Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Extra Magazine Carry

When carrying two spares and I'm not wearing my radio, I like the Raven double Copia.

When carrying a single spare (most common off-duty and admin), I like the Raven single Copia.

When carrying two spares along with my full complement of gear, I find the Blue Force Gear 10-Speed to be a good option....it's overwhelmingly popular at my work. If you're using Glock 19 15 round mags, the draw speed sucks and is fumble prone. If you're using Glock 17 mags, or 19 Mags with an extension (I'm using Taran Tactical +5s), then it's fine. Concealment isn't as good as the Raven pouches, either.

With my prior service weapon, the SIG P229, I used single Basic Mag Carriers from CCC. They concealed great, and being narrow singles it was very easy to arrange them in a good fashion around the other gear on my belt.

When I went through a more demanding 3 month training course that featured a lot more pressure testing in adverse conditions than the basic agent course, I found out that the level of retention from CCC BMCs and the like (Kytexs, and some other brands I can't remember that I was issued), was not acceptable. I constantly lost mags. So, I tightened down the Copias which gives me really good retention, and also negates the issue with the retention screw falling out as I found to be an issue when setting them to CCC BMC/Kytex levels of retention. The BFG 10-speed also has good retention with Glock mags, much more so than the BMC or Kytex.

YMMV.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Hi Risk Customer Services
    I have a Dark Star Gear Koala for AIWB use. Really like being able to reverse the cant with it.

JM Custom Kydex OWB Version 3 is my go to. I use them at work, off duty, and keep them around the house. works well even with light concealment garments. Still want to try a NeoMag.

This is weird. I had not previously read this thread. A few days ago, I was looking for a IWB/AIWB pouch and found the Snake Eater Tactical, thought it looked good, ordered it. It'll be here in the next day or two.

The fact that quite a few folks here have recommended it, pleases me.

For OWB, I use a Red Nichols China Clipper (1911).

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Most commonly, when concealment is a priority, in my front left pocket.
    GJM is a muuuuuch more professional shooter than myself, and I used to pocket carry butted up to my wallet on the support side too, since I don't keep a wallet in the back anymore for nerve reasons, and the wallet helped printing.

I stopped earlier this year though and here's why. I primarily use a G5G17 and there's only two things that have made it not run, ever. One is Buffalo Bore +P flat nose hardcast. The other was in the Low Light shoothouse class at NW Tac Con this summer. The drill included shooting with a randomly loaded mag until empty, reloading, then shooting again, in complete darkness. The pistol wouldn't fire immediately after the reload from pocket and wouldn't respond to two or three TRB's either. At that point I asked the instructor to come over, and I also noticed the barrel wasn't fully raised into battery either. He shut the firing line, took it and "fixed" it on his table, all the while I'm turning red and wanting to be anywhere but there. The issue was that a giant ball of pocket lint had lodged in the feed lips of the pocket mag and proceeded to go into the chamber in front of the first round, preventing it from seating all the way and also return to battery. Tony Mayer and I think some others were there, dunno if anyone remembers. I always will.

I've never pocket carried since. Your mileage may vary.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    This is weird. I had not previously read this thread. A few days ago, I was looking for a IWB/AIWB pouch and found the Snake Eater Tactical, thought it looked good, ordered it. It'll be here in the next day or two.

The fact that quite a few folks here have recommended it, pleases me.

For OWB, I use a Red Nichols China Clipper (1911).
    I’m not sure if you saw but if you ask Snake Eater Tactical will send you mag pouches designed around single stack 1911 mags as opposed to his standard double stack pouch.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by STI View Post
    GJM is a muuuuuch more professional shooter than myself, and I used to pocket carry butted up to my wallet on the support side too, since I don't keep a wallet in the back anymore for nerve reasons, and the wallet helped printing.

I stopped earlier this year though and here's why. I primarily use a G5G17 and there's only two things that have made it not run, ever. One is Buffalo Bore +P flat nose hardcast. The other was in the Low Light shoothouse class at NW Tac Con this summer. The drill included shooting with a randomly loaded mag until empty, reloading, then shooting again, in complete darkness. The pistol wouldn't fire immediately after the reload from pocket and wouldn't respond to two or three TRB's either. At that point I asked the instructor to come over, and I also noticed the barrel wasn't fully raised into battery either. He shut the firing line, took it and "fixed" it on his table, all the while I'm turning red and wanting to be anywhere but there. The issue was that a giant ball of pocket lint had lodged in the feed lips of the pocket mag and proceeded to go into the chamber in front of the first round, preventing it from seating all the way and also return to battery. Tony Mayer and I think some others were there, dunno if anyone remembers. I always will.

When I pocket carry a magazine I put it in an Uncle Mike’s J frame pocket holster and have nothing else in the pocket. I hope that is enough to keep it somewhat oriented and lint free.

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    I’m not sure if you saw but if you ask Snake Eater Tactical will send you mag pouches designed around single stack 1911 mags as opposed to his standard double stack pouch.
    Interesting. I actually got it to hold an STI mag.

It arrived today, this is a versatile piece of kit. FYI, it holds an STI mag, or a 1911 mag, or even a speed strip loaded with .38! Though that last one is a tight fit. That said, I’ll order another one for precisely that purpose to hold a speed strip on my shoulder holster.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Interesting. I actually got it to hold an STI mag.

It arrived today, this is a versatile piece of kit. FYI, it holds an STI mag, or a 1911 mag, or even a speed strip loaded with .38! Though that last one is a tight fit. That said, I’ll order another one for precisely that purpose to hold a speed strip on my shoulder holster.
    I really like it although it is a very mission oriented piece of gear. As I mentioned earlier in the thread it would not do well in a class (at least for me) due to the difficulty in reinserting magazines without taking the pouch off but for every day use it is more comfortable than a kydex model.

I tried the pouch today with the STI. Worked good, but due to diet issues, I’ve put on a few too many pounds and AIWB carry is too uncomfortable right now.

So, turned into a speed strip carrier on my upside down shoulder holster.

Name:  FF58BB49-557F-4545-9AF0-9461C1673F2A.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  47.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by STI View Post

When I pocket carry it's still in a Snake Eater mag pouch. I hadn't opened this thread either, good food for thought

User Tag List