Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Need a new J frame, please recommend

Site Supporter
    At the moment I’m using a P238 as a pocket gun but am considering renting a S&W .380 Bodyguard as I’d prefer the DAO to Condition One if only to limit the amount of lint that gets under the hammer. They are smaller enough than the 42 to make a difference in my pockets.
    Last edited by sharps54; 05-13-2019 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Even an LCR?
    I have a S&W model 37, Ruger LCR, Glock 42, and S&W Shield M2.0. The LCR gets carried the most only because it can take the +P HST and is almost as small and comfortable as the 37 for pocket carry. The Glock 42 is a laser beam for me on a different level than anything else including a Glock 43 and 19. Wherever I need that bullet to go with the Glock 42 it goes with almost no effort. If it didn't need a holster it would go everywhere with me.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Here's another situation that happened at our office 2 years ago (and bear in mind that we are in a ritzy suburb of Atlanta, not anything close to sketchy): a crew of 2 perps rolls up and is breaking into cars in the parking lot. 2 employees see suspicious activity and walk out to confront and get guns pulled on them by the perps, at which point they retreat and call the cops. 25yds is about 8 parking spots wide. Not that far in the real world and a 100% valid reason to be taking that shot from the way the story was told to me. It would certainly raise suspicions if I walked out to my car every day for lunch with a bag slung. Pocketed J-frame = no issue.

On the 43 front, believe me, I wish I could. That would solve all the issues. I've tried it a few times and just found the rear of the slide to be a huge printing issue vs the rounded rear of the J-frame receiver.
    I don’t mean for this to sidetrack your thread but mission drives gear and maybe if your mission is clarified it can make more suitable gear choices.

Is it wise for unarmed untrained people to confront potential car burglars in the parking lot? I can only speak for myself but I would not do it. My understanding is that most robbery type crimes occur really close because criminals need to be able to take your stuff at arms reach.

When you said 25 yards in an office I was thinking active killer situation in which case, if he’s 25 yards away, there’s a pretty good chance you’ll be able to access an off body full sized semi auto depending on the layout of the office. Unless you happen to be the first person he shoots, you’ll have a little bit of time to access it. Most offices have doors, cubicles, and other impediments that would keep the shooter from noticing you going for a gun in a laptop bag.

Now when you’re talking about someone intentionally looking for trouble, then I think no pocket carry will work. Two employees who are not trained security guards who yell snd confront car burglars are looking for trouble and no pocket carry gun, or even a semi auto handgun of any size is really suitable. I’d want a shotgun or carbine for that personally.

You have to define what is likely to happen to you. I don’t know you or your circumstances but I have worked in offices and if pocket g43 carry didn’t work, then I’d probably just carry a j-frame or maybe even a clinch pick pocket carry and have an off body in laptop bag glock 19 or 17 with WML.

I personally struggle to envision a situation where the Jframe or CP wouldn’t be good enough for average robbery defense or a violent criminal actor looking to assault you. And any scenarios I can think of in an office that require a 25 yard shot, that I would get into, would give me time to grab a semi auto from a laptop bag.

Or at least any survivable situations at 25 yards. If an active shooter has an AR15 pointed at me at 25 yards, probably not survivable even if I have a G17 in OWB holster because he has the initiative.

I live close to the Braselton area and work all over Atlanta. I EDC a S&W 43c with Stingers. I can get reliable head shots at 15 yards and body shots at 50 yards although at that distance I'd probably be looking for some other place to be, preferably that serves coffee. I pocket carry the 43C daily unless I'm at the range running drills. I have yet to have a failure to fire with the Stingers but would recommend cycling the ammo more often than centerfire. If the .22 LR bothers you the 351c is also a good option. Again good ammo makes the difference in reliability.

If you'd like a centerfire option you could look around for a 432 or 332. Both are lightweight and .32 Mag is no slouch.

Or you could just drop another $350 and get another 642...
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    I think the M&P 340 has the best factory j-frame sights.
    This^. Pricey but worth it. I have one as my work BUG.Best sights available on a non steel frame J.

