Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which first 9mm pistol for a beginner with 8 months experience

Which first 9mm pistol for a beginner with 8 months experience

Hi,

I'm finally able to legally buy/own a handgun in my home country (France, so it's not easy!).

The problem is: I could only try a few pistols at the shooting range because they don't have many and I don't know what to buy.

I just know that I want a 9mm pistol for regular target shooting at 15m-25m (roughly 15-25 yards).

At the shooting range I could try:
    -Glock 17/19 Gen5
    -Sig Sauer P320
    -Sig Sauer P226 LDC
    -CZ Shadow 1 (SP01)

I really dislike the Glocks: the trigger feels weird to me and also it's a very light gun, which I don't like because the recoil kicks a lot/is hard.

On the other hand, I like the CZ Shadow 1 very much: the trigger is very smooth/light and it's much heavier so the recoil feels much better.

In short, I'm looking for:
    -A 9mm pistol
    -Pretty "heavy"
    -With a "smooth" trigger
    -For target shooting
    -Under $1500

Can you recommend me pistols like this?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Miss Manners
    If the Shadow 1 is available to you, you can afford whatever it costs in France, and you say you don't like the Glock 17, then get the CZ. Or a Beretta 92.

Otherwise, I'd say get the Glock and shoot it a lot. After 500-1000 rounds, you will probably be used to it and like it better.
    Last edited by Duelist; 05-15-2019 at 03:08 PM.

Site Supporter
    Sig P210
    HK USP Expert
    Browning Hi-Power
    1911 (9mm)

Are a couple big 9mm guns that can be fun at the range.

Site Supporter
    OP,
    Since you're looking for a heavy 9mm with a smooth trigger for target shooting, (I'm assuming concealed carry is out of the question in France) Then, the CZ Shadow 1 is your huckleberry..I have several CZ's so, I may be biased Maybe look for a CZ Shadowline SP01, They're fairly common in Europe, here in the U.S. they're kinda rare, as CZ dosen't import them very often.. I have one and it's a tackdriver..
    Last edited by ralph; 05-15-2019 at 03:28 PM.

I'd be super happy with the CZ. Plus, since it's a widely used competition gun, there's all sorts of parts and support available all over the world.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill

Unless you can find a screaming deal on a SIG P210, the CZ checks off all of your requirements, particularly as you are interested in target shooting. If neither is attractive to you, then certainly an M1911.

As a Sig Fan, I'd have the P226 LDC over the CZ, but the CZ is a fine weapon.

If you have access to a Beretta 92 series, the Sig, CZ & B19 are all very comparable in size, weight and capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I'd be super happy with the CZ. Plus, since it's a widely used competition gun, there's all sorts of parts and support available all over the world.
    Exactly. There’s a reason the Shadow2 is dominant in IPSC/USPSA. Can you buy a Shadow2 in France?
    "BJJ is sort of like nonconsensual yoga"
    "You don’t really graduate from certain problems or certain things… like you always have to work on trigger control and pulling the trigger straight. " --Ben Stoeger 1/24/2018

Site Supporter
    Welcome to PF!

I would definitely look at the P226 and Beretta 92.

Are there strict storage laws for firearms in France?

CZ P07 with CGW goodies, Dawson FO front and black rear..

User Tag List