Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gen 5 Glock G45 + S3F barrel + EVO-9. Meh, I still hate pistol cans.

Gen 5 Glock G45 + S3F barrel + EVO-9. Meh, I still hate pistol cans.

One of the albeit lesser draws to me of switching from my Gen 4 G17's to Gen 5 G45's was the potential to run a threaded G19 barrel and still have the gun fit in all my existing G17 holsters. In case you didn't know, I have an AAC Evo-9 that is old school cool and has some nostalgia attached to it, but I haven't shot it on a pistol in years. Heck, I haven't even owned a pistol I could host in on in years.

So yesterday I met a guy locally selling an S3F fluted and threaded G19 barrel in black nitride for $120. Decent price and scratches an itch, so why not? I'd also read several reports of the S3F barrels being quite accurate. Maybe moreso than Gen 3 and Gen 4 guns, but it's not more accurate than the Gen 5 guns. It's about the same and maybe slightly less; at least with the 115gr Fiocchi I was using today. It does allow me to mount my can, though, and that was really the whole point. I'm running the Ameriglo Agent sights on this pistol and they're just tall enough to almost have tops of blades even with top of can. Basically, use a "drive-the-dot" sight picture with the can and you'll "mostly" hit the target. One cool feature of the EVO, though, is it's adjustable piston and I was able to dial it in to POA = POI at 7yds with this ammo, but that was after I took these pics.

7yd, 10-shot freestyle groups:

25yd 10-shot freestyle groups:

This is with the stock barrel and I think the group suffered by trying to aim at a 1" square in an indoor range @ 25yds. Still not bad overall:

I will say I'm anxiously awaiting the release of the ACRO and plan to have one of my G45's direct milled for one. Maybe once the RDS is in-play I'll appreciate the can more. Until then, it's good for nothing but a range toy and posting sweet pics on instagram to whore for likes

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Not sold on the ACRO yet. We’ll see. Maybe I’ll change my mind. I have a g45 slide at the shop being milled for an RMR right now and can’t see the draw to the ACRO.

Quote Originally Posted by pew_pew View Post
    Not sold on the ACRO yet. We’ll see. Maybe I’ll change my mind. I have a g45 slide at the shop being milled for an RMR right now and can’t see the draw to the ACRO.
    From my perspective, Aimpoint has a 20+ year history of putting out a bombproof product. Trijicon's record is not nearly as clean. I would expect the ACRO to follow suit. Like you say, we'll see.
    Food Court Apprentice

So, I was attributing a lot of the misses seen above due to the fact that I was trying to see the sights through the suppressor. You know, the whole occluded aiming concept and so there might be slightly less precision.

I was wrong (that happens a lot).

But, as is my mantra: "Shoot the gun and learn things."

So my "Perfect Impact Guarantee" Dawson front finally came in (.360 tall) and so as I was driving back from Nashville Saturday I got the bright idea to reconfigure my G45 for Suppressor Usage Commonality (the SUCk if you will ) I re-installed the Dawson adjustables, re-installed the S3F barrel and took it to the range over lunch today with the suppressor.

Looks good for Instagram:

I did a rough zero @ 25yds and then shot a group with 147 Gold Dot:

Not the best, not the worst, whatever:

Then I put the can on and repeated:
    Wow, massive suppressor shift.

So I decided to try at 7yds and see if I could "justify" the platform at shorter range:

Oh God, that's bad. Maybe I forgot how to shoot a Glock. Let's take the can off and confirm:

Ok, no I still know how to shoot. Suppressors on pistols are just gay. Fk them.

Time to put the right sights (Ameriglo Proglos) back on this gun, and sell the sights, barrel, and can as a "make your Glock 19/45 suppressed package."

FML
    Last edited by ASH556; 03-04-2019 at 01:50 PM.
    Food Court Apprentice

Personally, the only gun I enjoy shooting with a can is my USP Tactical, as it was purpose-made for one and it definitely feels like it (adjustable sights to compensate for any POI shift, of which I have yet to experience, is a plus). My P30L V1 and Glock 19.4 are set up for suppressors but I don't really care for shooting either with it.

That said, I'm of the opinion that a pistol caliber can is still a worthwhile investment - you just need a pistol caliber carbine to make it useful. My $0.02.

What is it you don't like about shooting glock or P30 suppressed? Are there accuracy issues? Or not quite enough? Or?

Quote Originally Posted by einherjarvalk View Post
    Personally, the only gun I enjoy shooting with a can is my USP Tactical, as it was purpose-made for one and it definitely feels like it (adjustable sights to compensate for any POI shift, of which I have yet to experience, is a plus). My P30L V1 and Glock 19.4 are set up for suppressors but I don't really care for shooting either with it.

That said, I'm of the opinion that a pistol caliber can is still a worthwhile investment - you just need a pistol caliber carbine to make it useful. My $0.02.

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    What is it you don't like about shooting glock or P30 suppressed? Are there accuracy issues? Or not quite enough? Or?
    The P30L seems to choke on 147 grain HSTs with the can on (might be related to the Taylor Freelance extensions I have), and the Glock just feels a little weird with it. I think it's mostly just a balance thing; the USP is a tank in pretty much every way so it balances better and the recoil impulse is noticeably smoother since it has the SD-specific recoil spring setup.

Quote Originally Posted by einherjarvalk View Post
    The P30L seems to choke on 147 grain HSTs with the can on (might be related to the Taylor Freelance extensions I have), and the Glock just feels a little weird with it. I think it's mostly just a balance thing; the USP is a tank in pretty much every way so it balances better and the recoil impulse is noticeably smoother since it has the SD-specific recoil spring setup.
    That all makes a lot of sense, thanks.
    Hopefully the P30L is ok and it's ust the mag extensions causing problems.

As far as I can tell, it's specifically the extension + JHP + suppressor causing the issues. The P30L SD barrel has a slight change to the feed ramp angle and that seems to be doing it. The moment any one of those things comes out of the equation the whole thing works flawlessly. FMJ + can + extension, extension + HST without suppressor, etc. all work fine.

Interesting, I didn't realize the fees ramp was a different angle. Is that an aftermarket barrel? I thought I remembered HK made one for the P30 but not the P30L. It's exceptionally possible I'm mistaken about that though.

User Tag List