Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Met the Lipsey's rep at "Ruger Days;" got talked into a flattop .44 special...

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    That’s a gun. Want photos of the rep ....;-)
    Back in the day, a PYT selling magazine subscriptions talked me into a three-year subscription to G&A. In fairness, I had had a little bit to drink....
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Back in the day, a PYT selling magazine subscriptions talked me into a three-year subscription to G&A. In fairness, I had had a little bit to drink....
    If that's the worst thing a PYT every talked you into, you ain't doing too bad...
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    My neighbor has a golden retriever that is completely unfazed by fireworks. He trained her as a puppy by playing fetch on the field across the access road from the pistol lanes at the local public outdoor range.
    My buddy and I took his GSD to classes to tame him down around fireworks/gunfire... That dogs parents must have been first cousins, because the thing tries to attack muzzles/brass ejecting. Needless to say, he stays leashed around folks shooting, now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, this thread put me over the edge so I ordered a 44 Special Bisley from Bud’s. My local FFL is on vacation for a couple weeks so I have time to order some brass and get some ammo loaded before it gets here.

On dogs, you can train a dog to be obvious to fireworks or guns. Bird hunters have to do that training early on. I've had 3 bird dogs and trained everyone of them myself. Start when they're about 2 months old and introduce them to the noise. I used an old 38 snubbie loaded with a primer, no powder or bullet, just a primer. When you feed the pup walk away from the dog (30') and pop a cap. They get startled but if you act like nothing happened and reassure them they just go back to eating. Do it once every day until you can get close to the dog without them being startled. They get used to the crack and think it's something associated with you and dinner. They generally like both you and dinner so they get used to it.

On 44 Specials. I've wanted one for a long time. I'm a S&W snob and recently started looking for one. S&W has abandoned the 44 spl so all that's out there are used. Most in decent shape are >1K. That's disheartening because I don't like paying more than 1K for anything I shoot. I'd rather put the money into components, loading and shooting.

Rugers are fine, I own a Mini-14 that runs like gazelle. Not real accurate but that isn't the reason I bought it. I wanted a dependable carbine and that's what I got. I had a Ruger BH many years ago and considered buying another one. Now I guess I better look at this one if I can find one. I'll call the dealer today to see if they have any.

Thanks for posting that.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Oh, PYTs with southern accents...
    Went to the store to buy a tie. Blond PYT helped me find just the thing. Walked out with three pairs of pants, two shirts, a blazer, four ties, and a fake phone number.

LOL.

Got my Flattop yesterday. I already have .44 Special Ammo to shoot so I guess the next time at the range I'll have to give it a try.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Oh, PYTs with southern accents...
    Went to the store to buy a tie. Blond PYT helped me find just the thing. Walked out with three pairs of pants, two shirts, a blazer, four ties, and a fake phone number.
    Sounds about right.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Went to the LGS today and they had a 5.5” .44 Special Flattop Bisley. First one I’ve seen in person.

Can’t afford it right now. Put a deposit on it anyway.

I keep debating a 44 spec ruger, but trying to justify it when I have a 44 mag already is difficult. Aren’t the frames the same Size on the new models?

User Tag List