Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Tensions with Iran

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    BBC is reporting the Iranians have also seized the Mesdar, which is Liberian-flagged but British owned. However, it does not appear any British citizens are on board either vessel.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    Do they have any carriers?
    Yes, the Queen Elizabeth class, if memory serves one is floating and one is under construction.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

At least one.

https://apnews.com/e28d5ce56956498ebf54dc7190e548a3

Last edited by RJ; 07-19-2019 at 03:45 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    A quick internet search on current seapower shows that the British fleet is a mere shadow of its former self. Another example of Europe banking on the "peace dividend" after the end of the Cold War and depending on their Ally to do the heavy lifting.
    The Royal Navy is the principal naval warfare service branch of the British Armed Forces. As of November 2018, there are 74 commissioned ships in the Royal Navy. Of the commissioned vessels, twenty are major surface combatants (six guided missile destroyers, thirteen frigates and one aircraft carrier), and ten are nuclear-powered submarines (four ballistic missile submarines and six fleet submarines). In addition the Navy possesses two amphibious transport docks, thirteen mine countermeasures vessels, twenty-two patrol vessels, four survey vessels, one icebreaker and two historic warships (Victory and Bristol).

The one aircraft carrier is fairly new and not sure it is deployable or equipped with aircraft yet. Also, 20 surface combatants does not = 20 ships deployed simultaneously, some will be unavailable due to repairs, upgrades, etc.

"Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!"
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    BBC is now reporting the Mesdar was boarded but later allowed to continue.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Site Supporter
    The QE is not operational. No air wing and in for repairing a leak. No way the U.K. can fight Iran conventionally.

A quick internet search on current seapower shows that the British fleet is a mere shadow of its former self. Another example of Europe banking on the "peace dividend" after the end of the Cold War and depending on their Ally to do the heavy lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    Yes, the Queen Elizabeth class, if memory serves one is floating and one is under construction.
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    The Royal Navy is the principal naval warfare service branch of the British Armed Forces. As of November 2018, there are 74 commissioned ships in the Royal Navy. Of the commissioned vessels, twenty are major surface combatants (six guided missile destroyers, thirteen frigates and one aircraft carrier), and ten are nuclear-powered submarines (four ballistic missile submarines and six fleet submarines). In addition the Navy possesses two amphibious transport docks, thirteen mine countermeasures vessels, twenty-two patrol vessels, four survey vessels, one icebreaker and two historic warships (Victory and Bristol).

The one aircraft carrier is fairly new and not sure it is deployable or equipped with aircraft yet. Also, 20 surface combatants does not = 20 ships deployed simultaneously, some will be unavailable due to repairs, upgrades, etc.
    Wow. I had no idea the Brits were so "compromised" in their naval capabilities. 74 ships? Damn, that's quite a departure from their history.

Site Supporter
    Well...I'm sure the Brits can sort it out...after all, they're still party to the Iranian nuclear deal so the Iranians definitely won't pull shit like this on them....oh wait.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Iran will secure the Strait of Hormuz and not allow any disturbance in shipping in the key oil transport waterway, Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi said on Tuesday during a visit to Paris, the state new agency IRNA reported.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-m...-idUSKCN1UI2MG
    #RESIST

User Tag List