Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2533343536 LastLast

Thread: Tensions with Iran

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    From BBC News:

An explosion has caused a fire on an Iranian tanker near the coast of Saudi Arabia, Iranian media say.

The vessel, from Iran's national oil company (NIOC), was 60 miles (97km) from the Saudi port of Jeddah.

The ship's two main storage tanks are said to have been damaged, causing an oil spill in the Red Sea, but no-one was reportedly injured.

Iran's foreign ministry claimed the vessel had been "targeted twice" but did not provide further details.

On Friday morning, an unnamed source told Iran media the vessel was struck by missiles "probably" originating from Saudi Arabia.

But the NIOC later denied the claim. It said two separate explosions took place aboard the ship that were "probably" caused by missiles.

The explosion is yet to be independently verified, and details of the tanker itself are unclear. Iranian state TV earlier identified it as the Sinopa, but the NIOC later said it was another vessel named Sabiti.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

even a museum piece F-14 remains a dangerous foe.
    F-14's and F-16's came on the scene about the same time in the 70's.

A fighters capability doesn't equate 100% to the airframe and engine. The weapons systems are also important.

New systems have been developed to upgrade old aircraft. The F-16's being upgraded and sold to foreign countries is a good example.

I know nothing about F-14's being upgraded but the F-16 is alive and well as a capable fighter with upgrades. You can see them on the test range almost everyday south of Gila Bend, AZ. They can still move and shoot.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/mil...d-fighter-jet/
    Last edited by Borderland; 10-11-2019 at 11:48 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    lol.

That radar can't even "see" an F-35 or F-22 to make the range of the AIM-54 relevant.

They also can't be of danger if they can't get in the air and are destroyed on the ground, especially since there's pitifully few.
    The mission capable rate of the F-35 is so low I’d be worried about OUR jets getting off the ground. Insofar as the AD systems go, a smart Serbian Colonel took down two (not just one as popularly discussed) F-117s with a 1960s era SA-3.
    Underestimating one’s enemy is a poor strategic decision.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Site Supporter
    Some reports breaking claiming more than 400 killed.

Amnesty says at least 208 killed in Iran protests
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Iran has had a problem for some time with dissidents. I think the problem is too many well educated Iranians. I used to work with 2 who left Iran when Pahlavi was run out. Both of those guys were engineers educated in Iran. There are a lot of things that piss off Iranians these days, mostly to do with their economy and lack of opportunity that was much better when the US was supporting the Shaw. Many would leave Iran if they could according to the engineers I worked with.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

No big deal they shot one of these down, right!?! We have 3 more!

Now just 2 until they can fix this one:

https://theaviationist.com/2019/12/1...e-middle-east/

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Iran has had a problem for some time with dissidents. I think the problem is too many well educated Iranians. I used to work with 2 who left Iran when Pahlavi was run out. Both of those guys were engineers educated in Iran. There are a lot of things that piss off Iranians these days, mostly to do with their economy and lack of opportunity that was much better when the US was supporting the Shaw. Many would leave Iran if they could according to the engineers I worked with.
    I worked along side an Iranian immigrant awhile back. I taught him to shoot a handgun and he had me over for dinner with the family. Discussed the Iranian populace at length and he and the wife were adamant that 80%+ of the Iranian populace wants the hardliners gone. The internal security forces have very big boots on the throat of the population.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by FNFAN View Post
    I worked along side an Iranian immigrant awhile back. I taught him to shoot a handgun and he had me over for dinner with the family. Discussed the Iranian populace at length and he and the wife were adamant that 80%+ of the Iranian populace wants the hardliners gone. The internal security forces have very big boots on the throat of the population.
    I have an Iranian-American (his family moved here when he was a little kid, around the time of the revolution) coworker who says essentially the same thing.

He was already a gun nut when I met him though.

Chris

Cool

Damn two threads that have gotten testy fun! How did I miss them. what happened to the professional discourse, that I have grown to respect you all for.

FYI Iran and Iraq suck. They are ashtrays with oil. Who cares. I got some whiskey to drink.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbninftry View Post
    Damn two threads that have gotten testy fun! How did I miss them. what happened to the professional discourse, that I have grown to respect you all for.

FYI Iran and Iraq suck. They are ashtrays with oil. Who cares. I got some whiskey to drink.
    Iranian Girls are hot... could be a whole new generation of war brides. Looks like at least one troop is already getting after it...

Name:  722F8A40-3F7F-4D18-84C8-0A4AE3DC5F58.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  36.7 KB

User Tag List