Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Need a new J frame, please recommend

consider what you have, what are your handgun requirements, and what you think you need. a snubnose revolver was and still is meant for ECQ defense as an EDC CCW, no more or less. that one can hit beer bottles at 25 yards was not its intent from the get-go. its forte, particularly in guns like the 1lb airweights is extreme concealment which means that the larger percentage of street clothing won't allow printing. if you need that kind of concealment, which pretty much guarantees it'll get carried daily, stick with an alloy j-frame - if not, you know what to do. as to the .38spl standard or +P cartridge, i believe it's just a viable today as it was many decades ago - so do the legions of perps it's terminated. if there are issues with yer 642, send it back to smith and get it fixed. my 642c has been the best handgun investment i've made in 60+ years. to each their own and i hope you find the right gun for the right requirements.
    Last edited by rfd; 05-13-2019 at 11:10 AM.

What about a 43 or even a 26 in a smart carry or belly band?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not a fan of off body carry, but if I were in you shoes there would be a semiauto in my laptop bag.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

This is 25yds with the laser:

And this is 25yds with the irons (tops of blades holding top of black on B8):
    Edit for clarification: The rounds in the black were from my G45. The rounds out on the left are from the 642, hence the barrel timing/clocking issue.

And 7yds with the irons:
    Last edited by ASH556; 05-13-2019 at 01:03 PM.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

For any shooting beyond a few yards, I would take a G42 over any J frame sized revolver.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    For any shooting beyond a few yards, I would take a G42 over any J frame sized revolver.
    Even an LCR?

The LCR with stock grips didn't work for me for pocket carry. I'm not sure what laser grip options are available because I've never really looked. If you can make it work you could buy the caliber of your choice and a second in .22 as a trainer and be slightly over the cost of a 640 pro or 340.

I think if you decide to go the Smith route again I wouldn't buy one without being able to handpick the revolver you are buying.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Anyone successfully carrying a 43 in a pocket holster? If so, what holster?
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Site Supporter
    The LCR really isn't a pocket gun, which is a shame because it is by far easier to shoot at distance than a J frame for me.

I keep a LCP custom on my person almost always day or night. If out in public I'm well aware I'll have to carefully pick my shots because a body hit at 20 yards is about all I could do at distance.

Otherwise I take the standard approach. Run to avoid the bad actor, be a good witness from safety and if cornered by said bad actor, dump the guns capacity into his chest (or pick a head shot if feasible), and either run or try to get my hands on him to do the Jiu Jitsu thing.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Anyone successfully carrying a 43 in a pocket holster? If so, what holster?
    I can sometimes carry my 43 in an Aholster. I have considered a 42 just because I think it may be a little smaller and it may be enough to make a difference.

User Tag List