Thread: RFI: Indianapolis

RFI: Indianapolis

I know we have some Indy folks around here. What's good?

I'm planning to fly in for something in August; any suggestions on places to go, things to see, places to eat? Doesn't have to be within walking distance of anywhere.

Any tips for out of state carriers? My CCW appears to be good there, and I'm capable of googling the basics.

I've previously been to Speedway and eaten at The Eagle on Mass Ave, which was phenomenal. But it was a day trip and I saw nothing else.
    Last edited by TheRoland; 05-12-2019 at 05:28 PM.

For red meat, St Elmo is one of my favorite steak houses in the entire country.

Quote Originally Posted by 36trap View Post
    For red meat, St Elmo is one of my favorite steak houses in the entire country.
    @Rosco Benson and I ate an early dinner there on Friday after the NRA-AM. It had been decades for me but it was as good as I remembered, and also a friendly reception. Our waiter speculated on why we were in town, offered up that he has multiple firearms, a son that is a sniper (I think he said) in the Rangers, asked if we saw the President, and mentioned that he rode his Harley into work that day in case the visit caused traffic problems. I had sorta wondered if we might get a cold shoulder from a place with nice tablecloths, but just the opposite.

For a lunch in the same downtown area I like www.shapiros.com

Our hotel was behind the Classy Chassis, and I will neither confirm nor deny that I can render any opinions…
    Last edited by mmc45414; 05-12-2019 at 07:24 PM.

My wife and I were in Indy a couple years ago for a Neil Diamond concert (not my preferred music, but he put on a great show). We were impressed with "Mesh" on Massachusetts Ave. Creative cuisine in a comfortable setting.

I am always hesitant to recommend a restaurant based on having been there that long ago. They can change a lot. The area Mesh is in is very walkable, with lots of neat little bars and art stuff.

Next time there, we're going to stay at the Union Station Crown Plaza hotel and get one of the train car rooms.

As mmc4514 noted, we had a great meal at St. Elmo's last month. Great food and attentive service, without the hovering around the staff does at a Morton's.

Rosco

St Elmo’s is an institution. Always great.

For other foods, the Tamale Place is about 85% abuela legit. I think they have 2 locations now. There’s also a really good burger place in town called Punch Burger that’s well worth a shot. A few great micro pubs in Broadripple.

The whole Broadripple neighborhood is a good place to just get about and walk around, lots of things to discover.

The Museum of Art is pretty good for a few hours in an afternoon.

You won’t have any issues with carry as long as you have a permit from your home state.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Slippery Noodle if you're near downtown, Mug & Bun if you're near Speedway. Both local and both worth the visit. Get a root beer at Mug & Bun. They have seating now, but it's traditionally a car-hop place.

Jockamo's Pizza. Slaughterhouse 5 if you like meats.

Eagle Creek Park is a nice place for day hikes and to see some wildlife. War memorial downtown doesn't take long to see, but it worth it. Downtown has panhandlers but has very little violent crime, if you want to visit any of the museums, zoo, or walk the canal. The canal can get a little more sporty at night on weekends, though.

Indiana accepts all out of state licenses for handguns. There are very few "off limits" places, you're fine to carry in a bar, "no guns" signs don't have any force of law behind them (although you can still be trespassed if it comes to that), etc. Avoid going in schools and courts and you'll be fine. No rules on magazine capacity, ammo type, etc.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List