Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The official Rock River "Poly" thread

The official Rock River "Poly" thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post

But mostly I’m chimming in because I actually own a RR poly, and it’s been excellent. With the caveat that it’s a sample of one, I am surprisingly happy with mine. I had to be talked into it by the LGS, I mean, nobody goes into a store looking for a plastic 1911 for Pete’s sake, but it’s been Gen5 G19 reliable for Gen 5 G19 money—and nobody was more surprised by this than me. May well be one of my best gun purchases ever, since it ticks the boxes, and runs for less than 7 bills (minty used) OTD.

I’ll stop short of recommending them universally, but I will recommend keeping the idea in mind if you want a functional shooter/beater. JMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    I made the mistake of renting a RRA poly 1911 today.

Initial opinions from me are favorable. It combines the best parts of 1911s and polymer guns. I found recoil to be noticeably easier to manage than with the same ammunition through a steel framed gun. I didn't think it would be, because it's considerably lighter, but it was, possibly owing to the slightly thicker grip which dissipates recoil, or perhaps because the polymer frame offers more flex during the recoil cycle.

Gonna be buying thicker grips for the current .45 while pondering. Perhaps a thicker grip is better for my recoil control.

As a RRA it was also stupidly accurate.

I'm super ghey for 1911s but I feel like RRA has something unique. I'll be buying one as soon as funds permit to further evaluate. On shooting characteristics alone I was impressed. And I'm not easily impressed.
    Some of the 1911s peeps here were asking about this gun, and I believe that there are currently only two of us here that own one, per above. This will probably change once more folks have shot them, but for now, I figured I’d offer up a quick take, and get a reference thread started.

Most here probably know about Rock River: evidently to some extent a Baer-employee spin off that used to do "semi-custom" 1911s prior to going all-in on the AR frenzy of the post 2008 era. They're back at 1911s again, and the word is that the same guy who did the old ones is back doing the new ones, including this version--the "Poly," so named because it has a polymer single-stack frame. At first, I wasn't all that eager to even look at the thing in the LGS case, but holding it revealed both great fit on the slide assembly, a fantastic trigger, and a noticeable weight decrease over an all-steel gun. Recent reviews online say that it's easy to mistake for an aluminum frame, and I certainly concur. Note that the frame also fits into my Invictus leather, as well as accepting a kydex trigger guard--it's that close.

In shooting, I was almost stunned, especially for the price: the feel is what I imagine an 85/15 mix of all-steel Gov't model and, say, G5 G17 would be—which is good. Recoil feel seems to actually be a hair *less* punishing than a steel Gov't (whether due to the wider backstrap, or frame flexion, or some combination of both) and the feed smoothness is surprising. It appears to chow through both ball and 230gr GDHP with less clacking around than either my Colt, Springfield, or now-departed Kimber. The only gun that I've had that I remember cycling with as little drama was a Dan Wesson valor series, and this is certainly in the same category of frame-to-slide fitment. The plain black sight picture is enormous, with a fat post, plenty of light, and a rear ledge designed to rack the slide for one-handed manipulation.

In all, I wasn't sure what to expect while shooting, but the Poly may be my favorite 1911 just in terms of feel while throwing lead downrange. This gun may well be the new go-to answer in the age old debate as to if one can find a carry-reliable 1911, out of the box, for under a grand. Worth a look, for those who are open to the material difference.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

1K words:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Does it have a separate, standard-dimension mainspring housing? Asking for a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Does it have a separate, standard-dimension mainspring housing? Asking for a friend.
    Your friend should be able to swap the flat, polymer mainspring housing for an arched one, if desired. Or whatever. RRA offers arched and flat versions with 20, 25 and 30 lines per inch.

Site Supporter
    Awesome! Have you measured the trigger pull?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Awesome! Have you measured the trigger pull?
    Just with my finger, as I don’t own a gauge.

My finger says "maybe 4.5-5, smooth, really nice break." But my finger often speaks out of turn.

Site Supporter
    This is very interesting and now you have me reading reviews!

I read that the grip is fatter, how do you like that?

What is the weight savings vs a traditional 1911? Seems to be 6 ounces are so from a spec sheet I read.

I wonder how hard these are to find.

Site Supporter
    There aren't a lot of reviews out there, but a range local to me sells them and rents them.

I was fairly impressed. Made me think of a 2011 but with single stack mags and a pedigree similar to if Les Baer made an 800-900 dollar 1911.

The controllability is no joke. It was easier to shoot than a steel framed government model .45. Full stop.

I'm excited to put a few thousand down range with one, but a railed version or a Commander version in 9mm would be badass.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    There aren't a lot of reviews out there, but a range local to me sells them and rents them.

I was fairly impressed. Made me think of a 2011 but with single stack mags and a pedigree similar to if Les Baer made an 800-900 dollar 1911.

The controllability is no joke. It was easier to shoot than a steel framed government model .45. Full stop.

I'm excited to put a few thousand down range with one, but a railed version or a Commander version in 9mm would be badass.
    I agree that the controllable nature is surprising. Since the serialed part is a module that is held into the frame with the screws, it is entirely conceivable that a railed frame could be on the way. I *think* they are working on the 9mm. I seem to remember reading that.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    This is very interesting and now you have me reading reviews!

I read that the grip is fatter, how do you like that?

What is the weight savings vs a traditional 1911? Seems to be 6 ounces are so from a spec sheet I read.

I wonder how hard these are to find.
    The fatter grip is a little weird until you start shooting, then it’s awesome. They are about 32oz (same as typical standard dust cover aluminum 5") so, a hair over 6oz saving from 38oz Gov’t slabside, yes. Any RRA dealer can order one up.

User Tag List