Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Long barrel 9mm defensive ammo

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I think @WDR 's point, and rightfully so, is that you're not going to get any significant advantages in terminal ballistics with a PCC; there's no "long barrel load" that will do anything that a regular quality self-defense/duty load won't do.

That has nothing to do with whether you like PCCs because of a insignificantly flatter trajectory or any other aspect of why you like PCCs.
    Agreed. I built my 7" barreled AR 9mm pistol with my wife in mind. Unfortunately it's kind of a hog, not nearly as light and handy I my SIL's CZ Scorpion. The upside is I have a bottom loading Hahn block and I can drop the block and throw on another upper in .300BO or whatever pretty easily if I want. Win Ranger 127 +P+ clocks 1306 out of it and it eats them like candy. Actually it's ran on every single load I've tried in it from USPSA gamer loads to the +P+ with a lone exception. It utterly refuses to run bulk Wally World Rem 115 JHP. No biggie. I should just part it out and go with a .300BO like DocGKR mentions. Rifle caliber...It's definitely a better route for the AR platform. As for actual defensive purposes, sure they will work, but a CZ or Sig platform is probably better suited if you want a pistol caliber.

As far as my PCC gun goes, my 16" JP barrel just doesn't do anything really exceptional velocity wise. That works in both directions too. If I want to get down close to USPSA 125PF I have to load some really lightweight bullets as backing down the already meager charge of uber fast powder just doesn't have much effect. My minor loads running 132'ish in pistols are clocking well into the 140's in the PCC. Having two loads for USPSA is no bueno for me, it's just not worth the effort. I may have to chrono the +P+ out of the 16" just for giggles, but I just don't think there's enough powder capacity in 9mm to see much gain. PCC is just a game, there's not a lot of "practical" use for them other than getting in some trigger time and playing the game.
    Last edited by Spartan1980; 05-30-2019 at 07:30 PM.

The Lucky Gunner guy discovered this subject...

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
    The Lucky Gunner guy discovered this subject...

I am seeing much larger velocity gains out of my 16" barreled AR9. For example:

Glock 19

Speer Lawman 115gr 1163 fps

Handload 3.5gr Sport Pistol 147 gr coated cast 947 fps

AR9

Speer Lawman 115gr 1500 fps

Handload 3.5gr Sport Pistol 147 gr coated cast 1094 fps.

Sport Pistol is much faster burning than the BE-86 that Speer is probably using in the Lawman. If I used that in my handload the difference in velocity from the Glock 19 to the AR9 would most likely be significantly higher. Having compared 200gr Gold Dots in a 3 3/4" revolver vs a 20" rifle, you don't see as great of a percentage increase as you do with a cast bullet or (based on my limited observation) their 9mm 115gr TMJ bullet.

What I particularly like with a 9mm carbine is the ability to be extremely accurate even out to 300 yards. That does require accurate range estimation, especially with my subsonic hand loads. It is easy to hit clay pigeons at 220 yds with my rifle and hand loads. A friend who is experienced at competition shooting out to more than 1000 yd distances was able to put 3 shots on top of each other at 210 yards, the fourth spread the group to 2". But, again if a threat emerges at that distance (rather than plinking on the range) range estimation becomes extremely important. The drop at 225 yds is about the same as a 7.62 x 39 load at over 500 yds or a 5.56 at close to 700 yards.

In addition, I am much more accurate and my splits are faster at short ranges on mulitiple targets with the AR9. This part probably goes without saying

If forced to illogically choose a 9 mm PCC for defensive purposes, a bonded 147 gr load would likely be my pick....
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    If forced to illogically choose a 9 mm PCC for defensive purposes, a bonded 147 gr load would likely be my pick....
    Mine too. Speer, however, does not recommend their 147 gr bullets for barrels longer than 10". Not just their Gold Dot, but their TMJ also. So, it seems it is not a concern with over expansion. Anyone have any ideas or knowledge why?

https://www.speer-ammo.com/downloads...__147_rev1.pdf

I may try coming up with some hand loads with the 147 gr Gold Dot later and test for velocity and accuracy.

From my Ruger PC9 I chronographed a velocity of 1022 fps for Federal 147gr HST and 1395 fps for Speer 124gr +P Gold Dot.

User Tag List