Thread: Advanced Supertest variation - Reload diagnostic

Advanced Supertest variation - Reload diagnostic

I wanted a way to compare what I do from the draw vs what I do after a reload, to see if my grip is changing thus affecting my shooting, and in a fairly easy to track way. I realized most of my reload drills were variants of 1r1 or 1r2 and I didn't do any extended strings. I haven't been to a match in years and thus my reloading while shooting long field courses had went to wayside. Plus I just wanted to challenge myself and change up my range routine.

I decided to modify the Advanced Supertest, a drill that I already track, and add in a reload and a second b8 as an easy to track standard with an already established par time, skill pool, comparative standard etc...So here is what I came up with

Same course of fire as the advanced supertest only adding a second b8. The 5 shots from the draw go on one and the 5 shots after the reload go on the other. So the course of fire is as follows -

15 yards/10 rounds(5 on left b8, reload, 5 on right b8)/15 seconds

10 yards/10 rounds(5 on left b8, reload, 5 on right b8)/10 seconds

5 yards/10 rounds(5 on left b8, reload, 5 on right b8)/5 seconds

I like that it tests at various ranges/speeds/accuracy levels. For instance the 5 yard string is pure speed and at the tip of my performance envelope. The 15 yard string is accuracy intensive and should show any flaws in technique after the reload, plus the added stress of the reload itself. The ten yard string is the famous "the test" which everyone knows of and has an abundance of performance data out there for comparison while also offering a middle ground of speed/precision. Hence why the original Supertest is such a good diagnostic drill. Adding the reload is a fun twist.

I ran it today and here is what I did.

5" m&p 2.0 from a Henry Holsters aiwb under a fleece, slidelock reloads

15 yards - 89/8.81 1.62 draw/46 points 2.23 reload/43 points

Name:  20190511_150447.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  84.2 KB

10 yards - 95/7.31 1.52 draw/45 points 2.20 reload/50 points

Name:  20190511_150734.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  60.3 KB

5 yards - 97/4.92 1.32 draw/48 points 1.94 reload/49 points

Name:  20190511_151022.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  53.6 KB

Total score - 281 (139 from the draw, 142 from the reload)

Surprisingly, on this first run I put down more points after the reload than from the draw. I usually feel that on tests like the fast that I drop more points after a reload while trying to make up for time etc...this first run may be a fluke or it may prove to be consistent. Another surprise was how consistent I scored compared to my non reload runs. I ran a regular version prior to this and had a 283. My theory is that with the generous par's, that I give myself too much time to put conscious thought into the trigger press/grip/sights and end up snatching or otherwise f'ing up shots in the string, whereas in this version I am just on autopilot and can eliminate the conscious thought and just do what needs to be done without overthinking it.

I'll know more as I run it over the next few range sessions. Overall I'm suprised that I put down the score I did, as it is as good as an average go on the advanced supertest that I run regularly. It is a fun variant of the popular test. Give it a shot and see what you can do...share with us what you think and what you learned/how it compares to your normal supertest times.
    Last edited by backtrail540; 05-11-2019 at 03:54 PM.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Hammertime
    Interesting variation. No way could I do 5, reload, 5 in 5 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Honestly i wasn't sure i could either but i managed to squeak it out. I had been running it dry all week and i barely made the par if i did everything right at 5. It just happened to come together on the live run.
    Last edited by backtrail540; 05-11-2019 at 04:17 PM.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Ever shot the USPSA classifier "Can you count?" It's exactly that, twice. One of the more fun classifiers IMO, because it requires pushing pure speed, but it's not one most people are likely to bump up their classification by shooting. Getting all alphas in 5 seconds on each of the two strings is only a low B class run in Production division. The high hit factor is almost 16, which equates to two strings of 5R5 in 3.14 seconds each with all alphas. (GM-level runs start at 15.1449, or 3.3 seconds for each 5R5, again assuming all alphas.)

My current favorite drill is Bill Blower's Hateful 8.

Load the gun with 4 rounds, have two magazines of 2 prepared.

Target is B-8 at 8 yards.

On signal, draw and fire all 8 rounds in 8 seconds.

Goal is to make time and then there are degrees of passing.
    - First is all rounds in 8 ring or better
    - Second is all rounds in the black
    - Third is all round in the black, at least 76 points

I find the drill perfect for forcing me to switch utter concentration between various tasks. If you start thinking about the reload before it happens, you'll miss. If you don't think about the reload, you'll flub it and cost time. If you don't think about shooting after the reload, you'll miss.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

User Tag List