Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Halle in John Wick/3

Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    Perhaps they merely somewhat overstate their enthusiasm?

All of us are dead serious about some things and lighthearted, even flippant, about some others.
    Well, I have been told that I need to learn that there is more to life than "fricasseed frogs and eel pie” so there is that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray01 View Post
    Well, I have been told that I need to learn that there is more to life than "fricasseed frogs and eel pie” so there is that.
    I esteem you the more for being aware of C. S. Lewis' Narnia series.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Quote Originally Posted by Gray01 View Post
    It could very possibly be due to the considerable difference in my age compared to many on this site. (For example, my children are in their 50’s.)

I was raised in a time when diagramming sentence structure in third grade was de rigueur and Latin fluency was an
    expected accomplishment by the eighth. Ambiguity was something to be avoided and precision was considered an attribute of erudition. Within the goal of said preciseness, by custom and practice both the sender and the recipient, as a matter of education and practice, avoided inference and expected that what was said was only what was meant. Hence, I meant solely what I said, and my statement was absent any moral implications toward those who enjoy the genre.

So, in clarification, I find the genre silly, and am unimpressed that serious men would enjoy such silliness. That they do is their liberty and business.
    This is a very very welcome and refreshing perspective. Thank you and respect.

For clarification, no disrespect or implied judgment to those that enjoyed the Wick films. As my post history shows I'm the antithesis of a "serious man".

Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    I esteem you the more for being aware of C. S. Lewis' Narnia series.
    Thank you kind sir, I try to stay encouraging...”Very likely, what with enemies, and mountains, and rivers to cross, and losing our way, and next to nothing to eat, and sore feet, we’ll hardly notice the weather, but the bright side of it is… that if we break our necks getting down the cliff, then we’re safe from being drowned in the river...”

Site Supporter
    I would also submit that “serious men” being distracted by silly fare is nothing new. Look at the number of books sold by Mickey Spillane, Ian Fleming, and Don Pendleton. I believe I have read that President Kennedy was quite the fan of Fleming and had a private screening of Dr. No. John Wick is nothing more than an extension of the same kind of escapism.

Site Supporter
    Two hours of creative, close-up, killing. My kid and I enjoyed it. Way more than #2.
    The storyline was not as compelling as #1, but I enjoyed the fighting and effects more than #1.
    And the fight scene in the knife shop had us both laughing out loud. And who wouldn't want those dogs, or Halle?
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

A whole movie of gun fu and head shots. I expected nothing more and enjoyed it. The Good, the Bad, and The Ugly reference near the start made me smile maybe more than it should have.

I did feel like the lore of the world was jammed down our throats a bit harder than the second one, but fancy 2011 action makes up for it.

Site Supporter
    Just watched it. Over the top? Yeah. Absurd? You betcha. Enjoyable? Fuck yeah dude, it was like watching a Judo match with gunfights spread throughout.

I go to the movies for emotional catharsis at times, and others, I just go for shits and giggles. You can probably guess which one this was.

I do admit to finding little enjoyment in watching movies or TV series about healthcare, as being an employee of healthcare has made it impossible to get through a single one without just being annoyed by it. I do have difficulty understand why my fellow medical colleagues do, but that's just me questioning their choice in entertainment, not me feeling superior to them. In fact, many of them are people I'd absolutely trust with my life and the life of my family.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Okay, when Zero the Asian assassin was behind the counter right before he was offered the contract did anyone catch the odd few notes of music from Kill Bill?
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

I didn't but it did make wanna have some sushi.

I was hoping he would do more with a lego SA revo he put together in the museum. Seemed like it was going somewhere until it didn't.

I was expecting Anjelica Huston to eventually shoot the tattooed ballerina who kept fumbling the dance. Over the top should be over the top.

Wonder how many takes it took to shoot that quad load sequence.

Let's see what they do in JW4. They got Glocks and STI covered already, Taran needs to come up with something else.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

User Tag List