Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So your back is on fire and so is your leg - modify your EDC

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    A couple of weeks ago, I came down with a truly agonizing pain in my lower back and down the front of my leg. I could not walk more than a few feet without a blaze of pain about a 9 on the doc's scale. Long story - spinal stenosis run amok. Going to physical therapy. No competitions for me. Don't lift any thing heavy (so that's that for my gym plan).

However, the daily gear up of a Glock, extra mag, Surefire, Delica might contribute a bit to the agony. Glock is in an OWB on the side of the pain, mag opposite - on my hips. Knife and light clipped to pockets.

Thus, I want to lighten up. I'm thinking about carrying my SW 432 and a speed strip (limited capacity for the zombie fight and slow to reload) for a light weight reasonable gun. Might drop the Surefire for a 5.11 pencil light in my breast pocket.

I'm a decent J frame shooter so that doesn't bother me but lower capacity - OY!

Thoughts?
    I’d be toting my 642 or G42 in a quick minute if it gave me relief from what you’re describing. I do carry different things on different days in deference to pain levels as it is.

Good luck.

A G48 centerline should help the pain while offering a far more effective pistol. And with your concerned about capacity will hold one less round in gun than your 432 and its speedstrip. I woukd rather have that without a spare mag if you're trying to save every gram than the J frame
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Been there, though the back issue was not spinal, and resolved itself relatively quickly. I had a 642-based PC J-snub, and, visited the local enabler to add one of the early, pre-Scandium, Ti-cylinder J-snubs. (340?) This resulted in a somewhat balanced weight distribution. I no longer remember the holster solution, or the rest of the load-out.

Heal quickly!
    Last edited by Rex G; 05-13-2019 at 09:49 AM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

If you can rotate your shoulders forward (not everyone can, especially those with rotator cuff injuries), then a shoulder holster may well be the right move, to get the gun off the waistband and give your back a change to heal. Your shoulders can carry quite a bit of weight, just like your hips can, individually, but together, they can do a very nice job carrying more (i.e., get some suspenders).

For an airweight J - The #57 AE Nelson Upside-Down Shoulder Holster - http://aenelson.hostcentric.com/prod...roducts_id=328

Stick a speed-strip in your pocket.

If you want to balance it out a bit, you can rig up a fixed blade knife or a pouch to hold a speedloader on the offside.

Hiding a shoulder holster in San Antonio in summer would be its own circle of hell.

Get well soon, Glenn.
    Real guns have hammers.

Site Supporter
    That's true. I'm going with an OWB for the 432 for awhile. Thanks for the good wishes. Phys. therapy is the plan. Yesterday, got a nice woman PT person to stretch me in all appropriate directions. More on Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy View Post
    Hiding a shoulder holster in San Antonio in summer would be its own circle of hell.

Get well soon, Glenn.
    Nah, not an upside down rig with a snub.

It's not any worse than trying to hide a pancake holster carrying a snub.

So on a different note.. get a Foundation belt from langdontactical.com it will REALLY help with the back pain as its not stiff in the back just where it needs to be!!!! then ad a light gun AIWB to it.

Trust me!!!!!
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    That's true. I'm going with an OWB for the 432 for awhile. Thanks for the good wishes. Phys. therapy is the plan. Yesterday, got a nice woman PT person to stretch me in all appropriate directions. More on Thursday.
    Phrasing!

About a year ago, my back went out. I had gotten a new stiffer belt. I was pocket carrying a G-26, a spare 17 round mag, 3 flashlights, wallet, a couple knives, plus a bunch of other stuff. I ditched the spare mag and some other stuff and went back to my less stiff Wilderness belt. I also went to the chiropractor several times.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago. My back had been fine. I decided to wear my newer stiffer belt again. My back started to hurt, so I went back to my Wilderness belt again and things cleared up.

User Tag List