Thread: Really, really long rambling question about owning too many guns.

Really, really long rambling question about owning too many guns.

This sort of bridges several different sub-groups so I thought I would put it in General.

This is going to be really, really, long.

I have recently sold off several guns that I didn’t really like that much and that I didn’t see a practical use for. Which has kind of caused me to “get the bug” and now I am wanting to sell off even more stuff. At the same time, I have also gotten the bug to get several other guns.
    I am conflicted. While I would really like to own several of these guns, at the same time, I would also like to have fewer guns to store/insure/etc.

On my want list:
    -Smith and Wesson 66-8 – Because I had a 686+ that I enjoyed years ago but it always seemed too big, I have never had a K-frame, I would like to try one. But I fear, it will wind up being just like my Model 60 I am looking to ditch.

-Ruger Flat top 45 ACP/45C – Because I think I would have some use for it and I would enjoy shooting it and I don’t currently have a 45ACP gun. My concern is that I will wind up ditching it just like I recently did my 9mm/357 version because I didn’t really use it and I preferred to shoot .38 in a Smith and 9mm in a Glock. I also had a pair of Vaquero convertibles 10+ years ago that I got rid of because I didn’t use them. But the also were old larger frame and didn’t have adjustable sights.

-Glock 19 Gen 5 MOS – Because I have read they are an upgrade on my Gen 3s and it would offer me the opportunity to try out RDS without having to resort to milling. My concern is that they really won’t be a noticeable upgrade for me and I already have an overabundance of Gen 3 19’s and a Gen 3 23. I would hate to get new ones for no reason.

-Mossberg 590 50670 – I used to have one that I enjoyed (still have the bayonet &#128522 With the interchangeable chokes, it would technically be useable for even crow hunting. My concern is that I really wouldn’t use it and miss my M1 Benelli.

On my ditch list:

-Smith and Wesson 60 3” (New production) - I don’t really like it that much. I bought it as a “pair” with my Model 63 3”, which I LOVE.

-Pair of Colt 6920s – I went on a buying spree many years ago and lucked into several of these. I have a pair of them that I have only test fired and they spend the rest of the time crowding my safe. I have held onto them thinking there would be another election spike, but I fear the market would be saturated even if one did happen. They are LE Restricted marked, so they might have some collector value but I don’t figure I will get anything for them. So I have held onto them.

-Stevens 311 20 ga – Both this at Whittaker’s a long time ago because I always wanted a double. I used it for a while, but I haven’t in years. I hate to get rid of it though because it does fit me well (read good hits) and I don’t figure it will be worth anything.

-Benelli M1 Super 90 Tactical – I bought this back in the 90s. One of my very first “tactical” acquisitions. It used to be my house gun but has since been replaced with a RDS equipped AR. I go years before I shoot it.

-Benelli M1 20 ga and Benelli M1 12 ga – These are the shotguns that I use primarily when I crow hunt. I bought the 20 ga for my wife, she shot one round, one time and cried and won’t use it. I use the 12 a lot. While they both are extremely durable and have never had a malfunction that I remember, if I were to get a 590 that I could use for both shooting crows and “Home Defense” I wouldn’t actually “need” these anymore and I could get rid of all 3 Benelli’s. If I felt the need to have a “traditional” shotgun instead of using a “tactical” one for hunting, I could use the Browning BPS that I got from my Dad.

All this stuff is just churning around it my head. I really don’t get to shoot as much as I would like to or should, so it is probably a waste of money for me to do anything other than just sell most of it. Every year when I write that several hundred dollars check to the insurance company for all those guns, or do an annual cleaning/wipedown I wonder if I should just sell all but just a bare minimum.

But I do enjoy guns.

For reference, back many years ago I did a safe cleaning on Gunbroker where I got rid of a bunch of pistols/rifles/shotguns that I didn't use and I really don't miss any of them except that Walther P5.

So, if you have stuck through all of this:

What would you/have you done?

ETA: I just noticed that as I finished this and hit send, Down With The Sickness was playing on my phone.
    Last edited by Crow Hunter; 05-28-2019 at 02:14 PM.

I only like them, not LOVE them.

I’ve reached an inflection point during Hurricane Katrina and its aftermath. I wasn’t there but I’m from BTR, LA. Then we had extensive flooding here in 2016.
    While we didn’t lose anything MANY people did.

I think as a result of seeing my people with NOTHING I changed.

I’m no longer emotionally attached to much of this stuff.

I’ve discarded a lot; bought a few bicycles. Will dump more.

As an engineer I’ll always follow developments but I no longer covet much of it anymore.

It’s a process that hopefully we all reach AT THE TIME OF OUR CHOOSING.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Life is too short to agonize over which guns to buy and which to sell.

So, I decided to just buy lots of them.

If you're finding yourself with a desire to downsize, getting rid of things that are redundant and/or easily re-acquired in the future.

Start selling what you want to get rid of and then wait a few months at least before buying anything. That amount of time will enable you to understand better what you really need, what you really want and what merely caught your eye.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Life is too short to agonize over which guns to buy and which to sell.

So, I decided to just buy lots of them.

