where he met El Dorado County Deputies who gave him first aid until medics arrived. Wyatt was taken to Marshall Medical Hospital in Placerville, where he was evaluated and then taken to UC Davis for reconstructive surgery of the major lacerations to his face and neck.

Police say Wyatt is at home recovering.

After leaving Wyatt in the care of the medics, deputies responded to the area where the attack happened and searched the area. They eventually found the lion crouched next to Taylen, firing their guns to scare it off.

Copyright 2024 KOLO. All rights reserved."

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Guy View Post
    More details: https://www.kolotv.com/2024/03/25/el...n-lion-attack/ No explanation yet as to why deputies "fired their guns to scare it off" instead of shooting the cat outright.
    I thought the same and joked that they probably just missed and wanted to save face, but I was corrected by an insider:

they have to demonstrate that they didn't try to harm it as a first resort. I do think this policy needs to be revised now that the population is healthy enough that man killers can be eliminated
    The law is FGC § 4801.5

Site Supporter
    It would seem like killing a hiker would qualify as a imminent threat to public health or safety, but hey.... maybe there needs to be a committee of experts that does such designations.

(a) Unless authorized in this chapter, nonlethal procedures shall be used when removing or taking any mountain lion that has not been designated as an imminent threat to public health or safety.

(b) For purposes of this chapter, “imminent threat to public health or safety” means a situation where a mountain lion exhibits one or more aggressive behaviors directed toward a person that is not reasonably believed to be due to the presence of responders.

https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/fish-an...c-sect-4801-5/

My understanding is they could kill it if the victim was still alive and the cougar was preventing first responders from rendering aid, but retrieving a body didn't meet the "imminent" need and they had to essentially get a depredation permit.

Wouldn't ever be a problem in a normal state, but many of the new breed of fish and game wildlife folks in California have... different priorities...

Another source that I cannot now re-find says that they were unsure if he was alive and the cat was too close to get a safe shot, so they fired to create separation.

Found the reference in this story. It gives more detail on the chain of events but no fundamental changes to the narrative.
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/northern-...224300808.html

User Tag List