Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Springfield EMP 3": Initial Range Report

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    If it's "grabby" then it hasn't been fitted well enough, yet.

It should unlock and lock smoothly. When it does, then what should happen under a controlled feed principle is that as the round moves up the feed ramp, the barrel starts tilting back upwards from it's lowest position, it will catch the nose of the round and support it, while the case rim slides under the extractor and everything chambers. A mistimed barrel will thus not support the round properly during feed and cause the nose to jam right into the barrel feed ramp.

It's "close" because it runs ball, which is slippery enough on the nose to slide past the hiccup caused by the not properly fitted barrel. I bet if you looked close, there is a spot on the feed ramp with some extra copper on it from the bullets hitting.

You can "cheat" your way into functioning, by raising the magazine up higher and making it a "straighter" shot into the chamber, or by 'polishing' or throating the ramp to eliminate the speed bump, but it's all unnecessary if the barrel is fit right. FWIW, Wilson mags work, by short-circuiting the controlled-feed and delivering the round higher and straighter into the chamber. It's one reason they work so well across even problematic guns, because lots of 1911 barrels aren't timed right, but are "close enough" that you can get them to work.
    That's a lot of really useful info there. I don't know much about 1911's, so I appreciate you sharing that.
    As an aside, I have an EMP 3.0 in .40 that has never had an issue feeding JHP or the commonly-available .40 cal truncated-nose FMJ. I hope they get it worked out for you. They really are neat little guns.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    If it's "grabby" then it hasn't been fitted well enough, yet.

It should unlock and lock smoothly. When it does, then what should happen under a controlled feed principle is that as the round moves up the feed ramp, the barrel starts tilting back upwards from it's lowest position, it will catch the nose of the round and support it, while the case rim slides under the extractor and everything chambers. A mistimed barrel will thus not support the round properly during feed and cause the nose to jam right into the barrel feed ramp.

It's "close" because it runs ball, which is slippery enough on the nose to slide past the hiccup caused by the not properly fitted barrel. I bet if you looked close, there is a spot on the feed ramp with some extra copper on it from the bullets hitting.

You can "cheat" your way into functioning, by raising the magazine up higher and making it a "straighter" shot into the chamber, or by 'polishing' or throating the ramp to eliminate the speed bump, but it's all unnecessary if the barrel is fit right. FWIW, Wilson mags work, by short-circuiting the controlled-feed and delivering the round higher and straighter into the chamber. It's one reason they work so well across even problematic guns, because lots of 1911 barrels aren't timed right, but are "close enough" that you can get them to work.
    I will second DallasBronco... great info. Thanks a lot for taking the time to put that whole process in perspective. I wrote a note asking them to check the lugs/link/slide stop/hole dimensions... and that I think it could be slightly out of time. Hopefully they give the gun it's due diligence. But it seems like feed ramp recontouring/polishing is the go-to fix for a lot of 1911 issues.

I do like the gun. I like how it shoots, and especially how it carries. It seems very solid and well made, too. Finish is excellent. No slop in the slide, trigger and safeties are very well fit. I know they run very well for a lot of people. Hopefully they get this one 100%.

Site Supporter

Well, my EMP is on its way back...

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-06-10 at 4.36.13 PM.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  69.5 KB

I mentioned timing/barrel fit... looks like they checked it--good. And to no one's surprise... feed ramp work + extractor tune. That's fine by me. Honestly, I'm pleased (so far) with Springfield's service and turnaround time. The request was easy and painless and the turnaround was quick. If it runs Hydrashoks, I'll be a satisfied customer.

Not that I give a crap whether I carry Hydrashoks... but I just feel it should run the garden-variety JHPs you find on most shelves.

I'll update when I get it back/shoot it.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 06-10-2019 at 06:52 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Name:  Screen Shot 2019-06-10 at 4.36.13 PM.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  69.5 KB

I mentioned timing/barrel fit... looks like they checked it--good. And to no one's surprise... feed ramp work + extractor tune. That's fine by me. Honestly, I'm pleased (so far) with Springfield's service and turnaround time. The request was easy and painless and the turnaround was quick. If it runs Hydrashoks, I'll be a satisfied customer.