If you're finding yourself with a desire to downsize, getting rid of things that are redundant and/or easily re-acquired in the future.
    This is a very good point looked at in reverse.

Selling a G19 or even a Benelli M1 would be fairly easy to "reverse" should I change my mind.

Finding another Stevens 311 that shoots like mine with M/F chokes would probably be extremely difficult.

I appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    This is a very good point looked at in reverse.

Selling a G19 or even a Benelli M1 would be fairly easy to "reverse" should I change my mind.

Finding another Stevens 311 that shoots like mine with M/F chokes would probably be extremely difficult.

I appreciate it!

When I went down you list of "sell" I was basically like, "I wouldn't get rid of the Stevens or the M1 Super 90." - Because they are not making either of those anymore and they would be harder to re-acquire (and likely cost considerably more than they originally did).

In terms of your "wants" - I sort of see them as all relatively available. So, I wouldn't get in a hurry to acquire them (unless for some reason they really do stop making 686+s or Ruger Flat-Tops).

I think you could probably downsize and take the cash and stick it in an envelope and put it in the back of the safe. When (if) you get the urge or you find the right deal, pull some out and get it.

Me? I'm a cheapskate and patient. I'll shop for YEARS looking for the best deal on things if necessary. I try never to buy new what can be bought used for a reasonable reduction in price. And the end result is, I'm a favorite for the used gun rack at the shop. The secret is to have the cash on hand to buy the deal when you find it. Which is the point of this ramble, downsize and stash the cash, shop for good deals, and when you find them, take them. In the end, you'll tend to be happier with a purchase if you got a good deal, than if you paid full price. And you'll worry a bit less about the "capital" sitting in the safe.

When I think about it, I have not bought a brand new gun in basically a decade. But I've purchased probably a dozen + in that time. I never worried too much about the outlay in cash or finances of the safe, because I never pay full price. That's probably why I don't ever think of "downsizing". Who cares if I haven't fired those two Mossberg 3000 (870 clones built by Howa in Japan) riot guns but once in five years? Not me, because I paid $125/each for them and that's why I bought them, because one can never have enough, inexpensive, pump, 12-gauge, riot guns, that work.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Me? I'm a cheapskate and patient. I'll shop for YEARS looking for the best deal on things if necessary. I try never to buy new what can be bought used for a reasonable reduction in price.
    The only thing better is buying new when someone is blowing them out cheaper than used. Except on S&W revolvers, where the older ones are probably still a better value.

In the end, you'll tend to be happier with a purchase if you got a good deal, than if you paid full price. And you'll worry a bit less about the "capital" sitting in the safe.
    I've also been on a selling kick, starting in the fall. I've liquidated several items that I tried and simply decided weren't for me. Fortunately, I got them at such low prices that I've only lost a little bit of money, easily an acceptable exchange for the first-hand knowledge. Cheaper than renting, frankly.

Mossberg 3000 (870 clones built by Howa in Japan) riot guns but once in five years? Not me, because I paid $125/each for them and that's why I bought them, because one can never have enough, inexpensive, pump, 12-gauge, riot guns, that work.
    How did I not know about these? I like me a Howa bolt gun.

It has occurred to me lately that if for some unexpected reason I was transported back to CA without any of my guns, I'd still be able to buy a pair of USP9 Compacts, a 1301 Tactical, a bolt gun in .308 and one or two rimfires each in long and short. Add a Dillon and I'd be just fine. Don't ask me to explain rationalize why I have all this other stuff...
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Don't ask me to explain rationalize why I have all this other stuff...
    In the scheme of things. I could do just about everything I need to do with a gun, with a J-Frame. I mean, you can carry them pretty much everywhere. Loaded with powder-puff loads they can handle target shooting and practice. Loaded with medium loads defense against moderate sized predators. Loaded with Lehighs, will do for big NA predators in a pinch. And loaded with snake and rat shot for dealing with the little critters.

A pair of J-Frames, with good sights (and/or CTC grips), IWB holster, shoulder holster, ankle rig, pocket rig, and a few speed loaders and speed strips - That's all I really need. I've been using a Colt D-Frame lately in this role, but I was reminded the other day that it is not a pocket gun and though I want it to be it just isn't as compact as a J-Frame.

This does remind me, I still need to go get that 2.5" 638 from my buddy.

The only thing I can think of that I can't do with a J-Frame is bird hunt. And that's just easier down with a scattergun. A pair of J-Frames, and a side-by-side Paradox would serve me perfectly. And every once in a while, it's so tempting to get rid of everything but that. But then I remember that usually what is motivating that is my OCD tendencies to obsess over minutiae and perfection and if I just take a break from thinking too hard about that, I can chill out.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 05-29-2019 at 12:40 PM.

I rarely sell, only buy. I will sell if its a duplicate and not a backup and I am acquiring something else. The reason for this? Having re-bought several firearms because I got back into whatever that was or my forays into other systems were inferior to what I sold to acquire it so I went back.

Site Supporter
    I think that after careful consideration the OP should put some guns on consignment at inflated prices. I've had two guns on consignment for 5 months and I really don't miss them. I should probably check in on them and make sure they haven't sold by now. I've had plenty of time to bring them back home, but so far I've had no change of heart.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

User Tag List