Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Halle in John Wick/3

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    just don't look down your nose at us.
    I did not presume that you would hold my opinion of you so highly.

Is that a “should not”? Is it wrong for me to have and/or state such an opinion?

Is there a substantial penalty for thinking and stating, in uncoarse language that one is unimpressed by things and or manners of thinking that one considers silly and frivolous?

I remember how I prefaced my post; do you?

With this, I will close.
    Last edited by Gray01; 05-19-2019 at 07:43 PM.

Site Supporter
    @Gray01 - You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, and to state it freely. I will continue to be unimpressive.

Looking forward to seeing this soon.

Love me some John Wick.

Site Supporter
    Crap! I like a good shoot 'em-up. I will watch this and probably enjoy it. Even though I enjoy trying to pick apart some of the shooting. Now I have to worry about feeling guilty?
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart Carter View Post
    Crap! I like a good shoot 'em-up. I will watch this and probably enjoy it. Even though I enjoy trying to pick apart some of the shooting. Now I have to worry about feeling guilty?
    Horse shit.

John Wick falls in to films classed as “amusement art” which make no pretense of being the real world and are purely for entertainment vs “magical art” which claim to be realistic and/or a version of the real world. Discussion here:

Last edited by HCM; 05-19-2019 at 11:23 PM.

Site Supporter
    I thought it was better than 2 but not as good as the original. They have fully embraced the cartoony action and make no attempt at realism. Approach this movie like a Shaw Brothers movie, a bunch of interesting, really well done action sequences with a weak plot linking them together.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    I thought it was better than 2 but not as good as the original. They have fully embraced the cartoony action and make no attempt at realism. Approach this movie like a Shaw Brothers movie, a bunch of interesting, really well done action sequences with a weak plot linking them together.
    About what I figured. Taking my youngest to see it tonight...
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Gray01 View Post
    Is there no one that negatively impresses you without implicating any sort of “moral superiority”?
    Perhaps this is one of those scenarios where shades of meaning don't carry well in text. The words and sentence structure you chose were such that I'd only use them if my intent was to be either intentionally insulting or facetious, and at the time, facetious didn't even occur to me, which left insulting as the only option in my mind. If that's truly not what you intended, then I apologize for misunderstanding you.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Perhaps this is one of those scenarios where shades of meaning don't carry well in text. The words and sentence structure you chose were such that I'd only use them if my intent was to be either intentionally insulting or facetious, and at the time, facetious didn't even occur to me, which left insulting as the only option in my mind. If that's truly not what you intended, then I apologize for misunderstanding you.
    It could very possibly be due to the considerable difference in my age compared to many on this site. (For example, my children are in their 50’s.)

I was raised in a time when diagramming sentence structure in third grade was de rigueur and Latin fluency was an
    expected accomplishment by the eighth. Ambiguity was something to be avoided and precision was considered an attribute of erudition. Within the goal of said preciseness, by custom and practice both the sender and the recipient, as a matter of education and practice, avoided inference and expected that what was said was only what was meant. Hence, I meant solely what I said, and my statement was absent any moral implications toward those who enjoy the genre.

So, in clarification, I find the genre silly, and am unimpressed that serious men would enjoy such silliness. That they do is their liberty and business.

After pondering that my point will be odious in the sight of some, nonetheless, I decided to opine in the pursuit of venturing from my hermitage:
    I continue the be negatively impressed that those who (seemingly) profess serious pursuits would find themselves attracted in any fashion to such drivel.
    Perhaps they merely somewhat overstate their enthusiasm?

It could very possibly be due to the considerable difference in my age compared to many on this site. (For example, my children are in their 50’s.)

I was raised in a time when diagramming sentence structure in third grade was de rigueur and Latin fluency was an
    expected accomplishment by the eighth. Ambiguity was something to be avoided and precision was considered an attribute of erudition. Within the goal of said preciseness, by custom and practice both the sender and the recipient, as a matter of education and practice, avoided inference and expected that what was said was only what was meant. Hence, I meant solely what I said, and my statement was absent any moral implications toward those who enjoy the genre.

So, in clarification, I find the genre silly, and am unimpressed that serious men would enjoy such silliness. That they do is their liberty and business.
    As a fellow old fart traditionalist (my kids are in their 30s and 40s), I truly understand and respect your perspective, but also recognize that others' acclaim for lighthearted fun regarding the movie in question (which I haven't yet seen), shared by some here, is not at all the same thing as thoroughgoing approval of, belief in, or recommendation for emulation of, the tactics and actions in said film.

All of us are dead serious about some things and lighthearted, even flippant, about some others.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

User Tag List