Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Need a new J frame, please recommend

A S&W fixed sight, .38 SPL, should be factory regulated to shoot standard velocity 158 grain bullet to POA equals POI. Back in the 80’s, I had to send a nickel plated Chiefs Special into the factory. Shot way low, left.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Edster View Post
    AHolster works for me depending on how the pocket is cut.

My 43 replaced a 642. I don’t think it’s possible to match a hammerless j frame for pocket carry.

The 43 is decent if the pockets are cut more vertical than horizontal. The drawstroke is back and up to clear the rear of the slide and release from the holster.

I have a pair of jeans with a more horizontal pocket cut and the 43 just won’t come out cleanly. The 642 came out no problem.

With both guns, the weight and shape of the gun make it obvious there’s something bigger and heavier than car keys in the pocket. I would expect a knowledgeable person looking for a gun would notice.
    The last paragraph is why I vacillate between J frames and mini .380’s like the Kahr P380, Sig P238, and S&W Bodyguard. The autos are small enough to really conceal in my trouser pockets unlike the snubbies. I can use a holster with a panel (like the Nemesis) to break up the gun outline but the result is a larger than wallet size square bulge.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Anyone successfully carrying a 43 in a pocket holster? If so, what holster?
    I use an RKBH holster, and it’s excellent. Last I heard, they’re no longer making holsters.

Last time I took my J Frame to the range, I finally conceded it’s not a viable option for me. If the G43 is too big, I go with the P938.

If I had to purchase a new J-frame, I would be sure to inspect it in person before purchasing. I would probably opt for a M&P 340. It has the tritium sights and is black, meaning less likely to draw the eye if exposed within the pocket. It meets the weight need with the aluminum and Scandium alloy frame at fourteen ounces.

That being said, I would consider carrying a Glock 26 or 43 in a tuckable holster. I have been able to do so in dress clothes on a regular basis with no issues. I use a Milt Sparks Nexus with the Kydex clips replacing the self-closing loops with a G26.3 with a SCD. Mine sits just fine a bit around 2:00 on my waist. It is not as fast as a pocket holster, but it has the advantage of being better concealed and I much prefer ten rounds of 9x19 to five rounds of .38 Special. Since I am playing the odds, I am willing to sacrifice draw speed for better concealment as the latter is much more of a day-to-day concern. The thin construction, low ride, and extreme cant of the Nexus work well to conceal the short Glock butt.

Kramer Leather also offers a holster that clips to the waistband and is covered by the belt. The gun actually sits below the waistband, so a dress shirt can be tucked over the gun and bloused around it. That is the same technique I use with the Nexus. It requires the use of long-tail dress shirts for easiest wear.

Glock 42 for the win. Just make sure it has all the newest updates. Mine has been flawless and rides in my pocket everyday.

separate the wheat from the chaff. read HCM's posts in this thread, he's spot on.

consider yer task's requirements, review the available tools, then carefully make an informed decision.

Hammertime
    I like revolvers and recently considered buying a member’s great J frame deal currently in the classifieds.

Ultimately I decided the G42 is just a much better solution to the pocket carry problem.

The LCR 9mm is a very reliable and accurate gun that is punishing to shoot. But moon clips are oh so nice and 9mm is all around and has great ballistics out of the revolver. It’s too big for a pocket in my life.

I have pretty much given up on pocket carry actually. For deep concealment the best solution I have found is a thin belt directly on skin with a smallish gun (G26 Max) riding IWB to that belt very low. Then dress around that.

I carry a 640 pro.

If I was in your situation, I'd buy a 9mm LCR. The trigger on my 640 was terrible until my gunsmith polished it out (and removed metal shavings, QC on my piece was terrible ) and the DA LCR trigger is great. 9mm has .38/.357 beat in virtually all aspects that matter, IMO.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    How about this: Shoot 7 yard and 25 yard test targets from a rest. Then find a good S&W gunsmith, call him, and send the gun off for repairs (with the targets so he can see the problem). Or call S&W's service department and talk to them. (I don't know what their turnaround time is, though.)
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    How about this: Shoot 7 yard and 25 yard test targets from a rest. Then find a good S&W gunsmith, call him, and send the gun off for repairs (with the targets so he can see the problem). Or call S&W's service department and talk to them. (I don't know what their turnaround time is, though.)
    I think the OP has since sold the j frame in question. I think the last time I sent a gun in it was less than two weeks. That includes shipping to and from Georgia.

User Tag List