Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Tensions with Iran

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    It accelerates the earnings forecast for US Defense contractors. Peace is bad for business.
    When have we been at peace?

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    When have we been at peace?
    The direct answer is technically “never”, but scale matters.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Dont worry this time will be different and we will get oil out of it and pay for the war, zero cost to the taxpayer.... forget the blood and bodies we dont count that...

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    The Saudis will fight and fight hard. They will not quit until the last drop of American blood is spent.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    The Saudis will fight and fight hard. They will not quit until the last drop of American blood is spent.
    They were damn lucky the US intervened in the first Iraq war, or the oil war.

SA, Oman, Yemen, Kuwait and maybe Iran would have ceased to exist if not for US intervention.

The US would have become oil independent a lot sooner.
    Last edited by Borderland; 09-15-2019 at 01:26 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    how important is the Middle East if we are not oil dependent?
    I suppose there will always be concerns about Israel being more or less continuously threatened by its neighbors, and humanitarian concerns about the treatment of minority sects within any given Islamic country, but in terms of actual strategic/economic interests for the USA, I'm hard pressed to come up with anything about the middle east that matters once you remove oil from the equation. It's not like sand is a scarce resource, after all.

Site Supporter
    Without Oil and Israel, we have no interests. A general increase in oil prices that impact rest of the world may have economic secondary effects on us, though.

As far as protecting democracy or bringing democracy to that region - that is the business of the people who live there.

Now MSM is saying Iran attacked Saudi Arabia with cruise missiles......that they were launched from Iran.

https://youtu.be/ni6stxODJAE

That should just about guarantee retaliation by Saudi Arabia. They have plenty of US weapons.

https://www.businessinsider.com/saud...-charts-2018-3
    Last edited by Borderland; 09-16-2019 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post

That should just about guarantee retaliation by Saudi Arabia. They have plenty of US weapons.

https://www.businessinsider.com/saud...-charts-2018-3
    But apparently not a viable Air Defense system.

Kidding, sorta kinda. I just find it curious that what 7 cruise missiles and as many ‘drones’ manage to penetrate Saudi Air Space and take out large chunks of refinery capability? By flying over water? I mean, really?

I’m way out of my lane, so if there are any no kidding Old Crows here I’d be interested in their take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Their air defense was high altitude missile oriented, or so I read.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    But apparently not a viable Air Defense system.

Kidding, sorta kinda. I just find it curious that what 7 cruise missiles and as many ‘drones’ manage to penetrate Saudi Air Space and take out large chunks of refinery capability? By flying over water? I mean, really?

I’m way out of my lane, so if there are any no kidding Old Crows here I’d be interested in their take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't know anything about drones but I know a few things about cruise (Tomahawk) missiles. Rocket motor, fairly fast at 550 mph, terrain hugging, <500', GPS targeted/guided which requires navigation satellites. Both US and Russia ???? has an abundance of those. Most static air defense systems can't deal with that low altitude approach, especially once they're over land. Once launched they hit their target about 90% of the time. Truely a kiss your ass goodbye offensive weapon. I had some training on the GPS guidance systems in the 90's. It's been upgraded substantially since then. All of the navigation systems in new cars is an offshoot of the DOD cruise missile program.

I don't doubt that the SA air defense system puked. I'm thinking that the US has never sold them an anti cruise missile air defense system for obvious reasons. I doubt that Iran has one either. So sad.
    Last edited by Borderland; 09-18-2019 at 07:40 PM.

User Tag List