Not that I give a crap whether I carry Hydrashoks... but I just feel it should run the garden-variety JHPs you find on most shelves.

I'll update when I get it back/shoot it.
    Good luck, hope it works. The EMP is a pistol I want to be reliable and durable.

Site Supporter

Feed ramp comparison

Before:
    Name:  image1.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  25.6 KB

After:
    Name:  image2.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  22.0 KB

Haven't shot it yet. But...

The biggest difference I see is the very top of the ramp/bottom lip of the chamber: the contour is more angled now. You can see the little bevel(?) leading up into the chamber. That's where the HPs hung up, before. So, by my crude logic... I'd say they're gonna feed now. I think the entire ramp might be slightly more concave, as well. And possibly a bit more polished.

It kinda seems like a no-brainer: the rounds definitely have a more favorable trajectory (now), leading into the chamber. And that begs the $64,000,000 question: why aren't the ramps cut like this to start with?

Unless they're supposed to be, and mine just wasn't. Or, as RevolverBob seemed to suggest, it's more or less just a band-aid for an issue of improper barrel fit/timing. Even if that is the case, it still seems like the updated ramp geometry would work a lot better for its intended purpose--which is, after all... to feed bullets. Only drawback I can see is that, maybe, it reduces case support? Or maybe it just costs more to make those cuts.

In any case, the gun ran great before, with FMJs. So hopefully this just expands its ability to digest a wider variety of bullets.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 06-14-2019 at 12:44 AM.

I have a 3" EMP that I bought several years ago . . . shortly after they became available in local gun stores. Purchased it for my non-shooter wife, and she never took to it.

Perhaps I have one that is an exception, but I have had no problems (following an approximately 50 round break-in) with 124 gr. Speer Gold Dot HP's, Remington 124 gr. BJHP's and hand loads using Montana Gold 124 gr. JHP's.

I have migrated to the use of CZ's almost exclusively for 9mm pistols these day, and the EMP has been sitting in my safe unused for quite a long while. But I wouldn't hesitate to use it for self defense should the need arise.

Site Supporter

Great success!

I'm happy to report that my EMP ran through 20 rounds of Sig V-crown JHPs just fine. Also put about 100 rounds of FMJ through it--no problems. Really happy with the way the gun shot (10 yards):

Name:  IMG_5403.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  22.0 KB

I added some Stoner CNC G10 grips + some granulate tape on the front strap. Felt like I had much better control, vs. the stock grips. Also, I had a few casings to the head, last time I shot it--none of that this time. Extractor tune must have done it some good.

In all...

I'm quite happy with the gun. It feels very high quality and well made. The slide-frame fit is tight, but not obnoxiously so. Both the safety and beavertail have a nice positive feel. It feels better put together than the Wiley Clapp CCO I had a few years ago (my only other 1911, to date). The trigger is very nice, but not unnervingly light. You can feel the series 80-ness--though it's not obtrusive. Feels just about right for a SAO gun I'm actually sticking in my pants. And, that said, it carries very well. I stick it in a low-riding generic holster at about 1:00. Disappears. Doesn't really bother me when I'm sitting/driving, either. It feels more svelte IWB than my P239.

Yes, I did have to send it back. But, here's the thing: I feel like I have a very nicely made gun with hands-on reliability tuning... all for $720. And that's a big reason I decided to spring (pun!) for it. Figured a trip to the factory was likely, if not a forgone conclusion... so I'd be getting (in essence) a free reliability tuneup. Works for me. And to be fair... it worked fine with FMJ, and maybe it would have worked with other HPs. But I figure now it's good to go, either way.

As I get more rounds through it I'll throw in an update here and there. Thank you for your patronage to this thread.

User Tag List