Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So your back is on fire and so is your leg - modify your EDC

This week I was waiting for my wife to get ready for a Walmart run. When she was ready I got up off the couch and had a sharp pain from my right hip down my leg.

Since this was the third or fourth time I’ve had this pain in as many years, I went straight to the new cobra to replace the 5” 1911 I’ve been edc. The new cobra provided instant relief.

The first time this happened it took me about 6 months to get back to carrying service size handguns. It was snubby 38 revolvers that got me thru each flare up and I had to move my pistol from four o’clock to three o’clock on my hip. I also had to limit the items I edc. I know a lot of folks here would say I’m under prepared but when your quality of life is affected you make choices.

I remember when living was easier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have all sorts of back problems from a rare childhood bone disease, and both AIWB and suspenders have helped a bunch. Embrace the old-man-iness and get some suspenders, old man!

Also talk to your PT about continuing routines for strengthening the core and back muscles that will help you avoid this situation better in the future. I like doing farmers carry with only one side loaded, switch sides on each return. You can do it with any weight your comfy with, and I have noticeably less of these pains when I am doing them most regularly.

AIWB is the way to go for back pain, I’m convinced of it. And all the advice for a less-stiff belt, also spot on.

My issues are more cervical than lumbar, but AIWB is still so, so much more comfortable and bearable for all-day EDC. Pocket carry also, with the obvious compromises that it requires.

Also, check out DDP Yoga. Even if the “personality” turns you off it’s a fantastic program with (perhaps even more importantly) a great and functional mobile app that lets you scale a no-impact workout to your needs. From bed-ridden all the way up through super-fit.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OnionsAndDragons View Post
    I have all sorts of back problems from a rare childhood bone disease, and both AIWB and suspenders have helped a bunch. Embrace the old-man-iness and get some suspenders, old man!

Also talk to your PT about continuing routines for strengthening the core and back muscles that will help you avoid this situation better in the future. I like doing farmers carry with only one side loaded, switch sides on each return. You can do it with any weight your comfy with, and I have noticeably less of these pains when I am doing them most regularly.

We can just call it the “Art of Old Manliness” and be on the cutting edge of a new old trend.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    We can just call it the “Art of Old Manliness” and be on the cutting edge of a new old trend.
    As long as we don’t start putting up our dukes Marquis of Queensbury style, I’m in.

Also I have to agree with the upstream post about DDP yoga. DDP is cut from similar cloth as Pat Mac and his personality can be a bit much for some, but he is a truly excellent human being that has spent a lot of time and energy helping others in really meaningful ways.

When my back issues would start to flare up I would wear an LCR in a Galco Stinger on a 1.75” Jones Brothers belt. My BUG was a J frame of some flavor in my left pocket.

Since carrying my VP9 AIWB my back issues related to carrying a gun have ceased.

I got lyme disease in the late 90's on my right lower back I was bit. Ever since then my back has gone out countless times and I'm guaranteed a sciatic pinch at least every two months or less. When my back started going out all the time I found out I have scoliosis and my tail bone goes outward instead of down, so I am a real mess. I also have two torn rotator cuffs, my only way to carry since then has been aiwb and use less rigid belts. I still carry a glock 19 99.9% of the time.

User Tag List