Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Long barrel 9mm defensive ammo

From a 16" "PCC" - A 115-grain +P+ like the 9BPLE will basically fragment, shedding jacket and separating the core. If you want to blow rabbits or squirrels apart and not have to pick up what is left, they work great.

Now, if you want to use a 9mm carbine/long carbine-style pistol for defensive use - monolithic bullets are ideal, simply because they tend to not fragment as readily.

No one is going to argue a 16" 9mm carbine is better than a 16" 5.56 AR in terms of ballistic performance. But if one happens to have an AR9 handy and not an AR15, it is what it is.

We never saw much difference in terminal performance of 147 HST whether fired from a handgun or MP5. Likewise, with 147 gr HST there is not much meaningful difference between standard pressure and +P.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

50 rounds of barrier blind 9mm (HST, Gold Dot, etc.) costs less than 50 rounds of barrier blind 5.56. My G19 magazines are compatible with my Ruger PC Carbine.

I'd much rather rely on a real rifle for defensive purposes than a PCC any day of the week, be it .300 BLK, 6.8 SPC, 5.56 mm, or even .308.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dodson View Post
    50 rounds of barrier blind 9mm (HST, Gold Dot, etc.) costs less than 50 rounds of barrier blind 5.56.
    That is a terrible reason to pick one caliber over another.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    That is a terrible reason to pick one caliber over another.
    It's just an addition to the other calibers I already have, and allows me to use the same 9mm ammo and magazines I also already have.

The government says we're due for a catastrophic, widespread earthquake at any moment here in western Washington. The Ruger PC carbine is an extra resource in the event of a breakdown in law and order.

I think a lot of the issues discussed are based on using existing projectiles based on 4" barreled pistols in longer barrels (be they SMG or carbine length.) Would this change if someone designed a hollowpoint for higher velocities or found an existing projectile that did better than other at higher velocities?

Probably not--you still have an overly large 9 mm handgun...

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    At this point, with its 6-inch barrel, I am really beginning to see the G17L as being the best balance of concealability, over-all length and weight that maximizes muzzle velocity (esp. with the 147 HST2) followed closely by the G17/19.

The overall length of the G17L, at 8.85 inches, is only slightly greater than that of a 5" 1911 at 8.25 inches (which I've carried all year 'round for much of my professional life) and it weighs much less 26.5 ounces (G17L) v. 39 ounces (1911).
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    At this point, with its 6-inch barrel, I am really beginning to see the G17L as being the best balance of concealability, over-all length and weight that maximizes muzzle velocity (esp. with the 147 HST2) followed closely by the G17/19.
    I get the objection. A 9mm PCC (or any caliber PCC) is simply not a rifle. It's just a large handgun (at least as far as ammo performance is concerned). But it's still a rifle, with three points of contact and legally shouldered. Does this not make it a viable option for ranges between say, 5 and 75 yards?

A Glock 17L or G34 (if we are sticking with 9mm) offers several advantages over a 9mm PCC in the same way any handgun offers the convenience of concealed carry and speed of deployment over any rifle, but suffers from shorter sight radius and only two points of contact. Would not a 9mm PCC offer improved hit potential over a handgun, even a handgun equiped with a red dot?

I always thought a rifle was a better option than a PCC, and a PCC was a better option than a handgun for shots at extended ranges, but I am open to being wrong.

User Tag List