Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vintage S&W 66 2.5” Snub vs New 66-8 2.75” Snub?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    I think that's internet legend based on the MIM = bad opinion of people who've never worked with steel.
    I’m not saying MIM is bad. I’m suggesting S&W switched from forged to MIM because it’s cheaper and brings the price down. I don’t think they switched to MIM because it’s functionally better.

At best I think MIM is equal to forged, and most likely MIM is marginally worse than forged. But since as the final consumer I can have forged for about the same price as MIM (because a used vintage gun is about the same price as a lightly used new MIM gun), then this one piece of the calculus shifts in favor of the older gun, at least slightly.

For defensive use, IMO just get a glock...

A revolver is semiobsolete for this use, but no doubt is a thing of beauty, and the older M19 wins hand down in this regard...

I don't know your location but I would think a 3" 65 could be had in the price range mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by powell556 View Post
    I’m not saying MIM is bad. I’m suggesting S&W switched from forged to MIM because it’s cheaper and brings the price down. I don’t think they switched to MIM because it’s functionally better.
    I'm speculating, but doing so from significant experience, when I say that S&W made the change to keep revolvers producible for a reasonable cost to the consumer. If you want to see what a revolver made completely from forged and billet raw materials costs, look at a Korth. Or maybe Dan Wesson. Either way, you ain't getting a revolver made the "old fashioned" way new for what you can buy a new S&W. Nope. No way.

At the end of the day MIM parts may not be functionally better than those machined from a forging or barstock. But they are functionally every bit their equal and cost less which means we don't pay $1500+ for a new revolver. And that makes them better.

You're right in that it's your money and your choice. I only want to give you a perspective from someone who is familiar (from a professional angle) with the technical and business sides of this issue.

Site Supporter
    I buy and love the old S&Ws but if I planned to shoot it a lot I would buy a new Ruger GP100 over a new S&W. I don’t carry my full size revolvers for defense much. I’m more comfortable carrying my Glock 19

Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    the newer one will also be able to swap out the front sight
    At my age this is a really big deal, YMMV.
    I dont love the lock, but probably one of the next things I plan to get is probably a new 66 2.75".

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I have been thinking about trying to snag one of these:

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...-plus-deluxe-0

At least according to the published specs, it is very similar in size/weight/form factor to the 66 with an extra round.

It is 3.3 oz heavier and .4" longer.

Not sure if it is on your radar or not.

I haven't had my hands on either so the 686 might be noticeably bigger than the 66.

For me, the most significant advantage of the new 2.75” 66 is the crane locking system that no longer requires a threaded ejector rod, and, thus, eliminates a common malfunction point. On a defensive gun, that would be enough to make me choose a new 66 over an old one—and I own both a 66 no-dash 2.5” and a 66-2 3”.
    Last edited by oregon45; 05-18-2019 at 08:53 AM.

That's a no brainer for me. S&W stopped building good revolvers in the 80's. I have a few pre 90 guns (3) and when compared to a newer one the difference in quality is glaring. After buying a new 625-8 I won't buy another new Smith.

That's one reason an older gun in excellent condition will bring the same price as a new one. The used market is a good indicator of what people think of the new guns. Older guns appreciate, newer ones don't and never will. If you don't care about that I suppose a new one is just as good.
    Last edited by Borderland; 05-18-2019 at 10:16 AM.

User Tag List