I also have a 640 pro. While very nice, the weight makes pocket carry impractical. 640 PRO is a belt gun.

PS - I previously had a 340 M&P that shot about 8” right at 25 with irons. They never truly fixed it but they did improve it and reduce the right deflection to 3-4” at 25. You should take advantage of the S&W warranty and make them fix yours. My 642 is dead on within the limits of my abilities but it was made in the 90s which apparently was a long time ago....
    Last edited by HCM; 05-14-2019 at 01:30 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by powell556 View Post
    I don’t mean for this to sidetrack your thread but mission drives gear and maybe if your mission is clarified it can make more suitable gear choices.

Is it wise for unarmed untrained people to confront potential car burglars in the parking lot? I can only speak for myself but I would not do it. My understanding is that most robbery type crimes occur really close because criminals need to be able to take your stuff at arms reach.

When you said 25 yards in an office I was thinking active killer situation in which case, if he’s 25 yards away, there’s a pretty good chance you’ll be able to access an off body full sized semi auto depending on the layout of the office. Unless you happen to be the first person he shoots, you’ll have a little bit of time to access it. Most offices have doors, cubicles, and other impediments that would keep the shooter from noticing you going for a gun in a laptop bag.

Now when you’re talking about someone intentionally looking for trouble, then I think no pocket carry will work. Two employees who are not trained security guards who yell snd confront car burglars are looking for trouble and no pocket carry gun, or even a semi auto handgun of any size is really suitable. I’d want a shotgun or carbine for that personally.

You have to define what is likely to happen to you. I don’t know you or your circumstances but I have worked in offices and if pocket g43 carry didn’t work, then I’d probably just carry a j-frame or maybe even a clinch pick pocket carry and have an off body in laptop bag glock 19 or 17 with WML.

I personally struggle to envision a situation where the Jframe or CP wouldn’t be good enough for average robbery defense or a violent criminal actor looking to assault you. And any scenarios I can think of in an office that require a 25 yard shot, that I would get into, would give me time to grab a semi auto from a laptop bag.

Or at least any survivable situations at 25 yards. If an active shooter has an AR15 pointed at me at 25 yards, probably not survivable even if I have a G17 in OWB holster because he has the initiative.
    You way over think things.

Equipment can dictate tactics. You work with what you have.

If confronting someone like a car burglar when pocket carrying (or anytime) you get to choose when, where and how to confront them. This is a significant advantage. It lets you do things like have your gun already in hand before said confrontation.

There is also a difference between confronting them so they flee and confronting them to detain them. The former is a fairly simple proposition.

Off body carry should always be a last resort. Murphy’s law says the one time you are separated from you of body carry wil be the time you need your gun.

What about a S&W 60 Pro? Factory front night sight. https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...eries-model-60

Or

LCRx 3”? Aftermarket front night sights available. https://ruger.com/products/lcrx/specSheets/5431.html

Boot style grips available for either gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    No fleas on that. Some may even prefer the orange-insert blade front to the M&P 340's big dot and the intermediate price is attractive. The unfluted cylinder just adds a touch more mass for recoil mitigation if that's your thing.

It appears the Safariland 25 doesn't have flute impressions.
    https://www.safariland.com/products/...ter-10989.html
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Anyone successfully carrying a 43 in a pocket holster? If so, what holster?
    AHolster works for me depending on how the pocket is cut.

My 43 replaced a 642. I don’t think it’s possible to match a hammerless j frame for pocket carry.

The 43 is decent if the pockets are cut more vertical than horizontal. The drawstroke is back and up to clear the rear of the slide and release from the holster.

I have a pair of jeans with a more horizontal pocket cut and the 43 just won’t come out cleanly. The 642 came out no problem.

With both guns, the weight and shape of the gun make it obvious there’s something bigger and heavier than car keys in the pocket. I would expect a knowledgeable person looking for a gun would notice.

User Tag List